Court Orders Dish to Drop ALL Distant Networks

Judicature said:
OK, here is the scoop. I must credit a professor at the University of Tennessee - Knoxville - for pointing me to the right place for this data, and the most recent 12 month period for which data is available ended 3/2005. In private civil cases not involving prisoner petitions or the United States as a party, 11th Circuit panels reversed the lower district court in 13.1% of the appeals. The average reversal rate for all circuits across the U.S. is 11.9%; the highest reversal rate for that period is the 7th Circuit, which reversed 17.8%; the lowest reversal rate is the 2nd Circuit, which reversed 1.6% of the appeals from District Court.

All FWIW.

Source: http://www.uscourts.gov/caseload2005/tables/B05mar05.pdf

Thank you Judicature for your fast reply to a not so easy question.
I now have more hope that the 13.1% can be elevated.
I have been hoping that the days for the need of something like yesterdays Radio Free Europe would not be required here.

Is there some movement on this now?

There is no longer an option to hear about the distant networks court order when you call dish, and they have indefinately delayed the announced changing of Atlanta distants. Atlanta was to go to spot beam on the 31st of May and if you had Atlanta as a distant you would be getting another city. Can't determine if this is possible good news for now, or bad news comming soon.

I don't know if this has been answered yet or not. I haven't read all 27 pages. Here goes, will this affect my RV waver for distance networks?

JP Threw said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet or not. I haven't read all 27 pages. Here goes, will this affect my RV waver for distance networks?

Yes, unless something changes.

NightRyder

Has anyone noticed that the exclusion of Fox and probably Sincalir network tv stations, hah and they say there is a liberal media, Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch who owns news coprp who owns fox broadcasting fox news and is very pro republican- so much for laissez faire republican government when it turns tricks for those who support them.

They want to give illegal aliens amnesty & open the borders BUT if you want
to watch your hometown tv or see Canada w/o gray market - out comes
the metal nutcracker and not to be used on a Brazil nut!
So much for freedom.

I was wondering why my Atlanta distants were still there. They sent me a letter, left a voice mail, and showed on the guide that Atlanta was gone as of May31. The letter specified I would get NY distants in lieu of Atlanta. The guide info is now gone and the Atlanta stations are still there. I got Atlanta instead of NY in order to have some SEC football coverage in the fall. Maybe the mess on distants will keep Atlanta up through another season. For anyone who cares, ROLL TIDE! :D

Dish has frozen everything on the distant nets until the current state of affairs is resolved. This could take a couple of months or more. Dish is basically not going to change anything having to do with distant nets until they know where they stand.

See ya
Tony

Funny my dad got his cbs waiver approved this week and he never could before. My waiver for Cbs is still pending and I can never get that one approved. What you bet when the month is up I will have Cbs waiver approved too? I think Dish is approving them all and saying the Hell with the court. They must intend on appealing this decision just like the Tivo one.

TNGTony said:
Dish has frozen everything on the distant nets until the current state of affairs is resolved. This could take a couple of months or more. Dish is basically not going to change anything having to do with distant nets until they know where they stand.

See ya
Tony

Thank you for the update.

I got one approved and denied this week. The one I got approved hasn't been pending but a week or two.....doesn't look like everything is frozen to me...Dish wouldn't have this problem if their CSR's were English!!! Cause the non speaking ones seem like they will give you whatever you want. :eek:

I possibly missed it while scanning this thread, but can subscribers to CBSHD be affected by this DNS issue?

If this judge knew there was a internet, he'd surely close it down too.
What an idiot.

Birkoff

Ron Tobin said:
I possibly missed it while scanning this thread, but can subscribers to CBSHD be affected by this DNS issue?

No. The reason is that CBS and Dish Network have a contract that allows Dish to sell the CBS HD channel in areas where there are O&O affiliates and in areas where there is no other CBS affiliates available.

Every other network could do this tomorrow if they wished.

This ruling concerns distant networks that DO NOT wish to be sold outside their area. This is the point most people miss when complaining about the law. The law is a permissive law, not a restrictive law. Without the SHVA and its successors no one anywhere could get distant networks unless the networks themselves allowed it.

See ya
Tony

I don't understand this. Where I live the only local station is an ABC station. We have to get distant locals for NBC, CBS, and FOX. Today when I was building a person's account on the computer it said that this person didn't qualify for locals and it's the first I've seen in this area. If we aren't allowed to add distant locals in my area then we are going to lose a lot of business.