Couple quick questions about DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zidion

Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I just moved into a new apt. complex and they only offer some weird cable company that has NO choices for cable (only 1 package, basic channels and HBO). I am thinking of getting satellite sicne they allow it, but really know nothing about it.

1. Where do they usually install a dish at? I am in an apt complex so its different than a house. Plus the apt complex said we are allowed to get them (but forgot to ask wehre dish is installed).

2. How does the signal connect to the receivers? Do I have to run a wire from the satellite to the receiver, and if so, how is it done (through a window or something?).

3. Are satellite companies really that bad about hidden fees and stuff? I dont want to get stuck paying more than I wanted too.

Thats all for now I guess.

-Z

1. You would need to find out where your apartment will let the installer put a dish.

2. The signal goes to receivers via coax cables. Not kowing your situation, no idea how they would run the cables. Typically not thru a window.

3. There are no hidden fees from satellite companies compared to what cable companies charge/hide. Just be sure you are aware of receiver fees in addition to your first one.

Zidion....look in the phone book and call a local retailer or dealer, no 800 numbers or websites. Depending on the rules of the apartment complex you may ned a specially mount for the dish and some flat wires. ALOT of apartment complexes have very strict rules when it comes to a satellte system. If you're in the Omaha are feel free to pm me.

wobbie said:
Zidion....look in the phone book and call a local retailer or dealer, no 800 numbers or websites. Depending on the rules of the apartment complex you may ned a specially mount for the dish and some flat wires. ALOT of apartment complexes have very strict rules when it comes to a satellte system. If you're in the Omaha are feel free to pm me.

So I shouldnt call directv directly?

Zidion said:
1. Where do they usually install a dish at? I am in an apt complex so its different than a house. Plus the apt complex said we are allowed to get them (but forgot to ask wehre dish is installed).

The dish must be placed where there is a "line of sight" to the satellite. AND you normally will ONLY be allowed to install on your "exclusive use area" that you rent No wall or roof mount; and normally no railing mounts. If your complex says its OK to do any of that GET IT IN WRITTING 1st! from someone in authority; such as the head mgr or the complex's owner.

2. How does the signal connect to the receivers? Do I have to run a wire from the satellite to the receiver, and if so, how is it done (through a window or something?).

Via RG6 cable as stated above, but you can go through windows and under door sills with these. Steren 205-090WH Flat Coax Cable Jumper with F Connectors.

3. Are satellite companies really that bad about hidden fees and stuff? I dont want to get stuck paying more than I wanted too. Thats all for now I guess. -Z

No, and they (DirecTV) even have a new customer system builder to show you your up front and monthly costs.

HERE - Click 'Calculate Your Cost'

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts