• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I'm ashamed to say I don't know to set this poll up, so will someone that does please do it.

I'd like to see a poll put up here that: "Assuming the New HD MPEG4 channels are launched on or about Feb 1st, how many current Dish HD subs will:

1. Expect to recieve them on a 211 / 411.
2. Expect to recieve them on a 622.
3. Want them but don't expect to have a 211 / 411 by then.
4. Want them but don't expect to have a 622 by then.
5. Not care because they don't want them anyway.

I would love to have a 211 now but I don't expect to have it by Feb. 1st. I'm being optimistic and hopefully I'll have it in Feb. to watch the new HD channels.

dfergie said:

Thanks, that's perfect except could you please fix it so it has the appropiate poll title visible from the Dish HDTV forum instead of "Can someone please create a poll" ?

I want to get back on Satt, (miss voOm) and I want off the crap that TWC is sending to me and crappy PQ.. I would go to dish if they get OLN back.....

I voted that I want them and expect to see them on a 622. I am new to HD and I orederd one from Claude at dishstore. If I already has a 942/921 then I would wait until April and save $200. I just hope Claude gets them in on time because right now I only have a 510 and OTA.

DWS44 said:
You need one more option in the poll:

"Want them but stuck waiting till April for the 942 upgrade rebate"

I thought of that but frankly didn't know how to word it and to tell you the truth, I fully expect it will go well beyond that.

Actually what I expect will happen, is the new HD will go online in MPEG4 Feb 1st and then it's going to sink in and the preverbial light bulb is going to go on and all of a sudden this list is going to be flooded with ticked off subs that don't want to wait till April 1st before they can even "get in line".

Then at some point, after Dish figures they've squeezed every $$$ they can from those willing to either pay the full $299 or even buy it at full retail, they'll come out with a statment to the effect that "MPEG4" STILL is having problems, so we will be lighting theses new channels up in "MEPG2" after all.

Last edited:
Is my understanding that they will be MPEG2 in the beginning but will carry a MPEG4 flag so only MPEG4 receivers can get them

dlm10541 said:
Is my understanding that they will be MPEG2 in the beginning but will carry a MPEG4 flag so only MPEG4 receivers can get them

You're right. I should have used the MPEG terms in quotes.

OK, over a 100 people voted so far and 60% want the new HD channels but think they won't have a 622 by the launch date.

These are the facts:
Dish has made numerous promises about HD over the last 2 years and often claims to be the "HD leader".

Dish has said that MPEG4 is not "doing what they expected" and "is not ready for use yet".

Dish will finially put up more HD on Feb 1st but restrict it to MPEG4 receivers (even though it's really going to be in MPEG2).

Dish is telling their existing customers that have spent the most on HD equipment that they won't even talk to them about upgrading until after the new channels are launched and if you own a 921 or 942 and want the $200 rebate, you can't even get in line until after April 1st.

Is it unreasonable to assume that even though the new HD will launch on Feb 1st, many (most) of us with 921s & 942s could be waiting until mid Spring - early Summer before we can see these new channels?

I need to vote twice :eek: I own a 411 but am stuck waiting for the 942 upgrade plan. Don't really expect it anytime soon. Late Spring/ Early Summer (although I have ruffled enough feathers recently.:devil:

teachsac said:
I need to vote twice :eek: I own a 411 but am stuck waiting for the 942 upgrade plan. Don't really expect it anytime soon. Late Spring/ Early Summer (although I have ruffled enough feathers recently.:devil:

At least the new programming will be available to you. Most of us with HD DVRs probably won't see any of the new HD for months.

Yeah just waiteing untill Feb 2 due to the last CSR I spoke with on Friday said they would not have the new Promo Codes untill then. I just plan on upgradeing my 811 to a 211 but my local reseller does not have any in stock right now. So Feb 2 I will go in get my Dish 1000 and hope that he can get a 211 between now and then. But going to waite untill Feb 2 due to the CSR's will have the info on the new HD Plans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)