Crossing the border with newly purchased equipment

skremla

Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I live in Atlanta, but I'm going to be in the Detroit area next weekend.

I'm thinking about driving over to Windsor to FutureShop and picking up a DSR505 system.

Does anyone think I might encounter a problem with US Customs?

nah no issues...you do know you can't get the dish when you get the system, right? SC doesn't sell the dish with the system...the installer brings it (if you lived in Canada) :)

nah no issues...you do know you can't get the dish when you get the system, right? SC doesn't sell the dish with the system...the installer brings it (if you lived in Canada) :)

Didn't know that...

Would Bell ExpressVu be a better option, then?

I want this mainly for watching hockey.

nope. ExpressVu they sign you up right there and you need a Canadian address and a SIN (Social ID Number)

Dont get me wrong...for the dish for SC you have 2 options
-if all you want is the main programming, get a 30" dish and a KU LNB at one of the sponsers at the top of the page
-if you want both (2nd satellite is mainly HD) then get the dish directly from kusat.com

Cool. Thanks for your help! I figure that the cost of the dish makes up for what I'd pay for programming through a broker.

The 60e dish is the smaller of the two StarChoice dishes, same shape and about 6-8 inches smaller than the directv slimline. The 75e dish is a little larger than the slimline and I would reccomend it for Atlanta and points south. As Iceberg says a 30" round will work for F1 if you are just interested in english programming and not hd/french. I'm told that the old Primestar dish works if they are still available down there. Starchoice is offering the Centre Ice hockey package this year but I'm not sure which satellite they put in on. Good luck and enjoy

the 60e would be too small in Atlanta. I installed one for someone in Minnesota and the signal numbers were kinda low compared to the 75e :)

Just as a side note...

according to the FTA (free trade agreement) there is no duty (either way) for consumer electronics. I have bought Sirius radios in the states long before they were available in Canuckville - just pay sales tax.

Good Luck

Satboyz

I have the 75E in Atlanta and it is ok unless you have a stormy day (it will black out longer becouse the signal is a bit weeker) I am considering going to a 2 dish system next fall...other wise the 75E works great.

according to the FTA (free trade agreement) there is no duty (either way) for consumer electronics. I have bought Sirius radios in the states long before they were available in Canuckville - just pay sales tax.

Good Luck

Satboyz

NAFTA/FTA only aplies to if the product, in this case the receiver was either made in Canada, US or Mexico other wise their duties on it. Is the motorola receivers made in Canada,US or Mexico?

Just looked at one of my 505's...

and it is made in Taiwan. Seriously, I have never been asked country of origin on any electronics that I have brought back to Canada - just pay the dreaded GST.

Satboyz:D

nope. ExpressVu they sign you up right there and you need a Canadian address and a SIN (Social ID Number)
When did they start requiring a SIN?
I know you need an address, but didn't think they required a SIN. At least I never gave one. No biggee, as I can always give my wifes.

US Customs is a bitch when trying to bring anything back accross the border, especially satellite receivers.

If this tells you something, I live in Detroit and I won't even dare to drive accross the border with satellite equipment.

Your personally better off going to future shop, and then taking the system over to the UPS Store and mailing it back to Atlanta :)

Good Luck

Satboyz

Has to be made in the USA, Canada or Mexico. Anything made in Taiwan, China, Korea, or the Phillippines is subject to Tax

When did they start requiring a SIN?
I know you need an address, but didn't think they required a SIN. At least I never gave one. No biggee, as I can always give my wifes.

Under Canadian Law the only ones "legally" allowed to see your SIN or ask for it is the Bank for banking and tax purposes, the feds/province for taxes and other government things and your employer. Anyone else is NOT LEGALLY allowed to ask or see your SIN number.

Now I'm not sure how this done in the with your SIN or what ever its called who is "legally" allowed to see or ask for it.

Under Canadian Law the only ones "legally" allowed to see your SIN or ask for it is the Bank for banking and tax purposes, the feds/province for taxes and other government things and your employer. Anyone else is NOT LEGALLY allowed to ask or see your SIN number.

Now I'm not sure how this done in the with your SIN or what ever its called who is "legally" allowed to see or ask for it.

Are they not legally allowed, or you cannot be compelled to answer?

In the US, it seems that there are a handful of circumstances where you can be required to divulge your Social Security Number, but many others where you can refuse (but they can also refuse whatever service/product they were otherwise going to sell/provide because of that).

Are they not legally allowed, or you cannot be compelled to answer?

In the US, it seems that there are a handful of circumstances where you can be required to divulge your Social Security Number, but many others where you can refuse (but they can also refuse whatever service/product they were otherwise going to sell/provide because of that).

There not allowed to ask for it by LAW unless there are approved by the government and Bell isn't one of them.Now if you give that info on your own thats up to you but legally your not required to do so.

a lot of places "try' and get away with it. Problem is some people are not aware of the law and give out that info. Like I said I'm not sure what the 'law' is for the US but here falls under the Privacy Act and some other government regulation. Now unless some thing has changed and I'm not aware of it, but giving yourr out your SIN number opens up your "personal" file with all finacle info and stuff like that.

Last edited:

The US has the same law in regards to SSN's, but a business also has a right not to do business with you, that's how they get around the law. You either show them the number (for a credit check), or they don't do business with you.

Big box retailers in Canada do require a drivers' license to buy a receiver, but there is a way around this, just prove you have a legal address, hydro bill typically works, that's what I've used in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)