Credit Card to Upgrade??

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
Do you need a credit card to upgrade equipment?? Can you use a prepaid one?? I would like to upgrade to 722. Or is it better buying the 722??

Thank you,
Chris

Do you need a credit card to upgrade equipment?? Can you use a prepaid one?? I would like to upgrade to 722. Or is it better buying the 722??

Thank you,
Chris

For any promo w/ leased equipment they require a debit/credit card qualification so that if the equipment is not returned they can charge that acct for the value of the equipment. I think any pre-paid card would be declined for that purpose. The initial upgrade fee can sometimes be charged to your monthly statement if you're a long-time customer or have autopay. You can also pre-pay your acct w/ another form of payment before calling in.

I don't think purchasing equipment is worth it since re-sale value is limited compared to what it used to be. Replacing leased equipment is often free or just the cost of dhpp for a couple of weeks.

Pretty much the only advantage to purchasing a receiver is the ability to de-activate and re-activate as need be. I had a divorced customer once who had custody of their child during the summer, and so they wanted to be able to de-activate that receiver during the school year and have it turned back on in the summer (avoiding 9 months of $5 additional receiver fees per year). If it's a receiver you plan to use regularly, leasing is almost always the way to go.

Plus Dish only allows (so I was told) 4 leased receivers to a account and counts dual tuner boxes as 2. I had 2 612's and 1 662 and was told I could add anything leased to my account so for that reason bought a 722k.