Cutting 1 Cord???

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
After more than 20 years with Dish, I am considering cutting the cord.
I live in a Mobile Home Park where the lease requires a monthly payment for Cox Cable TV.
Dish just raised my fee again. It just might be the straw that broke the camels back.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Cox Contour DVR? I don't expect it to be equal to the Hopper 3, but is it passable?
I rely on the ability to record almost everything I watch.

Not sure if they still give the mechanical dvr out or if it's all IPTV and cloud dvr now. It's definitely passable. My sister had it for a few years after my family all left Dish for Cox bundles. My dad and I had Tivo's but my sister used the Contour, first the mechanical drive version and then the cloud version. My nephew had the IPTV cloud dvr version of it for a year when he bought his first house before moving to YoutubeTV also.

You can set favorites list, but I don't think you could actually hide any channels. I also could never get the hidden 30sec skip command to take on the remotes, so it was fast forwarding thru commercials for them. The IPTV service and cloud dvr service seemed to be pretty reliable. My sister had to have a couple of the mechanical dvrs replaced. It also has many streaming services like Netflix, Prime and Hulu integrated in the receivers.

Not sure if they still give the mechanical dvr out or if it's all IPTV and cloud dvr now. It's definitely passable. My sister had it for a few years after my family all left Dish for Cox bundles. My dad and I had Tivo's but my sister used the Contour, first the mechanical drive version and then the cloud version. My nephew had the IPTV cloud dvr version of it for a year when he bought his first house before moving to YoutubeTV also.

You can set favorites list, but I don't think you could actually hide any channels. I also could never get the hidden 30sec skip command to take on the remotes, so it was fast forwarding thru commercials for them. The IPTV service and cloud dvr service seemed to be pretty reliable. My sister had to have a couple of the mechanical dvrs replaced. It also has many streaming services like Netflix, Prime and Hulu integrated in the receivers.
The one I am looking seems to have a physical hard disk with 1000 hours of HD recording capacity and 24 tuners. I just thought I might get more accurate and reliable info here rather than from Cox.

Reactions: TheKrell and Jimbo
The one I am looking seems to have a physical hard disk with 1000 hours of HD recording capacity and 24 tuners. I just thought I might get more accurate and reliable info here rather than from Cox.

It's been 2 years, but In Tulsa it was reliable other than the hard drive wearing out requiring a new box, no different than Dish. The OS was pretty snappy and they had access to several streaming services built in. The picture quality was good, however I think Cox followed Comcast and started remuxing all channels to 720p mp4. So I really don't know how good or bad the channels may look now.

If you're having to pay for it anyway, I would definitely try it out. Never hurts to have a backup should another service goes down.

My dad passed away a few months ago, we had already started moving him and my stepmom to a semi assisted living place before his health took a turn for the worse. It provided basic cox cable and a cox mini to everyone. He wanted me to set it up as a backup in case they lost internet and didn't have access to YoutubeTV or the antenna didn't get a good signal. I went ahead and set the Cox up, but didn't get a chance to look at it too much. Picture still looked good on their 75in Sony the last day I was there setting things up, but my stepmom mentally can barely remember how to use the firestick if the tv input gets reset by a power blip or something, so I didn't spend time showing her the Cox remote or how to use it.

Reactions: charlesrshell