criminal minds

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
Don't know what happened with PTAT while recording Criminal Minds but it seems to have lost the ability to skip commercials. There was no kangaroo nor did it askif i wanted to skip commercials.The bigger problem though was it only recorded about five minutes of the program before it said program over.

This is the first time this has occured and as far as I know though I haven't gone through anymore shows yet to be the only instance of this problem.

Any others wth this problem.Worse yet it was the season finale. I had to b uy it through AMazon On Demand and watch it with my Roku.

Last edited:
I have another show where it only recorded 10 minutes of the program. I also have a few shows where the auto hop kanagroo isn't shown and therefor doesn't have the feature. I have the latest software update.

It was this week. Might point was it only recored 10 minutes of the show. This also happened with SVU.

The other thing those two shows and a few others are missing the auto hopper feature.

what's wrong?

Okay, with the sat. channels it sounds like you're having some kind of signal drop that is stopping your recordings or your hopper experiences a problem during recording (freezes, purple screen, etc) and reboots. That is the only suggestion that I can give because I live in an area where PTAT isn't available.

Regarding your issue with CBS it sounds like a problem more or less with your internet connection. I watch shows off of CBS all the time through my PlayOn Media server on my Hoppers/Joeys and while they are not HD quality they are better then the standard of my local channels, and all american direct channels. CBS.com is also free, but doesn't offer every show that it airs. Like no Persons of Interest but they have NCIS, H-50, NCIS:LA, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds) You need at least a 6.0mb/s speed in my opinion or you will experience problems with framerates(I used to have DSL 6.0mb/s line and NetFlix would freeze up during playback most of the time) and a computer which has decent ram and a good processor speed. Also if you are using WiFi over a wired ethernet cable then that would also cause issues with internet video because of the signal doesn't always stay strong and it causes internet speed fluctuations. Cordless phones that operate at the 2.4ghz have been known to cause issues with wireless internet.

Okay, with the sat. channels it sounds like you're having some kind of signal drop that is stopping your recordings or your hopper experiences a problem during recording (freezes, purple screen, etc) and reboots. That is the only suggestion that I can give because I live in an area where PTAT isn't available.

Regarding your issue with CBS it sounds like a problem more or less with your internet connection. I watch shows off of CBS all the time through my PlayOn Media server on my Hoppers/Joeys and while they are not HD quality they are better then the standard of my local channels, and all american direct channels. CBS.com is also free, but doesn't offer every show that it airs. Like no Persons of Interest but they have NCIS, H-50, NCIS:LA, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds) You need at least a 6.0mb/s speed in my opinion or you will experience problems with framerates(I used to have DSL 6.0mb/s line and NetFlix would freeze up during playback most of the time) and a computer which has decent ram and a good processor speed. Also if you are using WiFi over a wired ethernet cable then that would also cause issues with internet video because of the signal doesn't always stay strong and it causes internet speed fluctuations. Cordless phones that operate at the 2.4ghz have been known to cause issues with wireless internet.

Sorry butcwrong on all accounts. No signal loss. Occured only on certain shows.

On cbs site it says to watch use vudu, apple store or amazon. No where wa it free. If cbs has a free are then i just missed finding it. What i saw looked like a preview mode.

Btw my my downloa speed is 25 and i'm running a core i7 with 6 megs of ram so i know ot isn'ty pc. I have run three hd streams concurrently and i dodn' t miss a beat.

Thanks. Perjaps you can tell me where it is free on cbs site. I just watched through my my Roku on Amazon channel.

I'm thinking autohop didn't work because you didn't have the full program?

As for that issue. Did all of the shows recording on PTAT stop at the same time? You said you got 10 minutes of Criminal Minds. I think it comes on Wednesdays at 9? Check your the other three shows that recorded at that time on PTAT and see if they ended 10 minutes in also?

If so you might have a similar problem to us here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...nts-run-check-switches-all-6.html#post2866635

After the Hopper checks for updates at 1am EVERY NIGHT it goes into standby mode. The first time (and only the very first time) you take the Hopper out of standby mode it runs a check switch. Have you noticed it doing that any? If you didn't have your Hopper on at all since the update check the night before and turned it on for the first time 10 minutes into Criminal Minds it would have interupted all four PTAT recordings (along with anything else recording) and caused you to miss the rest of the shows. This may not be your problem at all but it's been affecting a lot of us on Eastern Arc. The best solution is just to start the box every morning when you get up. That way it doesn't interupt any recordings in the evening or during the day.

fishman23 said:
I'm thinking autohop didn't work because you didn't have the full program?

As for that issue. Did all of the shows recording on PTAT stop at the same time? You said you got 10 minutes of Criminal Minds. I think it comes on Wednesdays at 9? Check your the other three shows that recorded at that time on PTAT and see if they ended 10 minutes in also?

If so you might have a similar problem to us here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/280201-hopper-wants-run-check-switches-all-6.html#post2866635

After the Hopper checks for updates at 1am EVERY NIGHT it goes into standby mode. The first time (and only the very first time) you take the Hopper out of standby mode it runs a check switch. Have you noticed it doing that any? If you didn't have your Hopper on at all since the update check the night before and turned it on for the first time 10 minutes into Criminal Minds it would have interupted all four PTAT recordings (along with anything else recording) and caused you to miss the rest of the shows. This may not be your problem at all but it's been affecting a lot of us on Eastern Arc. The best solution is just to start the box every morning when you get up. That way it doesn't interupt any recordings in the evening or during the day.

Your reasoning for losing part of the program sounds logical. I will check to see of all the shows were on at the same time.

As for the check switch procedure. I put the news on every morning so that should eliminate that reason.

I am going to read your post and see what your problem was.

Thanks for the input.

Oh on Blue Blood it recorded the entire show but never got the auto hop feature.

Criminal Minds and Svu or on the same date and time. Hawaii Five O isn't. So there is a partial pattern. I want to see if any shows that are opposite to Five O have the same problem.

I have discovered that there was a show on the same time as Five O and it was split in half. I don't know how or why but something did interrupt my recording on two different days. Now I would like to know what ot was so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks

You can watch it on the CBS website for free here.

That doesn't explain why it wasn't recorded properly now does it?

I didn't say it did. I only included as a quote part the of your post focusing on your complaint that you had to buy it from Amazon On Demand. I simply pointed out that you didn't have to buy it because you could watch it for free from the CBS website.

dontpanic said:
I didn't say it did. I only included as a quote part the of your post focusing on your complaint that you had to buy it from Amazon On Demand. I simply pointed out that you didn't have to buy it because you could watch it for free from the CBS website.

I did try to view it there and as explained it didn't play properly even with a fast pc and connection.

You can watch it on the CBS website for free here.

It's also not free. By from Amazon, Vudu, or Apple I tunes. You can heaf the audio on cbs's site but the video doesn't flow. More like dropped frames.

It very definitely is free on the CBS website, and I gave you a link directly to the show's video page. Here is the link again. I'm watching it right now and the video does flow as expected. The only problem is that the quality isn't quite HD. When I move the cursor over the picture the network icon has 2 of 4 bars (my internet connection is 15mb down). As ohioankev mentioned, the video problem is probably due to a problem with your internet connection.

Discovered problem. Its IE 9 causing the problem. If I watch from Firefox it works ok. I uninstalled/reinstalled flash and the problem persists. Netflix plays fine with IE 9.

Any suggestions to what is wrong with IE 9? I'm running 64 bit home edition of Vista.

Discovered problem. Its IE 9 causing the problem. If I watch from Firefox it works ok. I uninstalled/reinstalled flash and the problem persists. Netflix plays fine with IE 9.

Any suggestions to what is wrong with IE 9? I'm running 64 bit home edition of Vista.

For me it works fine with IE 9 or Chrome. With Firefox I just get a spinning icon indicating that it's waiting to load, but it never loads. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)