Cox and the Cable Card A Journey in Frustration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Well after 15 years with Dish, Cox finally made an offer worth me considering, mainly because I have a Tivo with Mini's.

I went and picked up a motorola cable card and tuning adapter yesterday, came home setup it all up and got nothing, stuck on loading 89%. I waited an hour and then called the Cox cable card number, they see card and tuning adapter not paired. As soon as they pair it, the Tivo proceeds to run thru setup and load channel guide etc.. They say it all good and give it half an hour to finish loading everything. When it finally finishes I go to watch and nothing but V58 errors programming not authorized. Call Cox back and they say everything looks good, they will have to send Tech out next day. Tech arrives at 3:15 starts checking things, says signal is low, fixes that, has them send hit to card etc. Still nothing works, he finally changed the card out and paired it to tuning adapter, still nothing back to calling the main center and conferencing in with Tivo.

After 3.5 hrs of this, he has them remove everything from my account and rebuild it. Boom channels come on. Click around the guide and everything seems to be working, so call it a day. I go back to start deleting channels not in my package and set some timers, when I realize only 2 tuners are working. Look at cable card menu I see the card and tuning adapter are not paired either. So another call to Cox, they pair the card and tuning adapter and say give it half an hour as they sent update to tuning adapter that will bring other tuners online.

Well now its 1.5hrs later. Ive rebooted Tivo and tuning adapter and still only 2 tuners. I've about lost all patience tonight. Sitting here debating whether to call them back, give it till tomorrow or just ripping the card and adapter out and reconnecting my antenna. :mad:

In this day and age, it shouldn't be this damn hard to get cable tv with a 3rd party box. Maybe if I give Cox another 15years, they will figure it out. :oldno

Another 2 hrs. New cable card and new tuning adapter and still only 2 tuners working. They were supposed to send a supervisor with experience using tivos and this guy has done 1 and is now using Google and calling around to other techs.

About to throw him out with the card and adapter. Tired off everyone saying to call tivo when they had tivo conferences in yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dang sorry it isnt working for you

I guess I was lucky with Comcast as I dont need a tuning adapter (just a cable card) and when I went from the Series 3 to the Roamio it worked fine

I'm wondering if the cable tuner is bad. I'm heading to my lake cabin to get the Roamio Basic from there and try it before calling Tivo about a replacement. If that doesn't work, by the weekend Ill be back to OTA only with it and drop to the welcome pack with Dish until football starts.

good point
But it seems odd only 2 tuners work. Did all 4 tuners work when it was OTA?
Yes. Swapped it back to OTA before I left I house and everything worked like it should. I also just happen to tune a Cox radio station while on cable and it tuned in so 3 tuners were working. 2 with video and 1 with audio. I am 98% sure cox doesn't have something provisioned correctly on my account.

I'll find out in an hour or so. At lake now swapping roamios.

Card needs a newer firmware to support more than 2 tuners. If card isn't taking the update or is not an M card (multi-stream), you should exchange for another.

and a bad cable tuner it is.
Swapped to the other Roamio Basic redid setup for cable and all 4 tuners working.

Now decision whether to deal with tivo on replacement of the other one or leave it alone as it works fine on OTA and will probably never have cable on it. Crazy as that box was brand new from tivo and the other 3 I have were all refurbs.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Card needs a newer firmware to support more than 2 tuners. If card isn't taking the update or is not an M card (multi-stream), you should exchange for another.
it should automatically do an update when its detected. My Cisco Cable Card did that when I inserted it

Well my 2 yrs was up next month. After the initial cable card frustrations, my service has been rock solid with the TiVo’s. Been paying $130 a month including all fees for the last year for 200 channel advanced basic and 150/10 internet.

I got a card in the mail, saying my 2yrs was up and call in if I wanted to renew the agreement for another 2. I went into the local cox store, it’s just 2 miles down the street. They looked my account up and at all their offers. I kept my advanced basic tv with cable card, and changed internet from their old 150/10 plan to 100/10 plan for $117 a month including all fees for another 2yrs.

So they’ve kept a 12 yr internet and 2 yr tv customer happy with little work on my part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)