Hughesnet Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
Starting a new thread because we were hijacking this one.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/broadband-forum/88384-opinions-best-satellite-internet-provider-2.html

Will pick up were we left off.

OK themorg I have some pictures below of what I want you to check out on your modem. I have circled the links to hit and what information I need from those links. Here are the addresses to get to theses places.

192.168.0.1/fs/advanced/advanced.html

On the ACP just hit next all the way through and you only have to select automatic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 311
Tate, should warn them : If you cannot pass ACP, they system will not come up at all. May need to be prepared to tune the dish.

Tate, should warn them : If you cannot pass ACP, they system will not come up at all. May need to be prepared to tune the dish.

2 questions.
Can I make the assumption that if my system is currently working, that it should pass ACP in some way?

If I don't pass ACP, will my system stop working?

Thanks!

Tate, am at office today, so will do this in late afternoon or tomorrow morning. Will get you the answers. Thanks for all the help!

OK. Here are the pics of my results. Oh, a speed test too.

Your connection is: 285 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
You downloaded at: 35 kB/s
You are running: 5 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 29.26 second(s)
Member Ident: CompID:612855974
Test Time:: 2007/12/19 - 4:30pm
Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Test ID: HF6RCM80U (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 28.27 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)
This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 11.116 seconds to complete

I'm really wondering, can it be a simple case that the freq I'm xmitting/rcving on has too many customers on it? Is that how it works?

Thanks!

Attachments

• CrossPol.JPG
    CrossPol.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 275
  • Advanced.JPG
    Advanced.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 290
  • System Info.JPG
    System Info.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 267
  • Status.JPG
    Status.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 287
Today's speed test:
Your connection is: 301 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
You downloaded at: 37 kB/s
You are running: 5 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 27.68 second(s)
Member Ident: CompID:6345149983
Test Time:: 2007/12/20 - 2:11pm
Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Test ID: QBH37RTS4 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 29.89 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)
This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 10.526 seconds to complete

Wondering if you have a real high number of tx failures. Click on the tx "button" for that info.

I am glad you passed Xpol, because if you didn't the system will not come back up until you do.

Sorry I have not gotten back on this in the last couple of days. I have been away.

I am fairly confidant most of your problem is coming from the transponder you are on. That one I know is probably over populated. Your signal strength looks ok. Your crosspol should actrually be higher for that transponder. It should hit 95 to 99 constant unless you are up north. Also your EsNo is not the best. The target in your area is 96, it is recommended for maximum performance the final received EsNo should be within 10 points of that. In your case its 65. The EsNo is the amount of power the NOC sees from the transmitter. One problem I think Hughes has made is switching to the 45 watt power supply recently, but none the less that EsNo needs to come up. You might be able to do this with getting the ACP up also. If you are comfortable trying to do this yourself let me know and I will give you some pointers.

Another thing with your transponder "I may be wrong" I do not believe it uses DVB-S2-ACM. This is a new type of modulation that Hughes utilizes for a number of things one being better throughput during peak usage hours. Only the HN brand modems are enabled for this function. So even though you have a HN brand modem it is only working as a DW brand modem. There are a number of transponders on SM5 that uses DVB-S2 so if it does not I would request a change. You can check this by going to the same place you ran the ACP but select the Config Params 2nd one from the bottom. This screen will display all of your modems configuration. About half way in the middle of the page you will see DVB modem. Let me know what that says.

Depending on what might need to be done, I would certainly be willing to give a fix a try myself first. Would it involve repointing the dish? Is there a different transponder we can be on that is less crowded? We are located near San Antonio, TX.

Here is the data from Config Params screen:

LNB 22KHz Switch: Off Off
DVB Mode: DVB-S DVB-S
Frequency Band / Modulation: Ku / BPSK Ku / BPSK
DVB Program Num for User Data: 20500 20500
DVB Program Num for DNCC Data: 0 0

Dirk had asked about txmitter failures:

Number of Successful Transmissions 422305
Number of Failed Transmissions 6278
Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission 144086

Don't know if this is good or bad, but the percentage is low.

Thanks for all your help!!!

I was waiting for a reply from Tate, he may see things I am not? But I do think it is the particular transponder you are on.
Since they left you on a transponder which does not give you the benefit of the new HN7000, I would use that as an argument for changing transponders. You might try this today, maybe you will get someone in a helpfull mood??

Finally getting back here. I do apologize. Here is the deal. Even though you have a HN modem it is only working as a DW modem. Most of the advantages of the HN modem are on Hughes end but if you are on the Pro Plus plan I would personally want every advantage I could get. My opinion. Get off SM5 totally. What part of the country are you in? Also I am assuming you have one of the old dishes. Like the one below minus the outer LNB. I would not hurt to upgrade that also.

Thanks for the response! I am located about 30 miles south of San Antonio. That is a pic of my dish. It was installed back in 2002 when we first moved here.

So what are my options for dishes and satellites?

Thanks for everything!

The current sat your area (and mine) is commissioning to is Horizons 1 (127W) 1170MHz (11K).
The ones I have commissioned on it have been working at or above speed.
You might try to get them to build you as a "new" customer, as in my privious post, to get you on it. Of course that would require a service call to repoint.

Unfortunately, that would also require a DirecTV change for 3 of my receivers. We initially had only the one dish for everything, and a few of my receivers are still on that dish for TV. I've moved 2 of the receivers to our new 5 LNB dish for the HD, so I guess it's time to get the others moved to the new dish as well.

So, do I have to call Hughes first to request the change, and will they coordinate it?

Thanks for everything!

Oh, is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

You will have to call HN and request it. This is probably not going to be easy to say the least. They may try switching to different transponders and see if that helps (and probably would). The one sure way to do it is to call a LOCAL dealer and sign up as a new customer, have them come out and put in the new equipment, commission it, and then call and close your old account. This assumes you are not under any type of fullfillment contract with HN.

OK, the continuing saga.

Unfortunately, I am under a current contract. :(

I have called them, and they are telling me that since I have a signal strength of 85, that they will not switch transponders for me without at least 3 days of speed tests. I did this back in December for them, called back, and was told they couldn't help. Now I call and they are telling me the same thing again. :mad: I am going in circles.

The tech that did our original install says that we need to be switched to 970, instead of 1050. He says that would help a lot, but Hughes won't do it.

How do y'all get to talk with Advanced Tech Support people to get real help? Is there a different phone number to call?

Thanks again for everything!

No different phone # unfortunately. You will have to be persistent, calling as often as you can, using your ticket # each time (don't let them start a new one each time). You might try off times so you may not have to wait so long to talk to someone. Sorry but I must agree HN customer service could make someone go POSTAL............:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts