Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Washington, D.C. (September 22, 2006) -- Yes, DIRECTV has less HD channels than EchoStar, but a number of the E* channels are “specialty channels” that do not cater to mainstream viewers.

Second, while the number of national HD channels could and probably should be increased on D*, the reality is that the actual amount of HD programming available is far more than the “9 channels” that readers are led to believe in this article. I personally watch 70% of my HD content on ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC – not just ESPN, Discovery, HDNet, etc. It’s not just about the number of channels; it’s about the content available.

Third, there are only about 4-5 other national HD channels that contain “mainstream” content – and these will most likely appear on D* some time in the next 9-12 months. Would it be nice to get them now? Yes. Will we all somehow survive to wait a bit longer to get them – yes.

4. The 'HD Lite' issue (alleged poor picture quality) is not unique to D*, but also has been experienced from EchoStar and cable providers as well. I suspect this issue will go away within the next year as bandwidth becomes expanded at various providers. The frivolous lawsuit (See Related Links) filed will most likely be shelved by the courts, as no mandated statue exists for what constitutes HD.

As a reader of over 15 daily message boards on this topic, I see that there are some 50-75 vocal advocates who complain at every turn that their HD offering doesn’t meet their personal needs or isn’t up to their standards. These folks frequently all show their “it’s all about me” attitudes towards expectations.

The fact that there are over 15 million subscribers (and growing of D* service, as well as just under 1 million HD customers, shows mainstream American does not share the fear.

I do not work for, nor have anyone in my family working for DIRECTV. I just feel that a few vocal whiners are distorting the picture – I’ll call it 'Complaint Lite.'

Peter Radike is a HD Observer for TVPredictions.com.
If you would like to be a HD Observer for TVPredictions.com, send an e-mail to: swann@TVPredictions.com

Tom,

Finally someone comes out and tells everyone how it is. I agree with you 100%. I to watch over 70% of my HD content on the local channels.

Don't fool yourself....HD Lite isn't going away. It's only a matter of time before it's everywhere, DirecTV paved the way for HD Lite and the rest of the providers followed. The typical HD user doesn't know what HD Lite is and probably doesn't care...they are just happy to be watching something better than SD. Heck... the probably don't know the difference between 720p, 1080i, or 1080p...just like how the salesman wanted to sell me REAL HDTV that was 1080p. He claimed all the channels were 1080p but were being downconverted for my 1080i/720p TV. He didn't understand when I told him the providers are having a tough time even giving us 1920x1080i.

Secondly....the funny part is. I get my networks ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS all in HD without a satellite dish or cable provider.

Tom Bombadil said:
Washington, D.C. (September 22, 2006) -- Yes, DIRECTV has less HD channels than EchoStar, but a number of the E* channels are “specialty channels” that do not cater to mainstream viewers.

Second, while the number of national HD channels could and probably should be increased on D*, the reality is that the actual amount of HD programming available is far more than the “9 channels” that readers are led to believe in this article. I personally watch 70% of my HD content on ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC – not just ESPN, Discovery, HDNet, etc. It’s not just about the number of channels; it’s about the content available.

Third, there are only about 4-5 other national HD channels that contain “mainstream” content – and these will most likely appear on D* some time in the next 9-12 months. Would it be nice to get them now? Yes. Will we all somehow survive to wait a bit longer to get them – yes.

4. The 'HD Lite' issue (alleged poor picture quality) is not unique to D*, but also has been experienced from EchoStar and cable providers as well. I suspect this issue will go away within the next year as bandwidth becomes expanded at various providers. The frivolous lawsuit (See Related Links) filed will most likely be shelved by the courts, as no mandated statue exists for what constitutes HD.

As a reader of over 15 daily message boards on this topic, I see that there are some 50-75 vocal advocates who complain at every turn that their HD offering doesn’t meet their personal needs or isn’t up to their standards. These folks frequently all show their “it’s all about me” attitudes towards expectations.

The fact that there are over 15 million subscribers (and growing of D* service, as well as just under 1 million HD customers, shows mainstream American does not share the fear.

I do not work for, nor have anyone in my family working for DIRECTV. I just feel that a few vocal whiners are distorting the picture – I’ll call it 'Complaint Lite.'

If you would like to be a HD Observer for TVPredictions.com, send an e-mail to: swann@TVPredictions.com

where is the link?

Here's the funny part... J6P goes to the store and buys the cheap plasma TV (480p native rez) at a price of around $1,500. Places the Plasma on his business and feeds a composite signal to it. He complaints that the Plasma is WideScreen but he is only watching it 4x3. Someone says here press the Zoom Button. J6p is now satisfied to see that the 4x3 signal is in widescreen even though the people are so stretch that are fat as held and all cropped. But J6P is ignorant about it and swears to me that he is watching HD on a plasma that is connected to composite and it zoom and cropping the 4x3 SD signal. I watched laughed and left.

This is a true story at a Barber Store that I went today. The guy just bought a cheap plasma tv and was showing it off like it was the greatest thing since color Tv. He was quite proud of the cropped SD picture. As more people get their cheap plasma, it looks like they will be even satisfied with SD cropped and say that is HD. :eek:

vurbano said:
OMG P. Radike = Pradike!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We know all about that idiot!
This is really a sad state of affairs.

Someone has to stand up to your tactics and say it - I'm sure you're response will be further insults and flaming - it's what you do. Many of us here would welcome positive and useful insights - forget the insults and constant negativity.

Isn't it interesting how anytime someone posts anything you disagree with, you have to resort to childish insults? No - its actually not, it's grossly pathetic. It is also appears to be your standard operating procedure - insult anyone if their view is not consistent with your own opinion. I see that same thing when bully little kids are on on the playground, so that must be where the concept comes from.

There are several posts on the "opposing view" on the multiple HD Observer articles which raise good points, but clearly differ from your views on satellite TV providers. That's why we have a free country - to talk about more than one dictatorial view.

The fact that your only retorts (on numerous occasions) to anyone who disagrees to your opinion are insults, misrepresentations, and hateful remarks indicates that you have some serious issues.

Many of us are here for information, not your running monologue of ruthless verbal attacks. If you think you're comments are either funny or cute, you are sadly mistaking. It also voids any credibility YOU would ever have.

I have seen you post several useful and informative bits of information from time to time, and on the same day brutally verbally assault others. We welcome any useful information you wish to share, but would welcome the termination of your insults. It's amazing how much the moderators here let you get away with - on many other boards, you're access would have been toast.

Many of us happen to agree with Mr. Radike's and Mr. Chasse's posted views for the most part. Our glass is 3/4 full, while others apparently don't even have a glass.:rolleyes: You can agree or disagree all you want - its a free country - just please try to do it with some dignity.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with all he wrote, I certainly don't watch the locals very much b/c I find little on the networks that I care to watch.

But I did see something in there that's worth thinking about: stuff changes over time.

The key here is that many providers are calling HD-Lite a compromise that allows more channels at a cost of PQ. In a civil jury trial, it's tough to beat that argument... if the suit were in-court tomorrow.

In reality it won't see a courtroom or a jury for at least a year (if ever). By then the technical landscape will have changed. D* will have more birds in the sky, more channels online, and who knows what else. By that time the lawsuit will probably be dismissed b/c the situation will have changed so much that it no longer applies.

The HD-Lite debate, IMO, has really gotten tedious. There are some evangelists who cry out loud and hard at every turn, and so far all they've gotten is a lawsuit with little chance of winning. Give it a rest. Kick back, crack a beer, and try to enjoy what you've got.

Tom Bombadil said:

Let's see how many customers DTV would have if they lost the NFL ST monopoly. I have to put up with the DTV picture because I cannot watch my football team with another provider.

frny said:
Let's see how many customers DTV would have if they lost the NFL ST monopoly. I have to put up with the DTV picture because I cannot watch my football team with another provider.
Irrelevant & hypothetical, as D* has the contract for a number of years yet. What will drive those whiners who always want more to actually see more from D* is added bandwidth and less compression - simple as that.

Tom Bombadil said:

How about changing the logon to Tom Bombashill, :D :D
BTW I can watch NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX AND CW HD without either D* or E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)