MLB TV

shaudods

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2008
georgia
Anyone have any news on the negotiations between MLB and Dish? I sincerely hope they are close to a deal to add the MLB network in HD! If not I bet that 100k of lost subscribers will just continue to rise as the baseball season begins! If we only had a Sat. company with the HD capacity of D* and the boxes/equipment of E*!!

Anyone have any news on the negotiations between MLB and Dish? I sincerely hope they are close to a deal to add the MLB network in HD! If not I bet that 100k of lost subscribers will just continue to rise as the baseball season begins! If we only had a Sat. company with the HD capacity of D* and the boxes/equipment of E*!!

I am a big baseball fan, as well, shaudods.
Having said that I do not forsee E* giving us MLBN this season. We will not be cancelling our subscription over this as you know they will only be showing a live game in its entirety on an average of one a week. I know the nightly show where they have look-ins and talk is inviting but we will survive it. I am a big Bob Costas fan and really enjoy listening to him talk baseball, but again not the end of the world. We remembeer wating for NFLN and BTN to come and now it is not a big deal anymore.

Together we will get thru this, shaudods :)

When hell freezes over, when pigs fly, the all encompassing, "soon", or next weeks uplink (repeat every Wednesday) .

I would agree, but EVERYONE else has the channel... D*, ATT U-verse, Verizon FIOS... Even ComCANT and Sharter have it (though not in HD)! Why is that Dish is the only company to not come to an agreement with them!

Seriously, if it wasn't for the 2 room DVR capabilities and the upcoming 922, i'd be well on my way to D*... however based on Scott's troubles with the 722K so far, I am a little weary of how well the 922 release will be, considering its a completely new UI!

I had sent a note about this very issue to ceo@dishnetwork.com this week and I got a reply yesterday. Not sure it was written by a person who had English as a first language. I had not ever sent an email to the 'CEO' (he does not get or read them it looks like) before and this form looking response was received:

Dear Mr. Fiachra,

"Thank you for your e-mail. We would like to add MLB Network sooner to make viewers like you happy. Please understand that it is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email."

Sincerely,
Xxxxxxx X.
TID:OR-Cadillac
DISH Network eCare
Please include all previous correspondence when replying.

It will never happen as long as Charlie Ergen is CEO of Dish!;)

The Same Canned Answer

I had sent a note about this very issue to ceo@dishnetwork.com this week and I got a reply yesterday. Not sure it was written by a person who had English as a first language. I had not ever sent an email to the 'CEO' (he does not get or read them it looks like) before and this form looking response was received:

Dear Mr. Fiachra,

"Thank you for your e-mail. We would like to add MLB Network sooner to make viewers like you happy. Please understand that it is our intent to add a variety of programming and services to please current and future subscribers. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email."

Sincerely,
Xxxxxxx X.
TID:OR-Cadillac
DISH Network eCare
Please include all previous correspondence when replying.

Thats the same "canned" answer I have received when I emailed regarding Buffalo Sabres games in HD from MSG.:mad:

Considering how Dish lost out on MLB EI a few years ago, I think that the MLB Network is a real longshot, even longer than getting the infamous YES Network on Dish. After all, in Charlie's mind all of the baseball fans have already left Dish Network.

I would agree, but EVERYONE else has the channel... D*, ATT U-verse, Verizon FIOS... Even ComCANT and Sharter have it (though not in HD)! Why is that Dish is the only company to not come to an agreement with them!

Seriously, if it wasn't for the 2 room DVR capabilities and the upcoming 922, i'd be well on my way to D*... however based on Scott's troubles with the 722K so far, I am a little weary of how well the 922 release will be, considering its a completely new UI!

Is that true about U-verse?
My friend in Dallas area tells me they do not have it with theirs...
Hmmm...

I'm leaving Dish after 10 years if they don't get the MLB Network by Opening Day. DirectTV will inherit another customer. And I'm a Dish "premium" customer paying over $100 a month.

I doubt they lost 100K subscribers over MLB Network. As a retailer I talk to people every day, and the loss of the MLB package cost Dish very few customers.

Sure there was a few last year that cancelled Dish because they had the package in 2007 and could not get it in 2008, but for the most part those customers are already gone!

As far as new customers signing up, people will start asking for it for the first few weeks of April as the baseball season starts but after May it will be a non-issue again.

Its just like Sunday Ticket and the NFL. The last 2 weeks in August and the first 2 weeks in September people ask about it, and might be a little pist that Dish does not carry it, but after that 4 week period people stop asking and we don't get asked about it.

I'll be honest, there is a bigger issue that Dish does not carry the YES Network, than Sunday Ticket and MLB Innings combined. Atleast in any other market you can get your local team, but in NY you can't even see the Yankees. I don't know why anyone would want to watch the yankees anyways, but if you did than you can't get it on Dish.

But really when you think of it, the YES network is the own fault of the Yankees in the first place by demanding too much money to begin with

I doubt they lost 100K subscribers over MLB Network. As a retailer I talk to people every day, and the loss of the MLB package cost Dish very few customers.

Sure there was a few last year that cancelled Dish because they had the package in 2007 and could not get it in 2008, but for the most part those customers are already gone!

As far as new customers signing up, people will start asking for it for the first few weeks of April as the baseball season starts but after May it will be a non-issue again.

Its just like Sunday Ticket and the NFL. The last 2 weeks in August and the first 2 weeks in September people ask about it, and might be a little pist that Dish does not carry it, but after that 4 week period people stop asking and we don't get asked about it.

I'll be honest, there is a bigger issue that Dish does not carry the YES Network, than Sunday Ticket and MLB Innings combined. Atleast in any other market you can get your local team, but in NY you can't even see the Yankees. I don't know why anyone would want to watch the yankees anyways, but if you did than you can't get it on Dish.

But really when you think of it, the YES network is the own fault of the Yankees in the first place by demanding too much money to begin with

Great explanation until the personal commentary.

Thats easy for you to say, but every other Provider Directv, Time Warner Cable and Verizon Fios in my area offer not only YES in HD, but also MSG in HD, since both of the channels are considered to be my RSN.

How would enjoy watching your Detroit Red Wings Claude or your Colorado Avalanche Charlie, in completely over compressed SD on a HDTV, or better yet your Tigers or Rockies not available to you at all?:mad:

Would it really be such a hardship for Charlie to offer YES alcarte?

Dish needs to wakeup fast. TWC and FIOS are catching up rapidily in their HD channel numbers and their new sub offers along with D* are very appealing.

...Dish needs to wakeup fast. TWC and FIOS are catching up rapidily in their HD channel numbers and their new sub offers along with D* are very appealing.

So I guess Direct needs to be worried too, since Direct has only one national HD channel more than Dish...

I just read the Charlie Chat Recap 3/9/09:
A Called asked:

Caller
Q: David
MLB network?
A: We don't carry it because we would have to put it in all of our packages.(we don't want to burden everyone)

There you have it. They must want to package it in some form. I'm totally guessing here but it would add value to the Multi-Sport Package. Some people just dislike sports and do not want to pay for it. When it is available I'll be adding this to my service.

Would it really be such a hardship for Charlie to offer YES alcarte?
It would be impossible, because YES Network has already refused to offer their channel a-la-carte to Dish. YES Network wanted their channel to be on the same packages as the other RSNs (AT100+ or whatever Dish calls that now), at a price somewhere north of $2/sub. Dish declined this offer.

While I understand that most hardcore Yankees fans left long ago for DirecTV, I have to imagine that Dish is continuing to get reamed in the nations #1 TV market due to their lack of YES Network; I can't imagine many new subs, when faced with a choice of two satellite providers with similar programming and costs, picking the service with the local sports teams over the service without.

Sometimes Charlie appears to just get his back up and make questionable business decisions (also see Dish loss of ABC in Seattle / Portland).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)