Cutting the cord advice

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im curious, and not sure if there is a site for locating this info. I have a PS3 and the Amazon/Netflix apps, also am a Netflix streaming and Prime customer. Was thinking of adding Hulu Plus too.

Big 5
CW, ABC, NBC and Fox seem to be on Hulu plus
CBS - I cant find it anywhere streaming, but doesnt surprise me

Cable Networks I Watch
Discovery
Fx
USA
Syfy
Nat Geo
A&E
History
AMC
BBC
and then Premiums

I just dont think there is anyway to cut the cord for me and see what I want to see. I notice Netflix has Sons of Anarchy up to 2011, Im guessing they will add the 2012 Season near the start of 2013's season? So you have to stay behind. Its hard to tell at times what Hulu Plus has because they list a show, then you look at its just clips, which is quite dumb.

Is OTA possible in your area? That with a TiVo would solve your big 5 issues plus you can skip commercials on TiVo...

Netflix remains a year behind. But, if there are some shows you have to keep up with you can buy them on Amazon and/or iTunes. It is cheaper than you think because most cable shows only have 10-16 episodes a year, so $30-$45 for HD versions. If you compare $80 bucks a month for cable/satellite you could buy a lot of shows that you "had to have", and save money if you wait until netflix gets them.

Amazon Prime also carries a lot of TV shows (a year late too).

I was just noticing the TiVo is $150, not bad and yes I do have OTA.

Becoming a year behind is not a big deal on the tv shows, first year would drag but I already have plenty to watch. Im seriously considering TiVo, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu plus.

You have to go to CBS.com for most of CBS's stuff. They have a new deal with Hulu to start showing some archived shows, but nothing the day after like with the other broadcast nets.

ESPN is still a biggie for us too. I may just go the Top 120 pack for $49 a month, keep Netflix, already have Amazon Prime, and then get the BBC iPlayer for the PS3. BBC is the only channel I care about losing from Top 250 to Top 120.

I just dont think there is anyway to cut the cord for me and see what I want to see.
You can't have it both ways. You either assemble your own material as it becomes available or you subscribe to linear programming.

It is folly to assume that cord cutting comes without significant compromise of convenience and availability.

ESPN is still a biggie for us too. I may just go the Top 120 pack for $49 a month, keep Netflix, already have Amazon Prime, and then get the BBC iPlayer for the PS3. BBC is the only channel I care about losing from Top 250 to Top 120.

Is that a PS3 app for BBC America or the UK BBC iplayer. I have a UK vpn to access the BBC iplayer as it is geo locked to UK ip's

I cut the cord years ago. The key is a computer hooked to your tv. I have a shelf over the lcd tv with a simple vga/sound cord to my laptop. Hulu free will get you almost all of the networks including some Syfy and History shows. CBS.com rounds out the selection. Hulu and CBS will give you most of the new shows the next day. Add a netflix subscription and you have a lot to watch all for less than ten bucks a month.

I've done a Hulu plus trial and was really, really unimpressed. Hulu free will usually give you the last four weeks of episodes within a week after they air. Heck some shows aren't available on Hulu Plus but are available on your tv, with a computer hooked to your tv, without a paid subscription.

Skip Hulu Plus..I didn't think it was worth it. We have an antenna on the roof giving me about 40 channels, Netflix, and a smart tv hooked to the internet. I still watch some stuff on my FTA dishes. Our family likes the networks you mentioned but there's no easy way around it to get those channels. Some older stuff does show up on You Tube...History, Nat Geo etc...not the latest shows by far but ok to watch. If you want to cut the cord totally it will probably take some major getting used too. I usually check the network websites for episodes too. Thankfully I can't think of anything I watch on CBS as some of their episodes are hard to find later.

Is that a PS3 app for BBC America or the UK BBC iplayer. I have a UK vpn to access the BBC iplayer as it is geo locked to UK ip's

iPlayer for PS3. Im gonna check it out tonight. I can go from top 250 to top 120, and just grab my few BBC shows from another source :)

I cut the cord years ago. The key is a computer hooked to your tv. I have a shelf over the lcd tv with a simple vga/sound cord to my laptop. Hulu free will get you almost all of the networks including some Syfy and History shows. CBS.com rounds out the selection. Hulu and CBS will give you most of the new shows the next day. Add a netflix subscription and you have a lot to watch all for less than ten bucks a month.

I've done a Hulu plus trial and was really, really unimpressed. Hulu free will usually give you the last four weeks of episodes within a week after they air. Heck some shows aren't available on Hulu Plus but are available on your tv, with a computer hooked to your tv, without a paid subscription.

Yeah, more I look at Hulu its not as convenient as you would think. I really like what all this PS3 opens up as I look into apps, especially Netflix and Vudu.

good start

I cut the cord years ago. The key is a computer hooked to your tv. I have a shelf over the lcd tv with a simple vga/sound cord to my laptop. Hulu free will get you almost all of the networks including some Syfy and History shows. CBS.com rounds out the selection. Hulu and CBS will give you most of the new shows the next day. Add a netflix subscription and you have a lot to watch all for less than ten bucks a month. I've done a Hulu plus trial and was really, really unimpressed. Hulu free will usually give you the last four weeks of episodes within a week after they air. Heck some shows aren't available on Hulu Plus but are available on your tv, with a computer hooked to your tv, without a paid subscription.
That's a good first step but a dedicated HTPC with an HDMI out running XBMC media center software and a $20 USB remote and you will never miss cable. XBMC lets you access all the most popular sites and services from 1 interface with a simple remote. It doesn't need to be a particularly fast computer either, I got a cheap emachines refurb for $240 that works great. www.xbmchub.com for more info

We use to be big TV watchers and we cut the cord because the price didnt justfy the quality/quantity.

The irony is w/ Netfix, Hulu Plus, OTA, FTA and a couple of purchased episodes on Vudu per month (ie- Game of Thrones), we actually
have a lot more to watch now than before.

When streaming, we tend to forget its actually 'streaming' and not from a provider because the images are in HD and flawless.

Cheers, K

You could also consider PlayOn, which offers monthly and annual subscriptions. They may still be offering a lifetime deal. Plus: PlayOn offers all the networks, ESPN 3, news channels, etc. Add private channels and the selections become almost uncountable. Downside: PlayOn runs only on PC's, and the PC must be on at all times for your device such as Playstation or XBox to find the server.

Yeah I forgot about XBMC. I've loaded all my standard definition Dvd's on my Htpc as well as several other shows and movies etc...When I get bored I find something on it I forgot to watch, all in one place. I figure I've got about 400 programs, movies etc on it. Since it's attached to a 2Tb drive I've got plenty of room left to add more.

I just bought these for each of the TVs in my house:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dc3217iye.html

dc3217iye_family.jpg.rendition.cq5dam.thumbnail.310.155.png

Added 8GB RAM and 128GB mSATA drives, running Windows 7 Media Center. Less than $500 each. Ultra quiet! It even comes with a VESA mount

So far, Im very happy with them. I wanted Windows PCs on each TV as I plan on dropping Dish for the summer, then when the new SiliconDust 4-tuner HDHomeRun Prime comes out, subscribe to FiOS with a single CableCard. Right now, I'm using two HDHomeRuns for OTA.

I tried out XBMC, but I couldnt get the Live TV stuff working reliably. WMC it is!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)