Radio Shack gets a new leash on life.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Announced today that Standard General has assumed a 9.8% stake in Radio Shack and has assumed it debt to keep the company out of bankruptcy. The stock jumped 40% mid day and is settling in at a 25% gain end of day on the news. Standard General's Soohyung Kim said they would not seek direct management control until June 12th, but the current move will enable Radio Shack to better equip for the Holiday season.

I bought a few hundred shares of this ( RSH ) a couple days ago on the belief that the company was ripe for a takeover.

Walgreen's success story, Joseph Magnacca was hired over a year and a half ago to turn the company around but has failed to do so.

I thought cell phone sales were what kept them alive for this long! I sure wish Charlie had put cell phones into BB stores, rather than (finishing the job of) running stores into the ground.

Reactions: navychop
Charlie never intended to keep the Blockbuster stores open once he realized you can't take a min wage DVD rental clerk and let them to their own resources to sell a black box with a Kangaroo mascot. None of them understood what it was all about nor how to sell it. Easier for them to ring up money losing DVD rentals.

I was hoping Amazon might buy them out but another rumor is Alibaba. Now they could become a B&M extension of the online business.

Charlie never intended to keep the Blockbuster stores open once he realized you can't take a min wage DVD rental clerk and let them to their own resources to sell a black box with a Kangaroo mascot. None of them understood what it was all about nor how to sell it. Easier for them to ring up money losing DVD rentals.

I was hoping Amazon might buy them out but another rumor is Alibaba. Now they could become a B&M extension of the online business.

The blockbuster stores could have had the same potential to be like the xfinity stores. A nice place where you could service your existing dish network account and establish new service

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts