CountyComm GP-5 SSB ( GEN 3 )

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
Anyone tried one of these handhelds? Just ordered one for $89.95 plus $10 shipping
(I dug my old Yaesu FRG-7 out of the storage building... But nesting mice have destroyed it)

CountyComm GP-5 SSB ( GEN 3 ) General Purpose Radio

The radio covers medium wave 520-1710 kHz shortwave 2300-30000 kHz and the FM band. Unlike most radios in this price category, the GP-5/SSB provides LSB and USB single sideband reception. It has a very unique Easy Tuning Mode (ETM). ETM does more the usual ATS. It scans all frequencies without taking up the memory spaces. So you get quick access to all local stations. Great for the traveler. There are also 450 regular memories (100 AM, 100 FM and 250 shortwave) available for tuning into your favorite stations. Another unique feature of the radio is its removable high sensitivity external AM ferrite antenna. This directional antenna clearly enhances AM band reception. The CountyComm GP-5/SSB even employs DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, improving clarity and tone quality. There is even an adjustable sleep timer.

The new GP-5 SSB is greatly improved over the legendary GP-4L & GP-5 DSP. This radio has been completely redesigned by the engineers and the the factory to be a important part of both your survival kit and your fun kit. The performance of this radio surpasses radios costing 2-3 times more.
Specs:
  • Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Run Time )
  • FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
  • FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
  • FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
  • Antenna Length 18 Inches
  • 450 Station Memories
  • Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
  • Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
  • LCD Backlight
  • Outside Temp Gauge
  • Key lock function
  • External AM antenna Jack
  • Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
  • Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm
Modes : AM, FM, SW, USB, LSB
  • FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
  • --- FM broadcast band includes world-wide FM broadcast allocations
  • MW/ AM: 522 - 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
  • SW: Extended Frequency Range to 1711-29999 ( higher and lower coverage )
  • LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)
Included Accessories :
  • Stereo earphones
  • External AM antenna
  • Soft antenna
  • Carrying pouch
  • User manua
Power Requirements:
  • 4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)
  • 3 each "AA" batteries ( Batteries not included )
  • Dimensions: 6.20" X 2.05" X .80"
  • Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
  • Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2.5 times the output of the GP-4L )
  • Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

Now to run me a longwire. Yeah!

Arm, have been tempted numerous times in the past to take the plunge but never got one. There have been reviews of the CountyComm in The SWLingPost blog, check that out and enjoy the new rcvr.

Too bad about the FRG-7, had a few and they are great receivers.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Spongella, yeah I have read some reviews and watched several ytube videos.

I'll miss spinning around the bands with that big ol' knob for sure. But it's been several years since I had the FRG-7 hooked up... so I'm sure I can survive without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)