Cox Media Group Removes Local Channels From DISH

All my locals disappeared today. Even the local PBS station. So, is it true that ALL locals are gone, regardless of who owns them?
That sounds like a different problem, DISH has not taken down a complete market. It may be as simple as your receiver needing a hit to get them back. :)

That sounds like a different problem, DISH has not taken down a complete market. It may be as simple as your receiver needing a hit to get them back. :)
You were right. I called Dish -- my locals are all gone because they are phasing out the MPEG2 transmission. They are gone until I upgrade my hardware three weeks from today, Jan 4th.

Apollo’s Cox Media Continues Unreasonable Retransmission Demands as It Pushes for FCC Approval of TEGNA Transaction

WASHINGTON, DC – The American Television Alliance (ATVA) issued a statement responding to Apollo Global Management-owned Cox Media Group’s blackouts and threats of blackouts this holiday season. The broadcaster has already pulled its local television stations from DISH customers this holiday season. And its unreasonable demands nearly led to a blackout of local broadcast stations for Verizon customers across major media markets. This all comes amid a push by Apollo’s Cox Media for the FCC to approve its highly complicated and unusual investment in the purchase of TEGNA’s television stations by another Wall Street giant, Standard General.

“The unreasonable demands by broadcasters like Apollo’s Cox Media could not come at a worse time for families who rely on their local stations for news during the holiday season and gather together to watch holiday programming and their favorite NFL teams ahead of playoffs,” said ATVA spokesperson Jessica Kendust. “Instead of being on its best behavior as Apollo’s Cox Media pushes for FCC approval of its investment, Apollo’s Cox Media has proven it is willing to disenfranchise viewers who have done nothing wrong while the FCC is watching closely. This suggests that worse could be yet to come when the spotlight is removed.”

“There is a bigger problem here,” added Kendust. “The ATVA has warned that this deal poses a more significant threat to consumers because the pending transaction will ‘intertwine’ Apollo’s Cox Media, Standard General, and TEGNA in a way that permits the parties to collude—resulting in higher prices all around. DISH, an ATVA member, says that Apollo’s Cox Media has already attempted to negotiate for TEGNA’s stations.”

“We understand that Standard General has offered conditions to the FCC designed to address some of the harms we identified. But the reality is that the proposed investment increases the parties’ incentive and ability to collude in ways unaddressed by Standard General’s offer. The FCC should look closely at the transaction and do whatever it takes to prevent big broadcast from colluding.”

###

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo’s Cox Media Continues Unreasonable Retransmission Demands as It Pushes for FCC Approval of TEGNA Transaction

WASHINGTON, DC – The American Television Alliance (ATVA) issued a statement responding to Apollo Global Management-owned Cox Media Group’s blackouts and threats of blackouts this holiday season. The broadcaster has already pulled its local television stations from DISH customers this holiday season. And its unreasonable demands nearly led to a blackout of local broadcast stations for Verizon customers across major media markets. This all comes amid a push by Apollo’s Cox Media for the FCC to approve its highly complicated and unusual investment in the purchase of TEGNA’s television stations by another Wall Street giant, Standard General.

“The unreasonable demands by broadcasters like Apollo’s Cox Media could not come at a worse time for families who rely on their local stations for news during the holiday season and gather together to watch holiday programming and their favorite NFL teams ahead of playoffs,” said ATVA spokesperson Jessica Kendust. “Instead of being on its best behavior as Apollo’s Cox Media pushes for FCC approval of its investment, Apollo’s Cox Media has proven it is willing to disenfranchise viewers who have done nothing wrong while the FCC is watching closely. This suggests that worse could be yet to come when the spotlight is removed.”

“There is a bigger problem here,” added Kendust. “The ATVA has warned that this deal poses a more significant threat to consumers because the pending transaction will ‘intertwine’ Apollo’s Cox Media, Standard General, and TEGNA in a way that permits the parties to collude—resulting in higher prices all around. DISH, an ATVA member, says that Apollo’s Cox Media has already attempted to negotiate for TEGNA’s stations.”

“We understand that Standard General has offered conditions to the FCC designed to address some of the harms we identified. But the reality is that the proposed investment increases the parties’ incentive and ability to collude in ways unaddressed by Standard General’s offer. The FCC should look closely at the transaction and do whatever it takes to prevent big broadcast from colluding.”

###

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a press release masquerading as a news story.

So here's the other side...

DISH chooses to black out all Cox Media Group TV stations across the country​

JACKSONVILLE - Today DISH unilaterally chose to black out all Cox Media Group (CMG) TV stations across the country, including WFOX-TV/FOX30, after deploying its well-worn anti-consumer drop tactic. With this move, DISH has once again punished its own customers and WFOX-TV/FOX30′s consumers by depriving them of access to critical local news, emergency weather and traffic information, popular sports and other local and national network programming.

“DISH is infamously unreasonable and difficult to deal with in retransmission consent and all other content negotiations. In their latest example, DISH has refused to make any meaningful offer to continue carriage of CMG’s award-winning local news, investigative journalism, popular sports and entertainment content. This has undercut both local broadcasting and its own customers,” said Paul Curran, EVP of Television, Cox Media Group. “Let me be clear – despite their numerous false claims, it was solely DISH’s decision to remove CMG’s best-in-class TV stations from its service. To keep our stations on the DISH platform, we offered DISH an extension of our current agreement with no strings attached, but DISH refused. We’re simply asking DISH to agree to a fair-market deal that is consistent to what their competitors have agreed without any interruption of service to consumers.”

CMG has repeatedly asked DISH to continue carrying the stations while CMG negotiates in good faith toward a fair-market deal. DISH has refused to negotiate in good faith and declined to keep the stations on air while working towards a deal. DISH has now delivered on its obvious goal from the outset to black out CMG’s stations from its lineup.

DISH has a long history of harming its customers by using blackouts against local broadcasters and other content providers. DISH is responsible for the highest blackout rates among distributors of local broadcast stations and other content. DISH’s latest drop comes just two years after it blacked out CMG stations for eight months, as well as numerous other content drops by DISH since then.

“Despite DISH’s many false claims, we remain willing to negotiate in good faith,” Curran said. “We once again call on DISH to stop its tired anti-consumer approach and get serious about reaching a fair agreement for CMG TV stations. It’s time for DISH to restore our critical news, information, sports and entertainment programming to the viewers in the communities we serve who subscribe to DISH for CMG’s valuable content.”

DISH customers who are disappointed and frustrated by DISH’s latest stunt to deprive them of vital programming should switch TV providers now. All CMG stations are available on all other major TV providers. They should also contact DISH to make their voices heard by calling DISH at 1-800-333-3474 and urging them to restore the stations now and engage with CMG in good faith for ongoing carriage of CMG’s vital programming.

Nothing but spin from either side. Surprising.:cool:

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sam since you work (or did) for the TV stations no surprise to see your post. :)

You do know that DISH could not carry the stations if they wanted to since no waver was given to allow them to continue to broadcast after the deadline passed right? If they did they would be in violation of Federal Copyright laws.

I do think TV station own groups like this are phasing themselves out of business. soon we will all be watching directly from straming from the networks. The over the air licenses won't be worth the paper they are printed on.

Sam since you work (or did) for the TV stations no surprise to see your post. :)

You do know that DISH could not carry the stations if they wanted to since no waver was given to allow them to continue to broadcast after the deadline passed right? If they did they would be in violation of Federal Copyright laws.

I do think TV station own groups like this are phasing themselves out of business. soon we will all be watching directly from straming from the networks. The over the air licenses won't be worth the paper they are printed on.
Notice I didn't say anything about who is right or what should happen. But as much as you shill for Dish by spreading their propaganda, I hope they pay you. ;) And that's all that press release is... propaganda. Just like the article I posted, it's propaganda, just put out by the other side.

I will readily admit BOTH sides will spin the "facts" to make themselves look better. Will you?

Now, one part of your statement is incorrect. *IF* Dish wanted to continue carrying the stations, they could have... all they needed to do was agree to the terms. By the same token, if Cox REALLY wanted to keep their channels on, they could agree to Dish's terms.

I agree the customer is caught in the middle.

I do think stations SHOULD get paid a fee by MVPDs for using their signal. MVPDs are making money by carrying the channels (whether they be local broadcasters or a 'cable' network). "But they provide more viewers". Some. MOST viewers live within OTA range of broadcasters. 'Cable' channels however RELY on MVPDs (taking streaming out of the mix).

Now, as far as what I think should happen... someone (arbitrator, government, someone) determines a nation wide rate that's based on the average rating for a station. So ratings go up, the price an MVPD pays a broadcaster goes up. Ratings go down, the price goes down. Yes, there's a lot of details that would need to be worked out. But it's more realistic than saying "they shouldn't charge anything!" or "the station can charge as much as it wants!" (which has never been my stance).

I think local stations will still be around for decades to come. I don't think there will be as many of them and I don't think they'll be carrying the "big 4" networks. I think they'll be showing a lot more syndication and a lot more local news/weather/programming.

ETA: I no longer work for a station. ;)

Reactions: BnT.atl
But as much as you shill for Dish by spreading their propaganda, I hope they pay you. ;) And that's all that press release is... propaganda. Just like the article I posted, it's propaganda, just put out by the other side.

This is non productive. In fact, counter productive. No value in name calling.

Really? What is he supposed to do? Ignore Dish press releases? I find them informative. If you think they're just propaganda with no news value, then don't read them.
No, but how about actually acknowledging that they are press releases? Don't just post them so an uninformed reader might think they're from a legitimate news organization. A simple "From Dish... " would clarify.

No, but how about actually acknowledging that they are press releases? Don't just post them so an uninformed reader might think they're from a legitimate news organization. A simple "From Dish... " would clarify.
What part of "WASHINGTON, DC – The American Television Alliance (ATVA) issued a statement..." did you find confusing?

I guess you're not familiar with how news stories are written. That's ok.
"News story"? It's a statement released by the ATVA. Nothing more...