Cubs Baseball programming changes for select markets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Broe67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Central IL.
It was announced tonight that for 22 games, starting on April 7th, WAND will start rebroadcasting Cubs games on the NBC (17.1 OTA) channel. Regular NBC programming during game time will be carried on the Cozi-TV Sub-Channel (17.2).

This is due to the Chicago out of market agreement with WGN ownership. Anyone else that is getting the same thing in their market, lets keep this thread updated.

WGN produces 45 Cubs games this year for regular season broadcast, which are aired throughout the midwest on various OTA stations.
Each station will be facing decisions like this, whether to place on a substation, the primary, or a mix of both.
The example above shows WAND expects better ratings on Cubs games than NBC programming, which over the summer may be the case.
Many are on MyNet which easily can skip default network programming.

Here is a link to the WGN produced games:
http://wgntvsales.com/Sports/Cubs_Schedule.pdf

This is the OTA stations originally planned to carry CUBS OTA:
*Games also airing on the following WGN Cubs local TV station affiliates...
WNDY 23.1 (MyNetworkTV) or WISH 8.1 (The CW) Indianapolis
KCWI 23.1 (The CW) or WOI 5.1 (ABC) Des Moines – Ames (32 games)
WAND 17.2 (Cozi TV) or 17.1 (NBC) or WBUI 23.1 (The CW) Champaign & Springfield – Decatur (34 games)
KCRG 9.2 (MyNetworkTV) or 9.3 (Antenna TV) or 9.1 (ABC) Cedar Rapids – Waterloo – Iowa City & Dubuque
WMYS 69.1 (MyNetworkTV) South Bend – Elkhart
WQAD 8.3 (MyNetworkTV) Davenport – Rock Island – Moline
WISE 33.2 (MyNetworkTV) Fort Wayne (38 games)
WAOE 59.1 (MyNetworkTV) Peoria – Bloomington
WIFR 23.2 (Antenna TV) Rockford
WGEM 10.2 (The CW) or 10.3 (Fox) Quincy – Hannibal – Keokuk (Five games)

Ummmmm.....ABC channel 7 out of Chicago has the Cubs now....How its distributed I do not know?

WGN TV and Radio are no longer tied in any way to the Cubbies... Other than there part ownership in CSN Chicago...

Ummmmm.....ABC channel 7 out of Chicago has the Cubs now....How its distributed I do not know?

WGN TV and Radio are no longer tied in any way to the Cubbies... Other than there part ownership in CSN Chicago...
WGN TV ch 9 is still showing 45 Cubs games this year. Those are the same 45 games that are being shown on the network of stations that the original poster has mentioned. ABC 7 is showing some games as well, the remainder of the games are on CSN Chicago. NO games are on WGN America, which is now a cable network completely separate from any programming of WGN TV, ch 9.

Reactions: Broe67
WGN TV ch 9 is still showing 45 Cubs games this year. Those are the same 45 games that are being shown on the network of stations that the original poster has mentioned. ABC 7 is showing some games as well, the remainder of the games are on CSN Chicago. NO games are on WGN America, which is now a cable network completely separate from any programming of WGN TV, ch 9.

Thanks for the update...My 87 year old mom said ABC7 was there new channel....
I did see that WBBM has radio now......There going to have to put a winner out there now...Don't have the Tribune company crutch anymore!

Tonight is a Rain Delay, because of weather. Our local NBC channel cannot win for anything. People are blaming them for the game being cancelled, to why should they have to pay for an antenna to pick up the local sub-channel.

Well that only tells part of the story...Go figure....nothing about the other 2 channels carrying the load.
Did you see the link in my earlier post? It is a complete breakdown of the Cubs television affiliates. If you click on the affiliates guide on the Cubs site, it lists all the OTA broadcasts and what station they will be on. The rest of the games are on CSN Chicago or a the select few that are national broadcasts on FOX or ESPN.

Reactions: Broe67
Did you see the link in my earlier post? It is a complete breakdown of the Cubs television affiliates. If you click on the affiliates guide on the Cubs site, it lists all the OTA broadcasts and what station they will be on. The rest of the games are on CSN Chicago or a the select few that are national broadcasts on FOX or ESPN.

Yes and your point?....
I was addressing someone else's post that showed 1/3rd of what the deal was....JFC?

When I pulled the guide up this afternoon. It was correct for both the Satellite feed for 17, and OTA for 17.1 & 17.2. I have come to realize after reading through the posts on WAND-TV's Facebook page. Is that people think that this change should not have happened. Nor should they have to get the ATSC tuner, and/or an antenna if they have DirecTV.

I am sure when the ownership of WAND sits down at the table. They will most likely iron out a deal for the carriage of 17.2 & 23.2 on the birds for spot beams. But you can only hope so much.

Same problem for the White Sox.... I live in Rockford, and have Directv and we are technically not in the Chicago Market... needless to say the Sox games got picked up by WREX 13.3, which is not in HD so I "moved" last week into the Chicago area, now I don't have to worry.

When I pulled the guide up this afternoon. It was correct for both the Satellite feed for 17, and OTA for 17.1 & 17.2. I have come to realize after reading through the posts on WAND-TV's Facebook page. Is that people think that this change should not have happened. Nor should they have to get the ATSC tuner, and/or an antenna if they have DirecTV.

I am sure when the ownership of WAND sits down at the table. They will most likely iron out a deal for the carriage of 17.2 & 23.2 on the birds for spot beams. But you can only hope so much.
DirecTv doesn't carry any subchannels, so I highly doubt that will happen.

DirecTv doesn't carry any subchannels, so I highly doubt that will happen.
I'd rephrase that as they don't carry many sub channels. Come area carried, possibly by stations that negotiated it in agreements or where DirecTV felt the desire worthy.

Flint MI for example has a PBS sub channel carried that airs their Create station. Some markets have stations like CW off a sub channel, and some small markets even get a big-4 feed from sub channels.

Recently DirecTV has started adding a few markets CW feed from sub channels, but they sure aren't working very quickly at it.

Reactions: ejb1980
NC's PBS has a subchannel, too. The Raleigh DMA even has a LP (WTNC-LP 26 Unimas) on Directv. Not in HD, which it is OTA, but they still carry it. Dish even carries the CW subchannel in the Burlington VT DMA. Directv does not.

I'd rephrase that as they don't carry many sub channels. Come area carried, possibly by stations that negotiated it in agreements or where DirecTV felt the desire worthy.

Flint MI for example has a PBS sub channel carried that airs their Create station. Some markets have stations like CW off a sub channel, and some small markets even get a big-4 feed from sub channels.

Recently DirecTV has started adding a few markets CW feed from sub channels, but they sure aren't working very quickly at it.

You are correct, sub channels that are network affiliates have gotten carriage. In my area, Nashville, not a one, there are 2 PBS station that both do carry Create and neither is carried by DirecTv. I still haven't heard of any instance of carriage for, what I'll call for lack of a better term, Sub channel Networks. Me-Tv, etc. If someone does have an instance of carriage of one of those nets, I'd love to hear it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)