Cw Hd?

Arthope

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
Any news on when or if Dish will be offering WB/UPN as locals in the New York area? I understand that the two will merge by fall and be CW; I guess Dish will wait till then to make a move. Anyway, this would make a decent additional HD offering.

Last edited:
I suspect they will offer more stations in HD once they get MPEG-4 encoders that can handle the load. Right now MPEG-4 real time encoders are new and not very good. They are only able to put 4 channels on a single transponder. I suspect the eventual goal is 6 channels/TP.

the number of HD hours of UPN and WB pale in comparison to ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX, which is probably why they don't care about carrying them

What is CW? All I can think of is Continuous Wave (Morse Code):confused:

First of all, WB has plenty of HD. You're right that UPN has little. Since CBS is a HD leader (too bad I watch NOTHING on CBS), I would guess that CW will carry a majority of their programming in HD. Also, it appears that in most cities, the WB affiliate will be switching CW, and in most cases the WB affiliates are better equipped- many UPN affiliates don't even have HD capability. WB fought their way up to where Fox was 5 or 6 years ago, but UPN never really got out of the starting block.

If you look at the channel spacing on the current HD-LILs, there are 6 channels allocated for each city. They channels were mapped right before the CW plans were made public. My guess is the eventual plans are to add CW and PBS.