Court Orders Dish to Drop ALL Distant Networks

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
http://broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6337470.html?display=Breaking+News

In a decision that could have serious implications for EchoStar's satellite TV business, a federal appeals court has ordered a permanent injunction on its importation of distant network TV signals.

"As if the magnitude of its ineligible
subscriber base were insufficiently disconcerting,
we have found no indication that EchoStar was
ever interested in complying with the Act (SHVA). We seem to have
discerned a patter' and practice of violating the
act in every way imaginable."

More here

Thanks to Raymie for bringing this to my attention.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
Froom SkyReport.com

BREAKING NEWS: DISH Responds in Distant Nets Case
EchoStar said it's disappointed with a recent U.S. Court of Appeals ruling concerning distant networks, a move that could shut down the offering delivered by its DISH Network satellite TV service.

For SkyREPORT's story this morning on the distant nets matter see: http://www.skyreport.com/view.cfm?ReleaseID=1926.

"While consumers are free to choose to read the New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle or any other newspaper regardless of where in the United States they live, broadcasters successfully orchestrated passage of special interest legislation which prohibits consumers from watching network channels originating in other markets, except in limited circumstances." the company said in a statement.

EchoStar and broadcasters disagreed about implementation of the distant network law. EchoStar said it believed the law should assure consumers had access to network programming. "We believe that we acted within the scope of the law and in the best interest of consumers," the company said.

Broadcasters felt the law should be interpreted to severely limit the ability of consumers to receive network channels other than those in their home market, even if the off-air picture quality was not good.

EchoStar also pointed out that it reached settlement agreements with hundreds of 800 ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX stations including all ABC, NBC and CBS owned and operated stations. The company did not reach settlement agreements with FOX Network or station groups owning the remaining stations.

That's just wrong! I'm not a distant networks subscriber, but If I lived in BFE, I'd want 'em!

It says, "except in limited circumstances," so does that mean that someone that is well out of range of any broadcast towers will be allowed to get a distant network, or at least one in the nearest DMA?

Total BS! If they want to punish E* then fine, but why punish thousands of subscribers who are legally receiving DNS? It's not like a subscriber can go to D* or cable and get any relief. God save us from idiotic lawyers and judges! :mad:

NightRyder

What a waste of Taxpayer money

All this expense to fight a rule that is being replaced by a new ruling in June or July!!! From my reading this Forum and listening to Charlie chat, I keep reading that new Distant Channel rulings will be effective this summer. How does this case change that??

odbrv said:
All this expense to fight a rule that is being replaced by a new ruling in June or July!!! From my reading this Forum and listening to Charlie chat, I keep reading that new Distant Channel rulings will be effective this summer. How does this case change that??

Not the same. The June or July rules clarification is in regards to retransmission of Digital DNS, this court case is about Analog DNS.

NightRyder

So I will be able to get distant HD channels and not the SD ones. Still reads as a waste of Taxpayer money. Give me the HD anytime.

odbrv said:
So I will be able to get distant HD channels and not the SD ones. Still reads as a waste of Taxpayer money. Give me the HD anytime.

Again, not the same. Because of restrictions the NAB managed to get into the last satellite bill, Digital DNS will only be allowed within the same time zone only! I live on the West coast and have had NY DNS (legally) since I've been with Dish. I would love to have NY HD-DNS but am not allowed to under the new rules.

NightRyder

Does this apply to getting the National CBS in Denver (O & O)? Or is it different because Dish has permission?

Having that LA feed really helps avoid the timer conflicts (and missing shows do to sports overruns).

Amen. The west coast feeds save me in the fall when football trashes the EPG start time accuracy. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to start watching more cable shows.

Since I can only watch two shows, A lot of shows I had been watching will now get 86'd. Bravo, NAB. You just cut your shows watched in my household by 30%.

What we should be doing is bombarding the FCC's website with complaint posts. ANYONE affected by this ruling should be firing off angry emails. If two dozen emails can get the decency police fired up, maybe a couple of hundred PO'd TV viewers can make a splash too....

Thanks

NightRyder said:
Again, not the same. Because of restrictions the NAB managed to get into the last satellite bill, Digital DNS will only be allowed within the same time zone only! I live on the West coast and have had NY DNS (legally) since I've been with Dish. I would love to have NY HD-DNS but am not allowed to under the new rules.

NightRyder
I thought the ruling was your time zone and any west of you. Whoever wrote this must hate the folks on the west coast. For me it says I can get Chicago, Dallas, Denver, LA. Since I already get the Lubbock locals, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

NightRyder said:
Digital DNS will only be allowed within the same time zone only!
NightRyder

Also in can be a later time zone as well. But for West Coasters it is basically the same time zone only. Unless they add hawaii or Alaska.

Voyagerbob

What frosts me is my buddy who lives in Ottawa, Canada gets Detroit and Seattle distants on his cable system. No waivers, no hassles. We here in the states
get rulings like this.

It's insanity.

voyagerbob said:
Also in can be a later time zone as well. But for West Coasters it is basically the same time zone only. Unless they add hawaii or Alaska.

Voyagerbob

They made an exception for Alaska and Hawaii so they could receive Pacific time zone stations.

NightRyder

pdxsam said:
What frosts me is my buddy who lives in Ottawa, Canada gets Detroit and Seattle distants on his cable system. No waivers, no hassles. We here in the states
get rulings like this.

It's insanity.

I came close to becoming a "Southern Canadian" because of this kind of crap. ;) I may have to reconsider if this doesn't get straightened out.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)