Cutting the cord advice

If your going to connect a pc to a tv, then make sure you install Hulu Desktop. It has a desktop icon that connects you directly to Hulu and has a tv friendly (but a bit confusing) interface. And it works fairly well with a WMC remote too. The biggest gripe I have about Hulu Desktop is that it doesn't work with Hulu Plus. I swear, Hulu is the most dysfunctional service I could ever imagine.

If you want ESPN cable/DBS has their hooks in you, you are stuck.

If you can live without ESPN it is pretty easy to cut the cord now.

You could also consider PlayOn, which offers monthly and annual subscriptions. They may still be offering a lifetime deal. Plus: PlayOn offers all the networks, ESPN 3, news channels, etc. Add private channels and the selections become almost uncountable. Downside: PlayOn runs only on PC's, and the PC must be on at all times for your device such as Playstation or XBox to find the server.

The PQ on Playon is awful, though.

Unfortunately since no one box does everything you end up with a bunch of boxes. I have:

1. TiVo OTA
2. Roku Amazon
3. AppleTV
4. Google TV

Essentially everything but live sports can be had.

Just shows how cutting the cord is easy... I have more than enough to watch and I dont know what XMBC, HTPC nor Playon are..

Cheers, K

We have been living quite well for a year now with a reasonable OTA antenna, a TIVO, several Panasonic BluRays with their online connectivity and a ROKU which seldom gets used.

More than enough to keep us entertained, and we can always find archived series we missed the first time through. Currently going through Numbers and Mad Men on netflix.

Unfortunately since no one box does everything you end up with a bunch of boxes. I have:

1. TiVo OTA
2. Roku Amazon
3. AppleTV
4. Google TV

I agree that no one box truly does it all.We have a ota,roku,patriot box office,ps3,and htpc.Also had a wdtv live plus,which is a decent streamer,my daughter ended up with it though.

I have Dish mainly for Sports and a couple of dtvpal dvrs for OTA,wdtv's and htpc for the rest. I'm going to need to upgrade my NAS if I rip much more media to it, but it is the most convenient way to have everything available around the house.

If one really thinks about it there is so many TV/movies in the past that no way one can ever watch them all and catch up.

Unfortunately the way society works is that certain shows/movies are much more important to current conversations.

1. TiVo OTA
2. Roku Amazon
3. AppleTV
4. Google TV

MLB, NBA, and NHL are all available via online subscriptions and can be streamed via various devices like Roku and Boxee.

MLB, NBA, and NHL are all available via online subscriptions and can be streamed via various devices like Roku and Boxee.

If you don't mind watching out of market games only. I use MLB.tv myself to keep up with the whole league but all of those streaming services will black out your home team. That's not really an option for most sports fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Doesn't OTA cover most live sports? At least football, baseball, basketball & hockey?

Doesn't OTA cover most live sports? At least football, baseball, basketball & hockey?

Again, not if you want to watch your home team. You will be covered by OTA for the NFL for the most part. Baseball, basketball, and hockey are usually just once a week and they are a random national game chosen by the network. Some MLB teams have select games OTA locally but you would miss the vast majority. Most teams don't carry any OTA locally.

If you don't mind watching out of market games only. I use MLB.tv myself to keep up with the whole league but all of those streaming services will black out your home team. That's not really an option for most sports fans.

I get all the MLB games, including my hometown teams (all 6 of them) on the Roku, with no blackouts. I even get those games on the PC now. For the rest, you can use a VPN and avoid the blackouts.

Many Saturday games are blacked out (started on or before 1:30pm), due to Fox carrying a game locally. Other games blacked out are ones carried on ESPN or your regional sports channel (ie Sports South), but not always. It weird that the Orioles are blocked totally here in the south, not sure why...can't see the Yankees nor Red Sox games when they play the Orioles. Since we are located in between Braves (4 hr drive) and Nationals (6 hr drive), they are blacked out. I'm a Yankee fan, so it doesn't matter to me:).

I get all the MLB games, including my hometown teams (all 6 of them) on the Roku, with no blackouts. I even get those games on the PC now. For the rest, you can use a VPN and avoid the blackouts.

I haven't had the need for this yet because I get my local team from Dish and I can use sling to watch on my iPad on the go. I use MLB.tv for the rest of the teams though. I am assuming you are spoofing your location to outside the US. I found out how to do that on the PC a few years back but couldn't figure out how to do it at the router level so my streaming devices could take advantage of it.

Does a fake location outside the US cause problems for other services like Netflix, Xbox live, and iTunes? I know most services have different content licensed for different countries and different prices. Does it slow down your Internet connection?

OTA gets me most of the Seahawks, a little Mariners, very little of the Trailblazers (Comcast owns the TV contract and a local channel picks up a few) and no hockey whatsoever (the Pacific Northwet is unclaimed).

I haven't had the need for this yet because I get my local team from Dish and I can use sling to watch on my iPad on the go. I use MLB.tv for the rest of the teams though. I am assuming you are spoofing your location to outside the US. I found out how to do that on the PC a few years back but couldn't figure out how to do it at the router level so my streaming devices could take advantage of it.

Does a fake location outside the US cause problems for other services like Netflix, Xbox live, and iTunes? I know most services have different content licensed for different countries and different prices. Does it slow down your Internet connection?

I'm not spoofing anything. I get all the MLB games, including home teams, via the Roku, and have for a few years now. The Saturday FOX national games, and the ESPN Sunday night game are blacked out, of course, but I get the rest. This should be the same for everyone via the Roku box. I'm doing nothing to spoof my location at all. I used to use a VPN to watch on the PC but, starting this season, I've been able to watch any game on the computer without it, except FOX and ESPN, of course.

I'm not spoofing anything. I get all the MLB games, including home teams, via the Roku, and have for a few years now. The Saturday FOX national games, and the ESPN Sunday night game are blacked out, of course, but I get the rest. This should be the same for everyone via the Roku box. I'm doing nothing to spoof my location at all. I used to use a VPN to watch on the PC but, starting this season, I've been able to watch any game on the computer without it, except FOX and ESPN, of course.

That's not how it's supposed to work. My Roku and Apple TV black out the Tigers games. Whatever teams claim you as their territory are supposed to be blacked out on MLB.tv and Extra Innings. Consider yourself lucky. That's not how it works for most people. They use your IP address to figure out which games to black out.

That's not how it's supposed to work. My Roku and Apple TV black out the Tigers games. Whatever teams claim you as their territory are supposed to be blacked out on MLB.tv and Extra Innings. Consider yourself lucky. That's not how it works for most people. They use your IP address to figure out which games to black out.

It's the same for two of my friends who have the service, so I don't know what to tell you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)