D* installed a OTA for me over the weekend. I've got a ? about reception.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdbrad

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
As the topic says.........DirecTV installed a OTA for me along with their own HD dish and receiver/dvr over the weekend. I'm in Southern California and my "locals" are:

CBS (2)
NBC (4)
WB (5)
ABC (7)
KCAL (9)
FOX (11)
UPN (13)

My OTA picks up 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, and 9-1. But, I can't get a OTA signal for ABC, FOX, or UPN. Any suggestions?

Note: The D* installer said I was lucky to get what I was receiving because of "all the foothills" around my area (south orange county).

Thanks!

Tell us your zip code and we can give you a more informed response. Also describe the antenna that was provided.

Jim5506 said:
Tell us your zip code and we can give you a more informed response. Also describe the antenna that was provided.

My zipcode is 92694.

I'll have to look at the box for the OTA when I get home. I know it was approx. the same size as the 3 LNB dish.

Thanks!

mdbrad said:
Note: The D* installer said I was lucky to get what I was receiving because of "all the foothills" around my area (south orange county).

Thanks!

Well... that is a known fact... hills play havoc with OTA signals.

You are on the fringe of reception from Mt Wilson (50+ miles @ 319 degrees). All your digitals are UHF now but many of them probably will revert to their VHF frequency by 2/2009 because 2.1 (60), 7.1 (53) , 11.1 (65) and 13.1 (66) are ALL in the UHF frequencies being abandoned.

For now I would get a Channel Master 4228 with a CM7777 pre-amp and mount it above your roofline (higher is better). Later (~2/2009) you may have to add a fringe VHF antenna to receive the channels that move. the CM7777 will accomodate both antennas.

Being just over 50 miles from the Mt. Wilson transmitters and about 70 miles from San Diego, you might consider a rotator to swing around south to get San Diego, if you like to experiment.

Jim5506 said:

Sorry it took so long to get the antenna info.......I've been traveling on business.

So, the box for the OTA that DirecTV installed says the following:

Pro Band International, Inc.
Eagle Aspen (www.eagleaspen.com)
UHF Television Antenna For Digital & Analog Reception
Receives all UHF Channels (14-69)
HDTV Compatable
Model: DTV2BUHF (UHF Balun Included)

As mentioned in my earlier post (above)......I only get a few of my "locals". Also, last night I was watching a few of them (my locals) and some appeared a little blurry and the pic was a bit red (although the color on my other channels looks fine).

Considering my location (Ladera Ranch, CA 92694)....should I be getting more channels and/or better reception?

According to www.antennaweb.org you are about 50 miles SE of the Los Angeles towers on Mt. Wilson.

The little 2 bay bow tie UHF antenna is way too weak to get you a really good signal.

I'd recommend you get a Channel master 4228 which is an 8 bay UHF bow tie antenna.

You also need to be aware that some of the LA UHF channels are above channel 52 and they will be moving , possibly to a VHF frequency, when the digital change over is finalized in 2009.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)