Current 6000 owner should I jump at an 811

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
WOW.. the 811 deal is great news. Anybody have any idea how long the deal will last. I am a current 6000 user and I am thinking about jumping but not sure if it is worth it.

1) How much better is DVI vs Component? (I Know this is subjective)
2) What do you gain going to the 811?
3) Wonder if there will be a killer 921 deal. Would hate to jump at an 811 and then have a 921 deal come up in a month that is too good to pass up.

People that jump from the 6000 to the 811.. Why did you make the jump?

I have a 6000 and see no reason to replace it with a 811 (now a 921 is a different matter altogether).

The difference between DVI, component, and RGB are minmal, if any, as they contain the same information content, just in slightly different forms.

Reports have it that the component outputs of the 6000 cannot be downrezed to sub-HD resolution. Presumably, the 811 can. 'yet another reason to hold on to the 6000.

OTOH, the OTA receiver in the 811 should work somewhat better than the one in the 6000.

DVI will give the most noticable improvement on a digital display (LCD, DLP, etc.)- with component your box renders the signal to an analog format, then the digital display re-converts it to digital data for display. With DVI, you bypass the digital-to-analog, analog-to-digital steps.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that any HDTV (regardless of display type) will resample component input to digital for required processing, then do an additional D/A for display by the CRTs on a CRT-based RPTV.

Therefore, even on a CRT RPTV there can be gains on DVI inputs. There won't always be, and some sets will show more improvement based on the quality of the A/D and D/A.

Cheers,

Well that gives some time.... Thanks for the info. So what new features does the 811 offer over the 6000 besides the DVI. Sounds like I would see some PQ improvement since I do have a Sony LCD GWII. Anybody with a Sony LCD GWII doing the upgrade. Would be interested on their opinion on the quality improvement.

For me, the differences are:

- DVI
- 2 day EPG
- HD+SD at the same time (I need that)
- 8VSB noise? (any word on this one?)

The 811 is also supposed to get the Dish Home Interactive software in a later upgrade. It also has the new silver DVR remote which I think has greater UHF range. 200' vs 100' ?

WeeJavaDude said:
Sounds like I would see some PQ improvement since I do have a Sony LCD GWII.

Maybe, but don't put get your hopes up. Remember that none of the anecdotal "it looks better than analog" postings are based on double-blind observations, and thus are not real data.

The main motivation for DVI was cost-savings and content protection, not performance.

Maybe, but don't put get your hopes up. Remember that none of the anecdotal "it looks better than analog" postings are based on double-blind observations, and thus are not real data.

The main motivation for DVI was cost-savings and content protection, not performance.

Interesting Point. This brings up the question does the 811 keep a true digital path from the sat to the DVI output ? In other words does it bypass any digital > analog > digital conversion.

The reason I ask is a few of the "black box" DVD players with DVI connectors (Bravo D1 is one) totally bypass the analog domain, they are pure digital from the CD to the TV screen when using the DVI connector.

IF you have ever seen how a Plasma TV with DVI being feed by a DVI enabled DVD player you will certainly see an amazing difference in PQ.

I hope (but doubt) the 811 does this, will know for sure Friday !!

markusian said:
For me, the differences are:

- DVI
- 2 day EPG
- HD+SD at the same time (I need that)
- 8VSB noise? (any word on this one?)

Doesn't the 811 have the capability to show PIG (Picture in Guide)

My wife hates the 6000 just for the lack of that feature alone!