D* HD Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

voominla

Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
I currently have D* with TIVO and one additional receiver. I am getting the HD recevier and OTA from D* installed on Friday. I currently have the 2 cables from the dish into a multiplexer and then out to the receivers.

I was told that for the new mutli-satellite dish that all 4 cables from the dish's multiplexer will need to be run in order for me to receive channels from all satellites.

Is this the case will I indeed have to have 2 more cables run to my existing mutliplexer or can the 2 existing ones just be used?

From what I can tell the HD recevier has just one satellite IN and one for the OTA antenna - so why are all 4 cables necessary?

Mark

The new multisats have a multiswitch built in to the lnb,so it would not work right if you ran two cables out of that multiswitch into another multiswitch,you need to bypass your exsisting one and have four cables off the dish.If you needed more receivers than that you would have to use a powered 4 x 8 multiswith wich is specificly designed for the multisatellite.

Does the OTA signal get passed thru on these cables also?

I was hoping to avoid more cable running into my unit, but it sounds like there is no way to avoid it.

Mark

lurch said:
The new multisats have a multiswitch built in to the lnb,so it would not work right if you ran two cables out of that multiswitch into another multiswitch,you need to bypass your exsisting one and have four cables off the dish.If you needed more receivers than that you would have to use a powered 4 x 8 multiswith wich is specificly designed for the multisatellite.

voominla said:
Does the OTA signal get passed thru on these cables also?

I was hoping to avoid more cable running into my unit, but it sounds like there is no way to avoid it.

Mark

The OTA signal from your roof antenna will go to a diplexer connected to the satellite lines on the roof, run down to your unit, then diplex out of the satellite line and into your OTA input on your HD receiver. There is no need to run another line directly from your OTA antenna to your system. Although, I did and got a lot more HD channels than using the diplexer. :shocked

I would suggest doing it right the first time, run another line for your OTA HD channels. It was worth it to me! ;)

I was hoping to avoid more cables - argh!

Sounds like I have no choice in the matter.

Mark

yeah,the best way would be to run all 5 lines instead of diplexing one,Ive seen alot of problems in the field with diplexers and hd channels

I told my landlord there wouldn't be any more cables run - oh well. Guess I was wrong.

When I had my D* installed back in June he did not do a great job.

Is there no way to somehow combine into one or 2 cables or will that cost me in signal strength?

Mark

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)