D* Local HD Harrisburg, PA - screw up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mocco71

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
The Harrisburg, PA area was to have local HD by year-end. Ok, so it didn't happen and I have been told it would be the end of February (I am not going to hold my breath). Being right in the middle of the DMA, no chance of a waiver for the NY HD feed, but I do get some OTA. Here is where it gets interesting, friend subscribes in the same DMA, only 10 miles away and D* gives him the NY Fox HD (of course, this is one of the channels I don't get OTA). I call D* and they refused and said that the friend probably lived outside the area. Well, not only is he in the area, he is actually closer to the Fox affiliate's tower!!

How screwed up is that!

Checking D*'s website, I don't see why your friend gets the Fox hd feed.

Distance, as far as DirecTV is concerned, is of no matter to them. You could be right next door to the tower or 500 miles away, but they would still only be able to do what they are instructed to do. Seems the predictive contour that DirecTV is PROVIDED - one zip is good to go and one is not; it really is simple to see why DirecTV said what they did. According to the info sent to them, based on zip codes, they are required to enforce rules handed down to them. You can request for a signal test to be done, but you best be 110% sure you will be proved correct; or you will be paying.

Eligibilty review for the following:
DILLSBURG, PA 17019
Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Status
ABC WMAR-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
WHTM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
CBS WHP-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX Eligible
NBC WGAL-DT Grade A (strong signal)

CAMP HILL, PA 17011

Network Affiliate Status
ABC WHTM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX WPMT-DT Grade B (moderate signal)

Last edited:
Distance, as far as DirecTV is concerned, is of no matter to them. You could be right next door to the tower or 500 miles away, but they would still only be able to do what they are instructed to do. Seems the predictive contour that DirecTV is PROVIDED - one zip is good to go and one is not; it really is simple to see why DirecTV said what they did. According to the info sent to them, based on zip codes, they are required to enforce rules handed down to them. You can request for a signal test to be done, but you best be 110% sure you will be proved correct; or you will be paying.

DILLSBURG, PA 17019

Network Affiliate Status
ABC WMAR-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
WHTM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX Eligible

CAMP HILL, PA 17011

Network Affiliate Status
ABC WHTM-DT Grade A (strong signal)
FOX WPMT-DT Grade B (moderate signal)

Thank you for the information. Where on earth did you find this information? The grades are a bit confusing because the NBC affiliate is the furtherest away and it says strong signal. I don't get Fox or NBC OTA at all.

What do you mean with requesting a signal test? All I know is that the 17019 zip is in York County and that is where the Fox affiliate is located. I am in a neighboring county and it says "moderate signal"? How can that be?

Thank you for the information. Where on earth did you find this information?

It is on the DirecTV website.

The grades are a bit confusing because the NBC affiliate is the furtherest away and it says strong signal. I don't get Fox or NBC OTA at all.

Distance is not the only factor. Not all affiliates transmit at the same power level; some may be way lower or higher than others. Topography can also come into play. Along with the quality of your OTA setup.

What do you mean with requesting a signal test?

This is where a pro needs to step in a help; but if you are sure you can't get decent OTA signal, there is a process by which you you can request waivers, if denied, you can the request that a signal test be done to prove you are correct. If memory serves me correct, it will all be based on analog signal strengths.

All I know is that the 17019 zip is in York County and that is where the Fox affiliate is located. I am in a neighboring county and it says "moderate signal"? How can that be?

See above.

Thank you very much for your help. When it's in black and white, I understand. However, from a logical standpoint, I can't figure out how that one network slips through the cracks in this instance. Knowing the topography and distances, it is hard to believe that a few miles to the south (closer to the tower) would give me elibility. I just spent 20 minutes plugging in different addresses and it amazes me what qualifies and what does not.

Again - I really appreciate your help -

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts