Court Rules Copying DVD now Illegal.

I think you are being a little paranoid. They aren't going to be scanning people's personal computers to see what is stored on them without reason. First, that has to be illegal. Second, this isn't a country like China that will stand for government internet censorship. The American people wouldn't stand by and allow the government to access its citizens personal computer files whenever they want. They would have to have cause to do something like that.

Sure they will. Just look at the number of people that respond to stories about government intrusion with idiotic comments like "Let them look in my house/car/computer/etc I don't have anything to hide." or "Only criminals need to be worried." Governments don't get this kind of power by grabbing it, they get it because people willingly GIVE it to them.

Not to mention the fact,they have already said that selling your bought and paid for movie is illegal to sell.In that sense you don't own it,you are basically leasing it.I have a ton of used movies and cds I have bought over the yrs,guess that makes me a criminal.

That's not the case at all. In fact, that exact issue is currently under review by the Supreme Court.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/parade-horribles-supreme-court-first-sale-kirtsaeng-v-wiley

While I certainly take a dim view of the DMCA and other shenanigans, I find it far easier to just load a disc than to take the time to rip hundreds of discs.

To each their own. I despise the up fronts that are forced on me that it's worth the time. My actual time to rip a disc and catalog is about 5 minutes. The rip takes longer (about 30-45 minutes) but I'm not in front of the computer watching it run.

Watch a BD on a smartphone? I have enough trouble watching content on an iPad.

It work well on a MAC on a 24" monitor.

I use the forbidden *.iso rendering ( Sony Vegas Pro) to catalog my own video productions on a hard disk. This can be played using an Oppo BD-93. But last January, Jason at OPPO advised me of the extortion tactic the MPA hit his company with which forces him to send out a firmware update removing that feature from the BD Player. I simply pulled the player from the internet to prevent that update and continue, today, to use the player for cataloged and rendered my home video titles, the player I bought. I have a bunch and it is so much easier to switch to the catalog on my screen and select the title and view. I agree with John that the playback of video by a network, whether it be my own productions or your purchased DVD's is a better way than keeping hundreds of titles in boxes on the shelf. e.g. I can store about 125 one hour HD productions on one 3.5" hard drive. Do I need to even mention the cost saving?
As far as playback on an ipad, that is just a matter of matching the frame size and format that ipad recognizes, but then the playback is as easy as touching the thumbnail in the video ap. If that is too difficult, maybe an ipad is too technical for the user's ability. :D

What is slysoft? Would this help me or is this just some cloud service or another rip program? There are lots of these? I need to do some research on this I suppose.

I think this whole issue is this. The DMCA is alien to the general philosophy of when you buy a DVD you own it. The general population does not understand it and does not feel it is a free market concept they have known for their entire life. If the DMCA is allowed to stand the next step is the industry will try to license your DVD's purchase in a pay per view. As we become programmed ( brainwashed) that the new normal is all DVD players need to be connected to the internet, it is only a simple matter to start selling a DVD that requires this connectivity and a charge to a credit card every time you view it. This concept has been floated for years and the idea is not dead.
This thread is proof that there is not one person here who has defended the DMCA as a fare business practice. It is out of touch with our way of life. However, absent a voice in congress, it will continue and grow in it's control over our freedom. The DMCA is not government of the people, for the people. It is government bowing to those who have the money to buy legislation.

I think this whole issue is this. The DMCA is alien to the general philosophy of when you buy a DVD you own it. The general population does not understand it and does not feel it is a free market concept they have known for their entire life. If the DMCA is allowed to stand the next step is the industry will try to license your DVD's purchase in a pay per view. As we become programmed ( brainwashed) that the new normal is all DVD players need to be connected to the internet, it is only a simple matter to start selling a DVD that requires this connectivity and a charge to a credit card every time you view it. This concept has been floated for years and the idea is not dead.
This thread is proof that there is not one person here who has defended the DMCA as a fare business practice. It is out of touch with our way of life. However, absent a voice in congress, it will continue and grow in it's control over our freedom. The DMCA is not government of the people, for the people. It is government bowing to those who have the money to buy legislation.

What you are describing in this last part is the original DIVX concept, with the discs that required PPV authorization. That one failed miserably in the marketplace. I guess I see instead a model where physical media goes away and everything is PPV over the network (itunes model)

I remember lots of schemes by content producers to enforce a PPV model. My favorite was the VHS cartridge that had the razor blade to slice the tape as it was playing.

A lot of them have a digital copy, and Wal Mart will rip your DVDs to Ultraviolet for a fee. So there is at least that.
But everytime you want to watch Ultraviolet it needs to download it from the internet. I dont want that. I wants a perfect copy of the movie on my hard drive that I can watch whenever I want.

But everytime you want to watch Ultraviolet it needs to download it from the internet. I dont want that. I wants a perfect copy of the movie on my hard drive that I can watch whenever I want.

One that hasn't had the bitrate compromised due to heavy load. One that hasn't had permission rescinded "because they can". One that hasn't been recut because "Hans shot first" and the original Spiderman DID hang from the WTC towers.

Basically, I don't trust the studios to operate in my best interests and provide me with what I paid for.

What is slysoft? Would this help me or is this just some cloud service or another rip program? There are lots of these? I need to do some research on this I suppose.

Slysoft has software - anydvd - that takes the copy protection off of blurays. You can rip to an ISO or a directory. When I get a BD, I rip it and then put it on the shelf. I use a network media player to watch the bluray (popcornhour).

...which makes it particularly offensive that they're allowed to dictate law.

(And before anyone asks, this goes for anyone... FCC, Federal Reserve Board, whatever...)

That really has nothing to do with the point of my post. The thread title is inaccurate and misleading.

Slysoft has software - anydvd - that takes the copy protection off of blurays. You can rip to an ISO or a directory. When I get a BD, I rip it and then put it on the shelf. I use a network media player to watch the bluray (popcornhour).

Thanks for the memory refresh, I did look into anydvd some time back. Do you know if anydvd can take a hard drive BD folder structure for a 3D with menus ( created in Power Director ) and compress it to an iso file? I have DVDFab and it works sometimes. Not consistent.

BTW- I also have Popcorn hour and HiMedia 900b boxes but these do not handle the 3D BD with menus. For my use the POPCORNHOUR was a waste of money but the HiMedia900b I now use in the edit suite to test renderings of my 3D productions so I don't have to burn a BD-RE.

Yep I use imgburn as well.Also have used totally free burner and it works fine too.

I have said ever since DMCA was signed into law, that it was very very bad and needs to be overturned since it goes against the fundamental rights of the people in a free market society.
What of the rights of those who actually own the rights? "Free market" doesn't mean everything is free or should be available for the cost of duplication and shipping.

And one more thing, laws like this can not be applied retroactively. So even assuming it does stick, your existing rip collection is exempt. Any chance at prosecution would rely on being able to prove a rip was made after the ruling took effect.
Signing a bill into law makes it a law. It doesn't have to be ruled on before it takes effect.

As the ruling didn't change the law, it has no bearing on the timetable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts