D* DVR Programming Guides and Search Engines

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Seed

Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hello,

I upgraded last week from the HR250 DVR to the HR20 DVR and am quite disappointed in the new DVRs programming search engines for movies and TV shows. I know a lot of people feel the same way since we have been used to the Tivo search engines in the older DVRs - we used to be able to search by many more methods than we can with the HR20 and we could save those searches in a wish list.

Does anyone know if D* plans on upgrading their search tools on their HR 20 DVRs?

Hello,

I upgraded last week from the HR250 DVR to the HR20 DVR and am quite disappointed in the new DVRs programming search engines for movies and TV shows. I know a lot of people feel the same way since we have been used to the Tivo search engines in the older DVRs - we used to be able to search by many more methods than we can with the HR20 and we could save those searches in a wish list.

Does anyone know if D* plans on upgrading their search tools on their HR 20 DVRs?

I refuse to answer this as I don't feel like getting yelled at...

Investigation

Hi there,

I can see that your name may fit you well and understand why you thought you might get yelled at. :)

Let me ask you this. Did you own or do you own the HR10-250? If you did, then you would know that you could save your searches in a wishlist. The HR 20 only keps your latest searches and you cannot save them. If you did, then you know that you could look up a movie by the year it was made. For example, you could look up movies made in the 30's, 40's or 50's..etc. I have tried this by several methods on the HR20 and all I can get are the keywords "40's" or whatever, in the description, but not the timeframe when the movie was made. There were also subject categories by which you could do a search on the HR250, but I have to type in a keyword or a name to get into those categories on the HR20. When you do a search on the HR250, you could do a direct search by movie or TV show category from the main search menu.

The HR20 cannot do those things from the search mode.

If you have done a thorough investigation yourself that indicates that that the HR20 can do these things as described above, then please let me know. I am open to your suggestions.

Hi there,

I can see that your name may fit you well and understand why you thought you might get yelled at. :)

Let me ask you this. Did you own or do you own the HR10-250? If you did, then you would know that you could save your searches in a wishlist. The HR 20 only keps your latest searches and you cannot save them. If you did, then you know that you could look up a movie by the year it was made. For example, you could look up movies made in the 30's, 40's or 50's..etc. I have tried this by several methods on the HR20 and all I can get are the keywords "40's" or whatever, in the description, but not the timeframe when the movie was made. There were also subject categories by which you could do a search on the HR250, but I have to type in a keyword or a name to get into those categories on the HR20. When you do a search on the HR250, you could do a direct search by movie or TV show category from the main search menu.

The HR20 cannot do those things from the search mode.

If you have done a thorough investigation yourself that indicates that that the HR20 can do these things as described above, then please let me know. I am open to your suggestions.

Nope, I cannot say that the HR20 will do all that you mentioned in your search description.
I never use the search, I guess I shouldn't say never, I have from time to time, but as I have told my parents, with D*'s guide (1000 times better than the local cable they use to have. With all the channels available it 's better to know what you want to watch, than scroll thru the channels, by the time they find what they want, it's over...

Seed,
I don't have a HR10-250, thought seriously about buying one back when they were about $ 750. and decided to NOT .

The reason I mentioned that I did not want to get yelled at is because I am tired of all the people living in thier TIVO based units, they won't work for much soon, and NON TIVO people don't seem to have this much trouble getting use to it, it's a change of course, but it is the way the product line has gone, so people may as well get use to the new stuff.

MOST like it very well once they take the time to get use to it, even TIVO users .....

Jimbo

I have HR10s Seed and HR20s and you are right on this one. If there was one thing on my wish list that I could bring from the Tivo to the HR20 it would be the "Wish List". I really miss this function because searching with the old Tivo doesn't find the content on the new channels. On the Tivo I still go through all of the items in my wish list once a week to see if any will be showing. Other than that the HR20s are beautiful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)