Cracked LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
Trying to fix this for a friend. Any recommendations or should they get a new LNB?

Attachments

• photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 303
  • photo 2 (4).JPG
    photo 2 (4).JPG
    582.3 KB · Views: 260
Trying to fix this for a friend. Any recommendations or should they get a new LNB?
I had one sort of like this. Custy had no signal because the cup had water about half way up. I drilled a small hole to let the water drain. Then used silicone to seal the drilled hole and the offending crack in the top of the cup. Signal returned perfectly.

I had one sort of like this. Custy had no signal because the cup had water about half way up. I drilled a small hole to let the water drain. Then used silicone to seal the drilled hole and the offending crack in the top of the cup. Signal returned perfectly.
Why not leave the bottom hole open?

What new water ? If you repair/seal the cracks properly, you don't have to worry about more water getting in. :p
What about insect life? Not as bad as the old "C"band days when you could uncover the LNB and find a beautiful wasp nest with angry residents.

Another possibility is several coats of clear Fkexseal. My wife broke a bowel from a fountain in half. After I used contact cement to put the 2 halves back together, I used Flexseal to seal the crack. Just like the TV ad, it works.

Nah, this was small bowel from a cascade fountain. About 4 in inches in diameter. She was weeding and accidentally knocked it off the stand. And of course, a replacement was no longer available.

Just put a bag over it. Clear or black. It won't affect the signal. Our local Spanish-speaking friends have been doing it for years. Only foil will block the signal coming in. Or your hand (water content in your hand). I used to experiment with cardboard, paper, plastic, etc, and the signal will still pass through all those mediums with no affect to programming inside. Or as others have posted, use some silicone. If there is no water in there now, the crack will have no affect on the signal coming in to the lnb.

If it's not cracked on the bottom you could try popping it off and flipping it around so the cracks are on the bottom and not the top and then silicone them up. Of course, it may fall to pieces if you try that, they don't usually come off easy, but being cracked already, that one might.

The bag idea that Jarvantgroup suggested works, I did that for one that had no cover for a few months until I was able to get one, wrapped the bag around it tight and taped it.

Starscan, I noticed in your signature that you have a 12' Conifer dish, how do you like that dish? I picked one up a few months ago myself, going to set it up next summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)