Cubs in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fbara

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Oswego, IL
This is my first baseball season with E*. I live in a suburb of Chicago and I'm in the Chicago RSN.

Normally, I can find the Cubs game in HD, but tonight I can only find it on 450 in SD.

Can any of you more experienced Chicago-area Cubs fans tell me how you 1) find which channel the Cubs are on (I had to search for a while to find them) and 2) how to find tonight's game in HD?

Thanks!
Frank

Looking at the guide on DirecTV it shows the Reds/Cubs are on CSN-Chicago's alternate channel since the Blackhawks are on the main channel. CSN-Chicago is producing the game in HD (I can see it) so it must be that Dish has decided to not fire up a partime channel to carry it since it's an alternate channel for CSN-Chicago.

Dish has ALT HD channels open yet again tonight and they don't offer CSN+HD. What a shocker, plus no NESN-HD yet again for the Bruins game in NHL Center Ice tonight.

This game was broadcast in HD on FS Cinn last night. Obviously not the Cubs feed but luckily I'm in a Reds, Cubs, White Sox & Tigers area.

Think I'm one of the few that the multisports pack really benefits.

If you want the CSN alt channel bad enough, you could consider calling your local cable provider (usually its Comcast Chicago, but it can vary if your in the burbs or even a downtown high-rise) and getting their basic package to supplement what you current get from E*. You should be able to get the games broadcast not only on CSN+, but the WGN alternative games on WCIU as well in HD (if your not already getting WCIU-HD via OTA) I'm not sure if D* even offers WCIU in HD as part of their HD-lil offering for Chicago. I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think its even available via their fancy sports packages either...maybe somebody will tell us...

Call your local cable. If you have a residence that is already at least cable-ready, than the only thing standing in your way is whether or not you think its worth the price for the occasional game...

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't affort to get the basic Comcast service in addition to the E* service, but it's a good suggestion.

It seems to be hit-or-miss whether or not the Cubs will be in HD. Most of the time they are, but I think Rad was correct, they were bumped from the HD channel to show the Blackhawks playoff game.

It's really frustrating (being a Cubs fan, yes I know....) having to search around for the game and find what channel it's on.

Oh well, in the big scheme of things, it's not worth getting upset about.

Frank

If you want the CSN alt channel bad enough, you could consider calling your local cable provider (usually its Comcast Chicago, but it can vary if your in the burbs or even a downtown high-rise) and getting their basic package to supplement what you current get from E*. You should be able to get the games broadcast not only on CSN+, but the WGN alternative games on WCIU as well in HD (if your not already getting WCIU-HD via OTA) I'm not sure if D* even offers WCIU in HD as part of their HD-lil offering for Chicago. I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think its even available via their fancy sports packages either...maybe somebody will tell us...

Call your local cable. If you have a residence that is already at least cable-ready, than the only thing standing in your way is whether or not you think its worth the price for the occasional game...

If his cable provider is Comcast, he actually has to subscribe to the extended basic package to get CSN & CSN+. CSN+ HD is on ch 285, so a cable box is required, these channels are not in clear QAM. Probably looking at around $50/ month.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't affort to get the basic Comcast service in addition to the E* service, but it's a good suggestion.

You shouldnt have to. Dish should offer both Comcast Sports Net full time in HD as well as the alt channel when its on. EVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I mean EVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! other provider carry's both. DISH NETWORK is the only one who DOESNT.

The list:

Who carrys Comscast Sports Net Chicago Full time in HD with the alt channel in HD.

COMCAST
DIRECTV
UVERSE
WOW
RCN
Verizon FIOS

Who Doesnt carry Comcast Sports Net Chicago Full time in HD

DISH

See the Trend. I suggest (this also applys to out of market people to) if you would like to see YOUR RSN in HD FULL TIME on dish You need to call them up or email the CEO and tell them how you are pissed that they dont offer this service where as every other provider does. Fortunatly I know this is why Dish is churning so much. People look at dish's lineup and laugh when they cant see their local team in HD. This is my Number one Reason why I have not come back to dish and why Directv is in my house. While you have great DVR's, they dont do crap when you dont have the programming to support it.

Dish has ALT HD channels open yet again tonight and they don't offer CSN+HD. What a shocker, plus no NESN-HD yet again for the Bruins game in NHL Center Ice tonight.
Hate to say it over and over but there is a benefit to putting all HD RSNs and their Alternates up on CONUS 24/7 like Direct does. When one Dish reserves only a certain number of slots for active HD RSN feed, it limits the number of games that can be shown at one time (even within their respective market)

It seems to be hit-or-miss whether or not the Cubs will be in HD. Most of the time they are, but I think Rad was correct, they were bumped from the HD channel to show the Blackhawks playoff game.

It's really frustrating (being a Cubs fan, yes I know....) having to search around for the game and find what channel it's on.

Frank
You can always switch to cable exclusively or switch to DirecTV exclusively or which ever other provider is in your area. Either will provide your CUB needs on a regular basis. You just need to see if it is important enough for you to make the switch based on your other needs.

Tomorrow's White Sox game will be on CSN+, but the Cubs game will be on CSN again.

There is a bigger fan base for the Cubs. Sorry GoalieBob, but its true. :)

I too looked for the Cubs game briefly yesterday, and saw it on the other RSN, but blacked out. Then again, they got blanked yesterday, so probably not a loss. :(

I realized last week that by "moving" to Chicago, the Fox Midwest channels are now out of market, so the St. Louis games on MW are no longer in-market. Its not an issue for college sports, but then again, few of those are in HD.

But by being in Chicago, I get the WGN9 and not just WGN America.

Frank

Do you get broadband from Comcast? If so, Basic cable is pretty much free. They charge $15 more if you do not have cable service, but lifeline cable only costs $15, so I get both. I did not check the QAM feed to see if they were carrying the Cubs game unencrypted. The next time that happens, I'll scan the comcast feed to see what shows up.

This is my first baseball season with E*. I live in a suburb of Chicago and I'm in the Chicago RSN.

Normally, I can find the Cubs game in HD, but tonight I can only find it on 450 in SD.

Can any of you more experienced Chicago-area Cubs fans tell me how you 1) find which channel the Cubs are on (I had to search for a while to find them) and 2) how to find tonight's game in HD?

Thanks!
Frank

I think it was on WCIU-26 in HD. You will need an outdoor antenna for this channels HD feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts