Countdown!

what countdown? Is something coming?

Geesh yea... Raw in hd... ECW in HD... and the fact that dish cant get their game plan together, and get there heads out of there butt to efficcently communicate why they haven added these channels in HD. (mainly ScifiHD and UsaHD) Or show their coustomers that there still is a fight in them reguarding this hd war. Coustomers want to view the number one rated cable show in hd, not six months from now when the new birds get in the air.

I have been toying with a countdown but have not put it up for a few reasons.

1) The few java countdowns I have tried have not worked correctly, some work find in IE but not in Firefox etc.

2) The closer we get to the launch of RAW on Monday night to more it appears that this is NOT a Dish Network issue but a problem at NBC Universal.

If you notice only DirecTV has USA HD, while a few small cable operators may carry USA HD most of the big companies do not, including COX and Comcast. I am hearing that these companies want to carry USA HD and SCIFI HD, the issue seems to be that NBC Universal wants companies to also pick up other channels such as Bravo HD and CNBC and also they are trying to get operators to pay for special Olympics coverage as well. The issue with the Olympics is the want these companies to pay to show the Olympics and extras when all of the Oylmpics will be LIVE and available ON DEMAND from the NBCOlympics.COM website this year for FREE. These are the sticking points that I have been told by friends in the industry (both satellite and cable tv)

I was going to jump on Dish for not adding USA HD and SCIFI HD by Monday but now I am leaning against it. If all providers but Dish had these channels I would say it would be worth jumping all over Dish, however with no major players carrying the channel shows me that the issue is not with Dish Network, but quite possible the program provider themselves.

Scott, I really think its dish now, I just checked my local lineup to find out that Comcast in my area just added USA HD and SciFI HD

177Sci Fi HDHigh-Definition TV
221USA HDHigh-Definition TV

No Bravo and CNBCHD BTW...

Attachments

• Cocmast2.JPG
    Cocmast2.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Comcast 1.JPG
    Comcast 1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 171
i have read on atleast one other post that it could be added when the hd packages change with the rate increase on 2 1 08

Comcast in the Bay Area has it too. This is their HD channel line-up and it's very close to what E* has except for the Voom channels.

702 KTVU-2 (FOX) HD High-Definition TV
703 KNTV-HDTV High-Definition TV
704 KRON-HD High-Definition TV
705 KPIX-(CBS) High-Definition TV
706 KICU (IND) HD High-Definition TV
707 KGO-HDTV High-Definition TV
709 KQED-HDTV High-Definition TV
712 KBCW - HD High-Definition TV
720 FSNBA (Check Listings For Times) High-Definition TV
722 Versus/Golf HD Sports
724 ESPN HD High-Definition TV
725 ESPN2 - HD High-Definition TV
730 NFL NETWORK - HD High-Definition TV
734 A & E - HD High-Definition TV
735 TBS - HD High-Definition TV
737 TNT HD High-Definition TV
738 USA - HD High-Definition TV
739 Universal HD High-Definition TV
740 MOJO - HD High-Definition TV
743 MHD High-Definition TV
746 HGTV - HD High-Definition TV
750 Discovery - HD High-Definition TV
754 DISCOVERY THEATER - HD High-Definition TV
757 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC - HD High-Definition TV
758 HISTORY - HD High-Definition TV
770 HBO-HD High-Definition TV
780 Starz!-HD High-Definition TV
785 Showtime-HD High-Definition TV
792 Cinemax-HD High-Definition TV

I have been toying with a countdown but have not put it up for a few reasons.

If you notice only DirecTV has USA HD, while a few small cable operators may carry USA HD most of the big companies do not, including COX and Comcast. I am hearing that these companies want to carry USA HD and SCIFI HD, the issue seems to be that NBC Universal wants companies to also pick up other channels such as Bravo HD and CNBC and also they are trying to get operators to pay for special Olympics coverage as well.

The Olympics are bad enough BUT they also want us to pay for the "Special Olympics" ;)

Guys I can only report what I am hearing. I did find it surprising that some of the cable contacts I know steped up to defend Dish Network which had me believing it more. :)

Scott, I really think its dish now, I just checked my local lineup to find out that Comcast in my area just added USA HD and SciFI HD

177Sci Fi HDHigh-Definition TV
221USA HDHigh-Definition TV

No Bravo and CNBCHD BTW...

Sonuva..........

DISH is lucky I have a cable company who always seems to be behind the times (Cox Cleveland). When I signed up only ~3 months ago, they were firmly in second place. The cable co's are aggressively catching up, and DISH hasn't added a single HD in months.

I gotta say... I was and still am willing to hang in there. But, the future's looking pretty grim.

And I'm tired of this "wait till they get more satellites up" argument. They already have some capacity set aside for the two MOST in-demand HD channels.

The answer could be WHEN these cable companies actually inked the deals for carriage of USA (not when they added the channel but when they made the deal to carry the channel). It could be that by the time Dish approached NBC Universal, the deal had changed from what the deal was for some of the other carriers that have the channel now.

See ya
Tony

If it were anybody else i'd give the benefit of the doubt, but Dish has a track record of being hard asses with negotiations all in so-called "protecting rates and the customer." Somehow I dont see dramatic rate differences with this philosophy. Everything has got to be difficult with them.

Just waiting till the end of hockey season...

Then this was a big mistake on Dish part. Should have finalized contracts with Smithsonian or Fox Business channel and lit them up.

I just talked with a friend at Comcast and am told that Comcast does not have a national agreement with USA-HD or SCIFi HD.

Some systems may have it on a regional agreement basis.

Take that for what its worth. :)

If it were anybody else i'd give the benefit of the doubt, but Dish has a track record of being hard asses with negotiations all in so-called "protecting rates and the customer." Somehow I dont see dramatic rate differences with this philosophy. Everything has got to be difficult with them.
This is one thing that Dish has not used that excuse for, in fact Dish has been VERY quiet on this one. (which is kind of strange for them)

Last edited:
Guys I can only report what I am hearing. I did find it surprising that some of the cable contacts I know steped up to defend Dish Network which had me believing it more. :)

Scott were not trying to shoot you... I think we all know and understand whats going on. Trust me when we apprecate ever hard ounce of work that you put into this site and that your conctacts do as well. Thank you to all of them masked men/women out there.

I think we all just wanted to make sure that the correct info is out there. ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)