Crossing the border with newly purchased equipment

I've only been asked for a driver's license when when buying a BEV receiver... but a Georgia license will kill the deal too. You will need a Canadian billing address. *C is the best bet. *C reception is better in the southern US and *C is not as uptight about southern subscribers. Mail order a good bet for any satellite equipment. Dishes are cheap on eBay. Kusat also has dishes and other hardware. I've purchased from them several times.

BEWARE!

This past year I was crossing the US/Canadian border at the NY/Ontario border while coming back with a 100% legit Shaw Direct receiver that I had purchased from a retail store (not a shady broker or anything). After I did nothing more than explain to them that I was merely shopping and that I had purchased an "HDTV Receiver" without giving too much detail. I was asked repeatedly why I was going all the way to Canada just to shop, and more specifically what was "so special" about the receiver that you would drive all the way to Canada for it. They seemed more concerned with the illegal importation of FTA receivers, even though It was a 100% legit purchase and I had all the accompanying store receipts + serial numbers on the receiver FULLY available for their inspection. Not only was I held up at the border for 45 minutes, I had to sit in a waiting room while my car was searched. Even the contents of my video camera and other electric devices (cell phone) were reviewed. I did research after the trip and found multiple complaints about how the 4th Amendment did not apply at the border and that they have the right without a warrant to search any and all electric devices such as Laptops, Video Cameras, Cell Phones, and yes Satellite Receivers at the border. If you crossing the border, make sure its a legit purchase. I was eventually told that I was "free to go." I just wanted to post this because I reviewed this very thread before planning that trip after finding out that others had little to no problems. Hopefully, this saves somebody else from going through what I had to go through last year...

Last edited:
interesting. thanks for sharing. the good thing is that your equipment was not seized. i imported a 630 and 605 this past summer and didn't have any problems like that. we were in Canada for week visiting friends and family. we crossed in Sarnia.