Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Court Backs Comcast In DIRECTV HD Suit

An Illinois court issues an injunction to stop the satcaster from running certain ads.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (August 17, 2007) -- A U.S. district court has approved Comcast request's for an injunction blocking DIRECTV from airing TV commercials saying TV installers prefer the satcaster's HDTV picture.

In its filing, Comcast accused DIRECTV of 'outrageous conduct" for running the installer ad, although the satcaster says it's discontinued the campaign. Comcast says the ad is false because the survey of installers was unscientific and misreported.

The court today also rejected DIRECTV's motion for an injunction to stop Comcast from running ads saying its high-def picture quality is better than satellite.

"We’re pleased that the Court has issued an injunction ordering DIRECTV, its affiliates and resellers, to immediately stop airing the false and misleading ads claiming superior picture quality over cable," Comcast said in a statement following the court ruling. "The Court’s order confirms, once again, that DIRECTV's claims are unsubstantiated and based on flawed and unreliable studies."

Comcast continued: "At the same time, the Court denied DIRECTV's motion against Comcast, enabling Comcast to continue airing our ads which show that consumers, including satellite customers, prefer Comcast’s HD picture quality over DIRECTV's. We applaud the Court’s clear and decisive rulings which will protect consumers from being exposed to DIRECTV's unfair and misleading ads, and support Comcast’s claims.”

DIRECTV today issued its response through a spokesman:

"We are quite perplexed by the court's conclusions. The facts simply don't support these decisions. We will appeal these rulings and are confident we will ultimately prevail. At the end of the day, though, it's the customers who matter, and they've shown their preference for DIRECTV over cable in both the recent ACSI and J.D. Power rankings. Those two studies speak for themselves."

Despite the injunction decisions, the case is not over and could still go to trial

Another stupid waste of Comcast money ya they may have won, but what did they win.

They won the "I told you you can't say that " award ...

I hope Comcast prices go up according to how many frivilous lawsuits these guys file.

I'm suprised the court even listened to it.

Jimbo

It's not exactly free speech...when a claim is made based on scientific research, there must be scientific research to back up those claims. All C* would have to do is prove that D*'s claims are not based on scientific research/polls.

Do I agree with how the courts went one way and not the other? Not exactly. I think once the new bird is lit and MPEG4 is the standard for D*, they may be able to fire those commercials back up. I have both C* HD and D* HD and with the recent improvement in several channels on D* (i.e. DiscoveryHD Theater), D* looks better than C*, hands down.

Interesting spin that Comcast wasted the money when D* apparently was making false claims. Making false claims for your products/services is not "free speech." There needs to be some sort of truth in advertising for the free market to work as it should.

Interesting spin that Comcast wasted the money when D* apparently was making false claims. Making false claims for your products/services is not "free speech." There needs to be some sort of truth in advertising for the free market to work as it should.

Truth?.Oh I believe in the truth!.I also believe if you were to go to that judge's house and turn on his TV,you would be watching Comcast Cable!!.;)

Truth?.Oh I believe in the truth!.I also believe if you were to go to that judge's house and turn on his TV,you would be watching Comcast Cable!!.;)

Ding! I feel the same way about the Councilman who doesn't want Verizon FIOS in our city.

Shame that we think that way about our faithful elected representatives. I know my elected officials are squeaky clean...well, except for our state treasurer who was busted for selling cocaine...and our former Senator who had a love child with a member of a different race...and that one time...well you get the point. ;)

I have the exact opposite situation. My neighborhood was designed and built in the 80's (still some parts being built...it's very large), but at the time of ground breaking, Comcast was the bid winner for the underground cabling of all 27 neighborhoods in the plantation. So if I want cable, all I can get is Comcast. Given the other options out there (Knology and Time Warner), this isn't such a horrible thing. Their internet is sick fast (16+Mbps down/2+Mbps up) versus 6down/<1up offered by the other cable co's. But no matter how happy I am with C*, I hate the idea of a monopoly. I am a loyal customer, but my loyalty is attached to the service and product. Show me a better product, and I will change companies in a heartbeat. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts