Court Rules Copying DVD now Illegal.

Lol, I think the problem is people watch too much CSI.. Their perception of what is actually technically possible by the police is radically skewed.

And one more thing, laws like this can not be applied retroactively. So even assuming it does stick, your existing rip collection is exempt. Any chance at prosecution would rely on being able to prove a rip was made after the ruling took effect.

King3 and Jersey Matt:

Properly secured the NAS shouldn't be visible outside of the LAN. That's neither here nor there.

This legislation appears to eradicate fair use copies which we were granted a long time ago.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately John, Fair Use is a provision in the copyright act but digital content is further protected by the DMCA which has no such provision. Analog video is still protected for Fair Use. Few people understand the limits of Fair Use since it is not a simple definition thanks to the courts wild interpretations over the years.

I have said ever since DMCA was signed into law, that it was very very bad and needs to be overturned since it goes against the fundamental rights of the people in a free market society. One copyright law for all copy rights is all we need. DMCA was a way to expand the original law into new areas and not affect provisions, like Fair Use. Today, DMCA treats digital content differently than analog content.

I am actually more surprised by people admitting to breaking encryption on DVD's and BRD's on this forum and not getting banned.

True, but the practice at Satelliteguys.us has been hack talk regarding satellite TV is a violation, while other discussion of illegal activity seems to get a pass. Regardless of the excuse, that's how I observe it.

Personally, I don't see the need to make copies since I very rarely watch a movie more than once. If I do, I just buy the movie. There was a time I recorded all those HBO movies and never watched them. Never had the time. Last year I tossed all them in the trash! But that's my personal opinion. I respect other people's desire to collect every movie and have them on their juke box home network. As long as they don't distribute the copies, IMO, no harm done. Maybe you guys should suggest me for the US Supreme Court.

Sorry Don but I don't consider this hacking or against the rules. I know I am wrong though since I openly admit that I rip my discs for use on my media streamers.

Everything I have ripped I own and still have the physical copy in my possession.

There needs to be some way to legally do this but I don't consider ultra violet a solution. I don't want to use my Internet bandwidth to watch a disc I already own on my media streamers. (In this case DISH Hoppers / Joeys.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am actually more surprised by people admitting to breaking encryption on DVD's and BRD's on this forum and not getting banned.

We aren't talking about stealing anything. We are talking about ripping movies we purchased to make them playable on other devices like smartphones, tablets, or streaming through our home network to the TV. I won't feel bad about doing that. It's a convenience factor for people who purchased movies legally. They should spend less time acting like their paying customers are criminals and spend more time worrying about the rampant internet piracy going on.

I'm no expert on the rules here but I thought we had fair use protection. Meaning we could rip purchased movies for our own personal use on other devices. Why is ripping a movie any different than ripping a CD for use on your iPod? They aren't going after people for doing that. From what I understand they found a loophole. They didn't say that ripping the movie was illegal they said breaking the encryption to do it was.

I own the disc, I have the disc and I'm simplifying playback. I don't want up front forced commercials or other extraneous content. I want to put the disc in and watch the movie I paid for.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Not to mention the fact,they have already said that selling your bought and paid for movie is illegal to sell.In that sense you don't own it,you are basically leasing it.I have a ton of used movies and cds I have bought over the yrs,guess that makes me a criminal.

While I certainly take a dim view of the DMCA and other shenanigans, I find it far easier to just load a disc than to take the time to rip hundreds of discs.

Watch a BD on a smartphone? I have enough trouble watching content on an iPad.

You might want to change the title. the Copyright Office is not a court.

The bottom line is that when you buy a DVD you are buying a license to view the content on that format and that format only. A type of blanket license exists but you pay more for the service(UltraViolet) just like in the software world when you want to install a program on multiple computers. I still blame the industry for fueling this problem because they still allow ads and marketing that imply you "own" the movie when you buy the disc. Just think of all the ads that say "Own it on Blu-ray & DVD today" :rolleyes:

Bob2011 said:
The bottom line is that when you buy a DVD you are buying a license to view the content on that format and that format only. A type of blanket license exists but you pay more for the service(UltraViolet) just like in the software world when you want to install a program on multiple computers. I still blame the industry for fueling this problem because they still allow ads and marketing that imply you "own" the movie when you buy the disc. Just think of all the ads that say "Own it on Blu-ray & DVD today" :rolleyes:

Where does it say that? What is the difference between ripping a CD for use on an iPod and ripping a DVD for use on an iPad? Are we also just buying a license to listen on CD players? I don't feel that this is the case or common free software from major companies like Apple and Microsoft wouldn't include CD ripping software on all their computers.

You might want to change the title. the Copyright Office is not a court.

...which makes it particularly offensive that they're allowed to dictate law.

(And before anyone asks, this goes for anyone... FCC, Federal Reserve Board, whatever...)

Again, from what I have read today they did not say ripping movies for your own private use was illegal. They said breaking the encryption, which is required to rip the movies, is illegal. They found a loophole.

eurosport said:
I'll just say this... I bought it. I own it. It's mine to do what whatever I want with it. Period.

Good luck with that argument when the IP police are at your door

It very well could be. Now they are expecting you to buy the Blu-ray and then buy it again from iTunes if you want to watch it with your iPad on a plane. No thanks. I sure won't be buying the same movie twice.

A lot of them have a digital copy, and Wal Mart will rip your DVDs to Ultraviolet for a fee. So there is at least that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)