couple hd radio questions...

RockinRight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
With TV, they have to use different channels/frequencies to broadcast HD, but radio it seems to be at the same spot on the dial is that right? How can they do that?

Also - is there a list of stations broadcasting in HD? Or can I look up by zip code what HD radio is available in my area?

The digital subcarriers used for HD radio are broadcasted on each side of the audio carrier. That's why some radios will pick up "hashing" sound when listening to a radio station that uses HD or a station next to an IBOC station.. The way they broadcast is known as IBOC, which is In Band On Channel.

There is a list of stations you can find at the following link...

Link: http://www.hdradio.com/hd_digital_radio_format_list.php

Some stations listed may have IBOC turned off for technical reasons and new stations not listed may be broadcasting IBOC.

In most other companies, HD radio is done on a seperate band.

With TV, they have to use different channels/frequencies to broadcast HD, but radio it seems to be at the same spot on the dial is that right? How can they do that?

Also - is there a list of stations broadcasting in HD? Or can I look up by zip code what HD radio is available in my area?

Why would I want HD radio?

I don't understand why I would want HD Radio. The sound quality wasn't the issue; it was the COMMERCIALS! That is precisely why I got Sirius.​

I don't understand why I would want HD Radio. The sound quality wasn't the issue; it was the COMMERCIALS! That is precisely why I got Sirius

For now there are no commercials on the HD-2 or 3 streams and many stations offer alternative programming on those streams!!

If you haven't heard HD radio there is a big difference in sound quality!!
(since it is a fairly new technology some stations are still tweaking)
But most of the stations in my area sound a whole lot better!

For some reason that link only lists commercial stations and only the larger markets. For instance, the list for Boston omits that WGBH, WBUR, and WUMB are all broadcating in HD. A more complete list can be found at http://www.hdradio.com/find_an_hd_digital_radio_station.php.

I live in Boston, and the problem I have with HD radio is that the HD2 streams, do not have analog backup. So if you lose the digital, you are screwed!

I listen to WMJX 106.7 HD2 (Smooth Jazz)

It regularly drops out if I travel 13 miles or so from Boston, 1-3 second dropouts

Don't know if this is a good technology for cars, and if you are moving, then the sound goes away on stations more quickly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)