CS upgrading me with Genie 2 - worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
My contract is up, and they can’t take anymore money off. They did offer the Genie 2 at no extra cost. I currently have the HR54.

What’s the latest on the Genie 2? Is it worth it? Does it have issues? Should I just cancel it and keep the 54?

I’m still experiencing the problem of 2 of my minis not working while my internet is on on the 54. I think it’s due to the 4k minis not being hooked up to 4k TVs. Hope the tech would fix that while installing the Genie 2. I just don’t want more problems though if it’s a headache.

Thanks

Genie 2 works fine but isn't much of an upgrade over the HR54. 7 tuners instead of 5, think the hard drive is double.
If you have any receivers that aren't clients they will have to be replaced with a client.

Likely a two year commitment for accepting the upgrade. So if you aren't sure you plan to stay you may want to consider that.

As for your clients not working while the internet is on, that sounds pretty unusual. The 4K clients shouldn't have anything to do with it as they will work on any TV.
How is your internet hooked up, do you have a broad back DECA or is it just connected to ethernet on the HR54?

The HS17 allows you to get two 4K channels at a time (like view one record another) if that's something you're interested in. Right at this time the HS17 does not support an AM21 and the new LLC doesn't show the HS17 as a supported receiver.

Remember the HS17 does not connect to a TV so you'd get a client for where the HR54 is currently at. That also means you would lose PIP and ESPN3 support since clients don't have those functions.

The HS17 allows you to get two 4K channels at a time (like view one record another) if that's something you're interested in. Right at this time the HS17 does not support an AM21 and the new LLC doesn't show the HS17 as a supported receiver.

Remember the HS17 does not connect to a TV so you'd get a client for where the HR54 is currently at. That also means you would lose PIP and ESPN3 support since clients don't have those functions.

Oh wow, so the Genie 2 is a client, and that would replace the 54? Is it slow to respond and lag? That might be enough to want me to cancel the order.

Wait, the 54 does PIP? I didn’t know that.

I went to a cheaper package to lower my bill so 4k is out of the question.

Yes, my non 4k TVs are hooked up to 4k clients, and if internet is on on the main Genie, those clients won’t work currently.

Oh wow, so the Genie 2 is a client, and that would replace the 54? Is it slow to respond and lag? That might be enough to want me to cancel the order.

I went to a cheaper package to lower my bill so 4k is out of the question.

Yes, my non 4k TVs are hooked up to 4k clients, and if internet is on on the main Genie, those clients won’t work currently.
No the HS17/Genie 2 is just a server, there is no HDMI/Video outputs on it. Plus DIRECTV has decided once you get a HS17 there are no other receivers or DVRs allowed on the account so the HR54 would be replaced.

As long as you have the Select or higher package you get access to the 4K programming, so all you need is the C61K clients.

Don't know about your client/internet issue, I have my HS17 connected and my two C61K's work just fine.

It kinda sounds like in your case, it's not really doing you anything other than giving you 2 streams of 4k (which you pointed out your not using) ...
Personally, I'd stick with what you have and not have a new 2 year commitment and not have the hassle of everything being replaced and changed to clients (if thats an issue for you).
provided everything is working ... and I'd just have them come out and resolve your internet issue.

No the HS17/Genie 2 is just a server, there is no HDMI/Video outputs on it. Plus DIRECTV has decided once you get a HS17 there are no other receivers or DVRs allowed on the account so the HR54 would be replaced.

As long as you have the Select or higher package you get access to the 4K programming, so all you need is the C61K clients.

Don't know about your client/internet issue, I have my HS17 connected and my two C61K's work just fine.

I don't like how the C61 clients seem slower than the HR54 to respond to remote commands. If the Genie 2 is like that I don't think I'll like it.

Yes I understand if I get the Genie 2, the HR54 will be replaced. Considering just keeping the HR54 then. I really hope this didn't lock me into a 2 year contract. The "retentions rep" assured me it wouldn't put me into a contract at all. Hope I can trust her!

I don't know which package I got moved to. I got rid of ESPNU, Big10, OWN, Game Show Network, so it's the package below that. I doubt that includes 4k.

I don't like how the C61 clients seem slower than the HR54 to respond to remote commands. If the Genie 2 is like that I don't think I'll like it.

Yes I understand if I get the Genie 2, the HR54 will be replaced. Considering just keeping the HR54 then. I really hope this didn't lock me into a 2 year contract. The "retentions rep" assured me it wouldn't put me into a contract at all. Hope I can trust her!

I don't know which package I got moved to. I got rid of ESPNU, Big10, OWN, Game Show Network, so it's the package below that. I doubt that includes 4k.
You can’t trust her. It is going to start a new 2 year deal

I think you are making the right decision.

Thanks

Yeah I finally took time to turn my internet back on on the 54. Surprisingly my minis in the other rooms did work! I guess DTV finally figured out the issue.

Just canceled the Genie 2 order and will just stick to my 54. Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: raoul5788
Thanks

Yeah I finally took time to turn my internet back on on the 54. Surprisingly my minis in the other rooms did work! I guess DTV finally figured out the issue.

Just canceled the Genie 2 order and will just stick to my 54. Thanks for the replies!
I really didn't see enough advantage to you upgrading in this instance ... now if you were going from all Non Genies to HS17, then thats different. even then your losing the ability to have individual DVRs and ability to have something still work if the main one goes down ... that doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts