Current 622 or Wait for the New One?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I was going to ask a series of questions regarding upgrading to HDTV, but I decided to simply ask one question:
with the new Vip622-1 supposedly coming out mid-year, should I just wait until then to upgrade to HDTV?

I currently have a 721 -- which finally seems to be stable most of the time -- and I have yet to buy an HDTV (am seriously considering the Sony KDS-60A2000). I would like to have HDTV, but with the new 622 coming out, it would seem to make sense to wait until it's available.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Richard

With their track record of promises at CES shows, I wouldn't hold your breath on the new 622. But thats up to you. My guess is it will be more like a year before we see any new receivers.

Mid year? Oh, I thought it was February. I certainly wouldn't wait, then. Not a lot of difference between the two. By the time the ViP 622-1 is released, we should have the USB external storage available, so that would more than make up for any hard disk size difference. VC-1 "might" be added to the ViP622 or "might" never be used by Dish anyway.

You could be enjoying HD now - no need to wait months for a minor improvement. There's always something "better" around the corner.

Of course, in 6 months that HDTV might be cheaper, too. But again, you'll have lost out on 6 months of HD enjoyment. Only you & your wife can decide if it's worth it to you. :p

Mid year? Oh, I thought it was February.
Hmmm. After doing more research, I could not find a definitive availability date. One person at CES said mid-year, and others seem to think earlier.

By the time the ViP 622-1 is released, we should have the USB external storage available, so that would more than make up for any hard disk size difference.

So you think that the USB external storage capability will be added to the current version of the 622?

Right now I'm thinking that I might buy the Sony HDTV, get it set up, and then see what, if anything, happens with Dish and the 622 in February. If nothing new appears on the immediate horizon, then I'll go with the current 622.

Thirty hours of HD recording is really not enough, so I hope you're right about the possibility of external storage being added to the current 622. I know that this next part is just speculation, but do you think that USB external storage could be used for real-time recording, or just for archiving recordings?

Thanks,
Richard

I hope I'm right, too, and not starry eyed over the prospect of it only being delivered, oh what, 6 months after Charlie said it would be available.

It is currently supposed to be used for real time recording, use any USB drive below 1TB (& they say they'll remove that limit later), and have an unspecified one time USB External Storage enabling fee. And work on any ViP (or ViP622) on the account. But these announced features could change.

Yep, 30 hours isn't enough. I've already lost recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)