CW in HD but not showing in HD.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
In my market The CW is a sub-channel off of our CBS affiliate.
DirecTV does offer our locals in HD, and when The CW went HD last June it wasn't offered in HD (only the SD feed).
However, the OTA is in 720p HD and the AM21 does have it in the database.
I don't see a lot of difference with our CBS in 1080i now that The CW is a sub-channel in 720p.
There may be some degrading, but then I use NYC CBS for most recording.

DirecTV charges us a lot of money. You'd think they could bother to keep the AM21 database up-to-date. After all, they sold them to us so we could access programming they choose not to broadcast. How much trouble would it be?

An AM21 is a separate Directv receiver that connects to your main receiver via USB. It has an antenna input and will add OTA channels to your Directv guide. Most receivers will only see what is in the Directv locals database, which hasn't been updated in a long time. Thus, it is missing some subchannels in many markets. If you have an HR34 receiver, it will add all local channels to the guide by actually scanning via the antenna, but only have guide data for those in the database.
How much is this AM21? It sounds like something that I would like depending on how much it is and if they charge you monthly for it.

$50 + shipping directly through Directv
no other fees

As an option that a lot of people forget.. if you have an antenna, you can connect it directly to your TV and just change the TV's input to the Tuner to watch OTA channels.. Saves 50 bucks..
If you need it, you can program the direcTV remote to change your TV's input setting pretty easily.. just slide the switch at the top to the right (to "TV") then press and hold the mute and select buttons until the light on the remote flashes twice (takes about 3 or 4 seconds) then press 9,6, 0). then slide the switch at the top back to the left. Thats it. The TV Input button on the top left corner of the remote should work now.
You wont be able to use the DirecTV equipment with the OTA channels, but its an option for watching them.
Ice? Does the AM21 allow you to record the OTA channels, even if they arent in the database? Also, can you schedule recordings (also if they arent in the DB)? Never been real clear on that.

Ice? Does the AM21 allow you to record the OTA channels, even if they arent in the database? Also, can you schedule recordings (also if they arent in the DB)? Never been real clear on that.
If you have a HR34 and it "scans" in the channels, you can set manual timers. I did that for the "MeTV" affiliate here in Minneapolis (5-3)
you can't record on the fly as there is no guide data (as in you see a program you're watching and hit record)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)