Customer pc problems

mikeroberson2006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Who's responsible for making sure the customer can access the web from their pc after commisioning? It doesnt happen too often, but I have had a couple of jobs where I could not access the internet on the customers pc, although I could on my laptop. I installed the hughesnet activation cd and made sure their computer was configured correctly and spent at least 1/2 hour trying to access the web on their pc. After no luck, I explained to the customer that they need to call Hughesnet customer support to resolve their computer issues but they refused to sign the post installation check sheet unless they are able to access the web. So I had no choice but to call hughesnet support to resolve myself, and after 2 hours on the phone with them, still no go and I had to leave without all the paperwork signed.
Any suggestions?

First suspect would be their NIC card. Had one like that before even though system said it was operating properly.
As far as fixing it: Carge them. Sounds like this customer is sort of a @#$@# . They obviously know it's their computer problem, not the HN system.

In this case what I do is first is call Hughes and let them know what the problem is. They should have given you a sign off number. Make sure you get this even if the customer does sign the paper work. This way Hughes has a record they can view and it will not come back on you. TAG should not have keep you on the phone for that long, usually its 10 minutes top on customer issues. They will instruct you to tell the customer they need to call tech support or the computer manufacture. After I get off the phone with TAG I show the customer I can browse with my computer and show them there is a problem with their computer. Then explain to them you have talked with your tech support and they have concluded its in your system. Some customers understand but every now and then you get a customer that thinks you are there to fix anything. I have had customers want me to set printers up for them, move computers from one room to another, run 2 or 3 lines thoughout the house, etc, etc. Some will refuse to sign the paperwork but that signoff number releases you from the site.

Exactly what Tate said. I run into all sorts with HN and WB. One of the first things I do before an install besides look for LOS is check the customers PC. I have came across customers with a PC with no NIC card, and one time I even went to one job all the customer had was an old 386 running Windows 3.1 not only no nic not even a USB, which would do me no good anyway but, you must check all. Its not like doing a Dishnet install way different. Hell I even, this is no lie, went to do a dish install last year and the customer had two old tube type tv's that worked but no f-connector on tv so old all it had was the two screws for VHF and 2 for UHF, made for twin lead. Luckliy I had some 300 ohm to 75ohm adapts on truck. Anyway you never know what you are going to run into.

Man, that would be something else. This is def. why you as the other two fellas stated, always after LOS check customer's PC. And always.. always have them sign the OK and contract before you start this install!!
(if applicable)
My first bad mistake with a WB install was good LOS, new computer XP operating system got SAT lined up modem downloaded only to find the customer's computer did not have a ethernet connection..... I was stumped! Luckily her husband had not realized this and ran out to the store and actually picked up everything we needed and it took the both of us about 10 minutes to install the new software and equip. If this would have been any other install I would have been in a tight spot! My other big concern is doing the speed tests after provisoning and customer's computer so bogged down from the crap they have running and all the spyware from their lack of knowledge that I get good connections, but still runsssssssss sssssloooooowwwwww because they have know Idea what they're doing nor what's installed on their own PC. You guys know what I mean, you bring up active running processes and they have like 70 running at once.. and takes like 10 minutes between each boot up before you can do anything!@

All of these are reasons I quit doing installs. I had a customer griping at me on a QC because her computer was slow, but her son's laptop was OK. She showed me her computer....

It was a huge, old gateway, the sticker on the front said it came with windows 98.
She was all "we installed a gig of ram." and I am like "lady, that's like putting NOS on a Metro. You are running a 10 year old chipset."

LOL!

Then there are the ones with the routers. I guess it never occurs to people to reset that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Cx computer problems are another avenue for funds...... shouldn't drive u to quit.

In my experience, the vast majority of comp problems can be remedied w/ a memory stick w/ firefox on it. 10% of problems are related to an outdated IE, and 70 % are related to spy/mal/ad/virus disabling attacks on IE.

After investing 300-400 bucks for WB, most cx's are more than willing to dish out $120 - 150 for a clean machine.

Cx computer problems are another avenue for funds...... shouldn't drive u to quit.

In my experience, the vast majority of comp problems can be remedied w/ a memory stick w/ firefox on it. 10% of problems are related to an outdated IE, and 70 % are related to spy/mal/ad/virus disabling attacks on IE.

After investing 300-400 bucks for WB, most cx's are more than willing to dish out $120 - 150 for a clean machine.

You're nuts. Everybody around here wants EVERYTHING for free, because they think it is included in the set up price. :eek:

I had a customer with TVs with dials on them. None of them would pick up channel 3, and I couldn't switch to 4 because some moron decide to take the switch off the back of the box and put it in the menu (WTF is up with that?)...anyway, I was then told that the jackass had found one in the house when he moved in, and the other two he picked up off the curb. :rolleyes: That was a massive waste of time. I was pissed!

Anyway, you can pick up a basic desktop for $200 these days after rebates, so I don't know who would pay $100+ for a computer "cleaning." You can score a fresh Hdd for less than that.

i have run in to the eithernet card problem, but since we also have a radioshack i usually carry a couple cards in the van. my biggest problem right now is the ever dreaded vista. you gotta love this thing, an animal with a mind of it's own.

i have run in to the eithernet card problem, but since we also have a radioshack i usually carry a couple cards in the van. my biggest problem right now is the ever dreaded vista. you gotta love this thing, an animal with a mind of it's own.

I had one with out a card today, charged the guy for the card, and made a few bucks to put it in.
As far as Vista goes.... vista sucks
This is why I ALWAYS have my laptop with me if I am going to do a Wildblue. My laptop has Vista, but I set up an XP partition, just for installing these things. And had to use it today, cause on another job the customers computer kept locking up and crashing....
gotta love computers :)

I had one with out a card today, charged the guy for the card, and made a few bucks to put it in.
As far as Vista goes.... vista sucks
This is why I ALWAYS have my laptop with me if I am going to do a Wildblue. My laptop has Vista, but I set up an XP partition, just for installing these things. And had to use it today, cause on another job the customers computer kept locking up and crashing....
gotta love computers :)

I love vista, took some getting use to but i could not be happier with it.

I haven't dumped Vista yet... in fact, I am still using it as my main os,
in fact, the only real complaint i have about it so far, if that i cant provision wildblue systems easily with it

I'm nuts?
Best Buy is making a fortune tuning up pc's for 120 bucks a pop. The last thing most ppl want to do is learn a new machine, transfer all the data and app's. They just want their machine to work....... 120 bucks is 2 hrs of someone's time. Computer price isn't a factor here