Credit Card stolen, updating Auto Pay and it won't take Amex anymore

PortlandChris

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Portland, OR
American Express account was stolen and went into update auto pay to a new account number and there is no longer an option to add an American Express account. Instead it forces to you add Visa, Mastercard or various debit options. Been paying with American Express for YEARS. And did so always because the rewards on the American Express were so much greater than using another method. I know vendors pay for these rewards.

Just another bummer on some clown stealing my account number and making a duplicate card. Would love to get my hands on this person.

When did this change and Dish removed American Express as a payment option?

I had this issue a month or so ago. I believe if you just put your card number in the field it will then give you the option to select American Express. Mine was a Discover card that wasn't in the initial drop down and this method worked.

Reactions: sdfntx
I had to do this recently as well. Just put your Amex info in there and submit it. If you check back it WILL say "American Express" in the drop down. Somehow it is a hidden option, but it WILL work.

Reactions: sdfntx
I know on the main forum they did say to select visa(may have just been a standard go to), and it should take.

I used to pay mine with discover card, but when the card expired Discover wasn't an option when I tried to update the information.

Amex has a much higher merchant fee than the others.
Then don't take them. How many people will try and input their AMEX card details when there's no AMEX logo shown or listed in a menu? Anyone who has an AMEX card knows that lots of places don't take them so if they don't see the logo, they certainly presume they can't use it.

Why promote something that you don't really want to do?
Why do something you don't really want to do? If you do it, do it properly. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Simple.

That's how I see it. You get the advantage of being able to use it if you really want to, but kinda steered towards another method if feasible. Everyone wins.
No. People who don't see Amex or Discover listed in the drop-down, and then don't use their preferred card, do not *win*. See below.

I used to pay mine with discover card, but when the card expired Discover wasn't an option when I tried to update the information.
And now, you won't get the cash back, or whatever other reason you had for using that card, even though they actually accept it, because they tricked you into not using it.

This isn't a DISH thing, there are MANY businesses around me that do not advertise that they take American Express. On the door are only the Visa/MC and sometimes Discovery stickers and often nothing at the register that would suggest they take AX. But often if you ask they will take American Express. Obviously they would rather not take it, but to accommodate their customers they will if asked. So some want these businesses to not try to accommodate the customer even though it costs the business more and just say no? There's hundreds of things businesses don't advertise that they will do for the customer, but would rather not make it so obvious because it cost money. Gift wrapping is one of them. There are stores you would never think of that do have free gift wrapping if you ask. Some will prepare for shipment for you for free. (not the actual shipping/cost)

The point is they can afford to do these things as long as it isn't often, so again in an attempt to accommodate the customer they try to provide these services on an individual basis.

You didn't know ? You're supposed to just randomly input your Discover card details and cross your fingers that it will work !

I did a chat earlier about this....

Rodelito (ID: YDG): Hi, my name is Rodelito (ID: YDG). How may I help you?
Hall: Do you accept American Express for bill payments ?
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Thank you for asking that.
(20-30 second delay)
Rodelito (ID: YDG): I am happy to answer that for you.
Rodelito (ID: YDG): For security purposes, would you please verify the 4 digit Security Code on the account?
Hall: This is just a general question
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Alright.
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Please give me a minute to verify that for you.
(2 minute delay)
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Yes Hall American Express can be use for bill payments.
Hall: It doesn't appear in the dropdown list of cards though
Rodelito (ID: YDG): I see.
(2 minute delay)
Rodelito (ID: YDG): You can choose any of the card type just enter your number and your AE will be recognized.
Hall: Okay, thanks. I would have NEVER tried that !
Rodelito (ID: YDG): You're welcome.
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Hall: That is all. Thanks
Rodelito (ID: YDG): You're welcome.
Rodelito (ID: YDG): For future reference, you can view and pay your bill, order Pay-Per-View's and make programming changes with your online account at http://www.mydish.com.
Rodelito (ID: YDG): Thank you for using DISH Chat and allowing me to help. Have a great rest of your day!
Rodelito (ID: YDG) has disconnected.
The rep obviously had to research or ask for answers. Is their job one that they normally don't deal with questions like this ? Maybe so....

I don't think all this arguing about is gonna get anything changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)