Could you live with only a dozen channels?

Same here if price was right it would be easy, I watch less than 12 on a regular basis.

I would probably be happy to pay close to what I'm paying now, Just to have the ability to pick and choose. That way I could change as the racing season changes.

If you were limited to watching only a dozen channels could you live with that? A-la-cart for 12 channels.

The problem is this. I basically want to follow a handful of sports teams. Theoretically, you could probably cram all their games on like three channels, then I'd add MSNBC, maybe CurrentTV, and a few channels that carry old sitcoms or whatever and call it a day. Problem is, already the games are spread across a bunch of channels, and in ala carte world, they'd be spread among even more channels as channels previously unrelated to sports tried to pick up a national sporting event of the week to get people to add their channel ala cart. It'd be a nightmare for sports fans. We'd wind up having to subscribe to like 50-odd channels just to see our local teams, and it'd wind up costing double or triple what it does now. Count me out.

Could you live with only a dozen channels?

We have been asking ourselves this for the past few months, and with all the content available online, YES. We mainly watch the locals + a few other channels

Comedy Central
Food
Fox News
AMC
History
Discovery
A&E
TRU
the kids: disney, nick, etc....

NFL Redzone is really important, but we got a response from the NFL stating they hope to have a standalone streaming subscription available for the upcoming season. This will make it a lot easier to cut the cord once again.

I would probably be happy to pay close to what I'm paying now, Just to have the ability to pick and choose. That way I could change as the racing season changes.
That's a good point. I'd probably be willing to pay Latino Dos rates to be able to pick and choose 12ish non-premium channels.

NFL Redzone is really important, but we got a response from the NFL stating they hope to have a standalone streaming subscription available for the upcoming season. This will make it a lot easier to cut the cord once again.
That'd be interesting.

For our household it would be:
Nick Jr
History
TV Land
TBS
Lifetime
Discovery
Disney
Science Channel
E!
Spike

I know that's only 10 channels but those are the ones most watched in our house besides the locals.

I made the assumption that you mean 12 channels you would have to pay to get. I get the following 13 channels free via OTA: ABC, BOUNTY, CBS, CW, FOX & FOX NN, METV, MY, NBC, PBS 1&2, PTB, THIS. 8 are in HD. My 12 channels I would pay for are:
HBO
Show
MAX
Strarz
TCM
ENCORE Westerns
USA
BBCA
SIFI
FSSW
ESPN
ESPN2

USA
A & E
History
TNT
TBS
ESPN
ESPN2
Spike
Cartoon Network
Discovery

I wound up with 10. Forced to take 12, I'd take Animal Planet and Lifetime. But I could most certainly make it on 12. Maybe we can bring back Dish Pix. ;)

WTH??

What kind of reasoning is that???

If you're willing to pay the same, why not have the extra 200 channels you're getting for the same price as 12??? Then you don't HAVE to pick and choose - you already have them.

WTH?

WTH??

What kind of reasoning is that???

If you're willing to pay the same, why not have the extra 200 channels you're getting for the same price as 12??? Then you don't HAVE to pick and choose - you already have them.

WTH?
It isn't that complicated. If you have a lower cost package, like 120 or Dos, it would allow you to pick and choose from stuff only available in 250 or 200. So you are trading many low priority channels you have for a few high priority channels you rather have.

If you were limited to watching only a dozen channels could you live with that? A-la-cart for 12 channels.

I probably shouldn't have include the dreaded a-la-cart words even though we all know that it would be a-la-cart. The actual point to the question is if you could seriously live with it if you were allowed ONLY 12 channels for say $50mo not including OTA's? Would you be willing to eliminate some channels that you may indeed like in order to save $$$? If you had the 200 package would you give up 188 channels to save $30mo? It's not intended to be a serious question, just an exercise in thought, grading the channels you and your family watch. For me the first 6 or 8 is pretty easy but 9-12 would take some consideration.

It isn't that complicated. If you have a lower cost package, like 120 or Dos, it would allow you to pick and choose from stuff only available in 250 or 200. So you are trading many low priority channels you have for a few high priority channels you rather have.

It isn't that easy...

If he's already paying for the channels he wants in the higher tiers, and would be willing to pay the same for 12 channels, how does that make sense?

It isn't that easy...

If he's already paying for the channels he wants in the higher tiers, and would be willing to pay the same for 12 channels, how does that make sense?
It wouldn't make sense, so I gave the poster the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't an idiot and pays for a lower package.

That's the problem, though. A La Carte would be higher. Why the heck would I pay even close to the same as a regular package if I can pick up the package for a few bucks more (or even the same) and have more channels and offerings?

Actually, when it comes to this, I am an id10t. I'm too lazy to set up a favorite list that only includes the channels I want. and I hate scrolling through all the riff-raff. Plus the meer existance of things like shopping channels and radio channels, gets under my skin. If we were given the option to choose what channels we wanted to view, and those that don't get enough viewer support to stay in existance, die, it would free up bandwidth for better PQ and other channels that people would like. Like Fear.net :)

also, i have been accused of picking an unconventional position, just to see what other folks think...

I'd love to see OTA pay services back like SelecTV, ON TV or Z Channel. They were more expensive, but they had better programming. Now they'd be HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts