curious dish find

Status
Please reply by conversation.

will822

Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
central US
Recently found this one piece 8.5 ft mesh aluminum dish with a rolled edge. It came with a chaparral single band (corotor?), uniden cband lnb, and a prosat resister type actuator, prosat actuator box and a uniden analog receiver. The pic shows a von weiss actuator which I have already added. The string test showed good alignment. Focal length is about 38.5 inches. Any ideas as to the maker?

Attachments

• 100_0903.jpg
    100_0903.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_0905.jpg
    100_0905.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0906.jpg
    100_0906.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_09041.jpg
    100_09041.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 158
thanks Anole for the info. after looking at your pics, this one looks like a twin. The mount on the back of my dish could be hiding the label. I measured the holes in this one at 1/8 inch. Two guys lifted the dish onto the pole, so it isn't very heavy. This one also has a plastic piece that covers the edge of the circumference. I put on a bsc621 before it got too dark and got some c-band without doing anything but pointing. 95 west is almost on my north-south so 95W was showing a few channels. Satmex6 on over to the west also had some channels showing, so I am convinced that this going be usable. I'll try for some precision and hope to lock in some Ku stuff tomorrow.

I think that the dish once upon a time, long ago, had a white paint on it. Some of the bird sh8t will come off with a little scrubbing. Any ideas about the idea of a coat of white paint?

I don't believe mine ever had any paint on it.
The neutral dull grey color is very stealthy and quite beautiful.
Since there doesn't seem to be any metal corrosion after 15+ years of service, I'd assume the surface has had some sort of preparation.

The thing you think about with aluminum, is clear anodizing or hard anodizing the surface.
I will propose that is what has been done to the dish to make it weather resistant, until someone comes up with a better idea.

ALSO, a close look at your dish and mine reveal a small difference.
The three LNB support legs are closer together on my dish.
However, since the dish is identical, and the stamped support ring is similar, I'd still suggest they came from the same factory.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)