D* HD vs. Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spiderg8r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
I hope I didn't just make a 24 month mistake. I just got d* installed and when comparing cable HD with d* HD, both through HDMI and all settings the same, Cable is clearly superior. Is there a chance of this improving?

Not only that, I just noticed that my comcast just added HGTV and FOOD HD. Buyers Remorse.

What type of HD were you viewing on D*? Was it HDLIL or mpeg2 broadcasting? It is generally expected that D*'s HD quality will improve when they light off the D10 sat in the middle of next month.

So your choices are to wait the three weeks and see what happens or switch back to cable and possibly pay an early termination fee.

Oh, and if you take a look at this thread, it shows that D* may be adding those two channels in HD also.

DirecTV Confirms 2007 HD channel additions. - Page 30 - AVS Forum

It must be all mpeg2 - i'll compare locals tonight - are there any current mpeg4 channels besides locals?

There may (or may not) be one or two HD regional sports networks available in your area. These would also be MPEG4.

Not only that, I just noticed that my comcast just added HGTV and FOOD HD. Buyers Remorse.

Directv will also carry those channels plus a few more within the next month. :D

Take a look at your locals tonight (if you get them via Directv HD) and you will notice a huge improvement.

I definately see the difference with the mpeg4 local channels. They are as good as OTA and cable. Too bad it appears that many key hd channels will continue to be sent in mpeg2.

Oh and I'm going under the assumption that the jacksonville, fl locals are mpeg4 - does anyone know? If not, all the differences I'm seeing must be a figment of my imagination.

Thanks again for the help, great forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)