Crooked pole for crooked hole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I should've called this the war on wildlife thread, I am now calling a war on wildlife at my house. Last night a big fat rabbit (I think) ate up the dozen or so strawberry plants I put out last week, and another creature continues to poke holes in the back yard. So I went to the hardware and bought some metal fence posts, knowing how tough it'd be to put them in this rockpile-ground, to put some fencing around my strawberry patch. When I replant it, that is. Amazingly, all but one post went in deep enough to hold up chicken wire, and I ended up bending it to hades trying to find a spot it would go into the ground. I decided I would beat a hole out in there someplace, and put it in concrete if I had to. Took about 90mins of railroad-barring and rock-chiseling to get a 20" or so deep hole but it ended up being crooked because of the layers of limestone (too thick to bust through with average means)
I had this crooked primestar pole,, and I thought, why not-might wanna put a dish there someday, as its right in front of my 10' sami. The crook of the pole pretty well matches the trajectory of the hole, and it'll hold up chicken wire too for the time being. I don't see why it wouldn't work-if I keep the top part of the pole level and plumb. LOL

Attachments

• img_0001.jpg
    img_0001.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 260
Did someone say crooked pole! Heres what I did. Absolutely perfect everytime. I built this mount because I found I was 1/2 a degree off. (Yes, "Half a degree") I tried everything but I couldn't get it dead on 0. Now, no matter what I can get it dead on. :D

It allows for superfine adjustments. The base is also a bit tighter fit.

Attachments

• adjustable-polar-mount.JPG
    adjustable-polar-mount.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 235
  • adjustable-polar-mount2.JPG
    adjustable-polar-mount2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 216
Did someone say crooked pole! Heres what I did. Absolutely perfect everytime. I built this mount because I found I was 1/2 a degree off. (Yes, "Half a degree") I tried everything but I couldn't get it dead on 0. Now, no matter what I can get it dead on. :D

Those pictures look similar to my first BUD. It's mount had two flat plates like that, with three bolts, but the difference was that right in the center between the two flat plates, was a BIG ball bearing type thing that the two plates moved around. I keep thinking about making another one of those. It worked really well, and it had a built in bubble level sitting on top of the top plate, so you could see when it was level.

Those pictures look similar to my first BUD. It's mount had two flat plates like that, with three bolts, but the difference was that right in the center between the two flat plates, was a BIG ball bearing type thing that the two plates moved around. I keep thinking about making another one of those. It worked really well, and it had a built in bubble level sitting on top of the top plate, so you could see when it was level.

Don't give me any ideas! I was looking for a bearing as I built it. If I see something laying around that might work I'll give it a try.

Good job c-band! Those kinds of problems will give you gray hair alright.
Now, that crooked pole for crooked hole thing was going to be MY April Fool joke, haha, but
now that I've looked at it some more, I think I WILL try to make it work. But its supposed to rain again tomorrow. If I go for the quickrete I'll have to take a plastic bag lol.

:D

C-Band that is ingenious!!
We got some cleverly inventive & resourceful J-Riggers out there!
Problem solved! Great engineering! TWO THUMBS UP on cleverness!! :up :up

FTABman0_Avitar.gif

Don't give me any ideas! I was looking for a bearing as I built it. If I see something laying around that might work I'll give it a try.

Just to describe it better, perhaps a bearing wasn't the best term, but what it was, was about a 3/4" steel ball, and there was a hole part way through each plate, that the ball rested in. The 3 bolts around the outside of the steel plates then only had to pull to level the thing as the steel ball acted as a fulcrum but it could tilt in any direction. At least that's the way I remember it, since it was over 20 years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)