Current TV finds a Buyer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Current TV acquired by Al Jazeera

From NYT [link]

Al Jazeera on Wednesday completed a deal to take over Current TV, the low-rated cable channel that was founded by Al Gore and his business partners seven years ago.

Rather than simply use Current to distribute its English-language channel, called Al Jazeera English and based in Doha, Qatar, Al Jazeera will create a new channel, called Al Jazeera America, based in New York. Roughly 60 percent of the programming will be produced in the United States, while the remaining 40 percent will come from Al Jazeera English.

Current’s programming will continue for about three months. Then an international feed of Al Jazeera English will be simulcast on the channel. Sometime later in 2013, the rebranded Al Jazeera news channel, with 60 percent American programming, will start.

Al Jazeera intends to open new bureaus across the United States to support the American programming. The news operation currently has bureaus in New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago.

More news channels is good news I guess.
I just wish it was the BBC News channel or CNN International not something owned by Al Jazeera, they seem one sided in there reporting sometimes.
We already have RT Russian News and CCTV China news, guess this will fit right in.
Dish needs to put all the new channels near each other so you can find them all on the guide.

Awesome, a satellite discussion board that actually calls a channel being purchased as a General topic!

I just got flamed elsewhere for challenging everything being classified as a DirecTV topic, so I might have to lurk here anymore for my news!

Anyways, will be interesting to see how it goes. TWC Cable in NYC already dropped the channel this evening, according to users on Current's Facebook.

AL JAZEERA TO START NEW U.S.-BASED NEWS CHANNEL

Al Jazeera Media Network announced that it will launch a new U.S.-based news channel that will provide both domestic news and international news for American audiences.
The new U.S.-based news channel will be the latest addition to the Al Jazeera Media Network which consists of: Al Jazeera English, Al Jazeera Arabic, Al Jazeera Documentary
http://www.aljazeerausannouncement.com/

Al Jazeera buys Current TV

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/01/02/al-jazeera-current-tv-al-gore/1805685/

Last edited:
Current was going downhill since they dropped Vanguard and documentaries. It turned into a bung of stupid opinion talk shows. Glad we will finally be getting some decent international news on Dish.

What was wrong with Al Jazeera English? How about they launch a HD feed first before they start worrying about launching even more SD?

How about buying up the rights to some U.S. sports so they can extort the providers into carrying them? TruTV used this tactic with great success with the NBA during March Madness. Their HD feed was carried by practically no one so Turner threw basketball on the channel and every provider suddenly added it to their lineup all at the same time. Sports had nothing to do with TruTV's branding but that didn't stop them.

Question is, will Dish continue to carry it. Time Warner I believe has said it will not, and can do that because of change in programming. Dish could further say they carry their news already, though obviously not 24hrs.

Awesome, a satellite discussion board that actually calls a channel being purchased as a General topic! .
well since it is a general cable/satellite topic yeah it does belong here. Two threads were in specific provider areas and its easier to have one discussion instead of 4 different ones ;)

Question is, will Dish continue to carry it. Time Warner I believe has said it will not, and can do that because of change in programming. Dish could further say they carry their news already, though obviously not 24hrs.

The deniers would always call me conspiracy nut when I suggested that there was a corporate conspiracy in the United States to keep any sort of international perspective outside of the mainstream. The plutocracy WANTS the average American citizen to be kept in the dark and focused solely inward, never thinking about what lies outside of their borders.

Time Warner drops the channel the day the announcement is made and it is already off of all of their systems the same day. I have never seen such uniform and quick action from this company.

Yeah, there's no conspiracy going on here at all...

The deniers would always call me conspiracy nut when I suggested that there was a corporate conspiracy in the United States to keep any sort of international perspective outside of the mainstream. The plutocracy WANTS the average American citizen to be kept in the dark and focused solely inward, never thinking about what lies outside of their borders.

Time Warner drops the channel the day the announcement is made and it is already off of all of their systems the same day. I have never seen such uniform and quick action from this company.

Still on Xfinity here. Maybe just someone at TWC has a problem with it.

Sent from my LG Thrill 4G(unlocked) using StraightTalk/T-Mobile

well since it is a general cable/satellite topic yeah it does belong here. Two threads were in specific provider areas and its easier to have one discussion instead of 4 different ones ;)
i wasn't sure where to put it..so I chose the PUB (The whole topic had the potential of going south)

You missed the reason TW dropped it so fast. They own CNN, CNN International. No secret, no conspiracy at least in this case.

I really wish Dish NW would consider removing this channel from all its packages. I really don't one penny of my money going to this station. It will just be a propaganda outlet for the radicals in the east.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)