D* Future Question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
I want to forward a "concern" I got from a member at another forum:

"Our family, like yours, is really looking forward to DirecTV launching new sats with more HD. My only reservation is The Perfect Vision's cautionary revelation that when all of the new sats are up, we will need a five LNB dish and D* will have to go to a new compression scheme, like, for instance, WM 10. This would render obsolete all of our D* equipment, including my prized $1,000 HD TiVo. This would make me very upset, alas."

I remember reading here about later on we might have a dish w/5LNB's, but is his concern about our bought D* equipment going to be obsolete due to possible different compression? I think there is discussion of MPEG4, but I'd like to hear the gurus thoughts on this. Thanks &

Merry Christmas

Barney

bump...89 views.....is my Sony HD300 obsolete by the end of next year after a couple more "birds" go up....one this Spring? I understand D* doesn't make an anouncement till its working.......when "its" working...any surprises, like "Oh, theres 50 HD channels but you need to buy a new dish w/? LNB's and both your STB's cannot receive the channels.."? Just wondering....

Barney

DISH has been very good about charging customers to upgrade their equipment. Historicall Directv has provided lowcost or no cost upgrades for their customers that need different equipment. Look at the 72.5 satellite for an example of Directvs policy. Free upgrades and free installs.

DirecTV's free "upgrade" and free equipment comes along with another 12 month commitment. That's what makes it "free". Dish is the same way when they come out with a new dish for locals. It's "free" with a new 12 month commitment. As always, when it says "free" read the fine print.

If your receivers do become obsolete, DirecTV will upgrade them for nothing. They have done it every time in the past, and I can't see why they wouldn't do it again.

mini1 said:
If your receivers do become obsolete, DirecTV will upgrade them for nothing. They have done it every time in the past, and I can't see why they wouldn't do it again.

100% correct.

And yes, DIRECTV will request a 12 month commitment. However, I assume almost everyone would not have any problem with agreeing to keep DIRECTV with even better services for another 12 months.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)