D* making up blackout rules again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trainnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I live in zip 16727 and D* has blacked out the Mets/Phillies game for me. I live in the Pirates market, why is ESPN blacked out????

The Indians and Pirates have territorial rights in my area, neither the Phillies or the Mets.

Trainnut, have you looked up the Major League Baseball territory chart? They generally have more like 4-5 teams in each area. For example, the Reds go from Michigan to Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee, even parts of Alabama. and North Carolina. If they claim that far, I'm sure the Phillies get all of Pennsylvania.

The last chart I have has PA split in the following areas:

NW PA (my area) Pirates and Indians
Pitt Metro & SW PA = Pirates
Central PA = Orioles, Phillies, Pirates
Metro Philly & SE PA = Phillies
NE PA = Mets, Yankees, Phillies and Pirates

Directv claims that the blackout rules have changed "drastically" but they can't provide copies of these new rules outside of what is listed on the website.

Did you check...

the EI channels? I live just outside of Philly and the ESPN broadcast was blacked out but the SNY feed on channel 738 was on.

I have no idea what happened this year and I've posted questions about it previously but being able to get the Phillies games for the first time since getting D* in 1998 is fantastic. I hope it stays this way.

Directv always claims it's the networks or the leagues but can never back up their statments. I had the same problem with the NHL package for the first two weeks where I had an "improper blackout" (pretty bad they have term for it in their scripts). I understand mistakes happen, but admit to your mistakes. The thing that really boils my blood is their CSR's have no comprehension on the blackout policies and they start making things up. I'm starting to get the impression that D* wants to get rid of the RSN's and make everybody purchase the packages.

Game was on a local affiliate like UPN57 or was on CSN: both can have rights over ESPN in the claimed area.

http://upn57.com/sportssked/local_story_32953012_html

It is 99% the leagues and the affiliates fault when it comes to blackouts. They operate on the zip codes data base they are given. AND sometime there are mistakes. CSRs shouldn't be expected to know the BO rules; hell most of the leagues people don't even know.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't a CSR now about the blackout rules. What is the job of a CSR? To say I don't know?

CSRs read from a very basic script for very minor issues; and this IS their trained function.

BO rules are not a basic issue. If anything, you should have been offered to have the call escalated or asked to have it escalated.

The problem with MLB is that there are too many areas served by way too many TV outlets. They are screwing their own interests (users) just to have more TV money and ad revenue. BO rules are less than 1% the fault of the distributor like Dish or DirecTV and the call should be directed toward the teams ownership, the leagues and the FCC. They are the ONLY ones that control it and can change anything.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
CSRs read from a very basic script for very minor issues; and this IS their trained function.

BO rules are not a basic issue. If anything, you should have been offered to have the call escalated or asked to have it escalated.

The problem with MLB is that there are too many areas served by way too many TV outlets. They are screwing their own interests (users) just to have more TV money and ad revenue. BO rules are less than 1% the fault of the distributor like Dish or DirecTV and the call should be directed toward the teams ownership, the leagues and the FCC. They are the ONLY ones that control it and can change anything.

I do understand what you're saying, I did ask to have it escalated. In the past to have something escalated was just a tactic to get me off the phone. I was convinced it was a D* problem because it's not the first time it's happened and 2 of the 4 CSR's I talked to did say it was an improper blackout.

I did find out from that there was a "Sacred Scroll" (meaning the consumers aren't privy to it) signed by MLB and ESPN that they were able develop their own territorial rights apparantely on that as far as ESPN is concerned the Phillies do have territorial rights to all of PA. I'm at a point where I'm giving up on sports in general.

Is there any chance we can get D* to move ESPNU and CSTV off the Sports Pak?

Trainnut said:
I did find out from that there was a "Sacred Scroll" (meaning the consumers aren't privy to it) signed by MLB and ESPN that they were able develop their own territorial rights apparantely on that as far as ESPN is concerned the Phillies do have territorial rights to all of PA. I'm at a point where I'm giving up on sports in general.

It not a secret and it has been posted before, I am just not 100% sure of the thread or the web site, but it is public info. If I stumble on it again I will come back and post that link. It lists all the varius ways a user can be blacked out and by whom.

Sometime you may also want to check your RSN Alt channel; some areas have many; I have seen some with 4.

It should also be noted, that when an affiliate holds exclusicve rights (ESPN and MEI will be BO) and you do not get that affiliate via DBS, cable or OTA reception, then you will not see the game; even if you are in their claimed market. Basically, you are in their claimed area, but DBS only shows the big 4 networks and the game is WB, the CW or UPN, and you are just out of OTA range or do not have an antenna installed.

Is there any chance we can get D* to move ESPNU and CSTV off the Sports Pak?

You can always get a large group of people to email and call to suggest such changes, but realize its not liable to happen soon if at all.

Some basic Blackout Q&A

Blackout Information

Q: WHAT ARE BLACKOUTS?
A: Blackouts are regional television restrictions distributed in order to protect the local television rights’ holder broadcasting the game. Blackout restrictions are based on the home team’s television territory as defined by Major League Baseball.

Q: WHAT ARE THE NATIONAL BROADCAST RIGHTS/RESTRICTIONS?
A: During specific days/times, certain national broadcasters have exclusive television rights for distributing MLB games. No games are available on MLB EXTRA INNINGS during the following exclusive national broadcast windows:

ESPN Sunday Nights
ESPN has an exclusive national broadcast window for all MLB games on Sunday nights. No telecast can be made available for out-of-market distribution during this time. Any games that start after 5:00pm ET on these nights will not be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. The only games available during this time will be on ESPN or ESPN2 and your home team’s Regional Sports Network (RSN) or team affiliated Over-The-Air (OTA) station. Please see local listings for games available during these times.

FOX Network Saturdays
The FOX Television Network has an exclusive national broadcast window for all MLB games on certain Saturdays up until 7:00pm ET. No telecast can be made available for out-of-market distribution during this time and will not be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. The only games available during this time will be on FOX. Please see local listings for games available during these times. Any games available for the package that start after 7:00pm ET on Saturdays will be part of MLB EXTRA INNINGS.

Q: WHAT ARE THE LOCAL BROADCAST RIGHTS/RESTRICTIONS?
A: If you live in a zip code area that falls within an MLB team’s home television territory, that team’s games will be blacked-out from MLB EXTRA INNINGS. These games will generally be available on that team’s RSN or team affiliated OTA station. Blackouts protect the local rightsholders who arrange separate distribution agreements for their exclusive territories.

Q HOW ARE HOME MARKETS DETERMINED?
A: Counties/Zip Codes.

Last edited:
My apologies to DirecTV....Apparantely for some reason that makes no sense even to the Phillies, MLB is the entity that is restricting ESPN's telecasts this season. In the new ESPN contract the Phillies territory is all of PA except the six counties that surround Pittsburgh. The only thing that I can see MLB gaining from this is forcing fans to subscribe to MLB.TV or EI.

Train my man, you get the biggest pat on the back award, as I have never seen or read anyone ever come back and post an apology after their findings. You sir are a gentleman! If more people would search and read posts or track down the info like you did, the confusion and mis-info over the same issues would cease. Hears to your! Have a great day!

:)

I have the Sports Pak anf IE but still alot of shows on YES (Yankeeography etc ) are blackedout, anyone know why?

That and replays of old, classic games — like 1986 Mets games on SNY.

I have the SportsPak. I have EI. So what gives? Why are they blacking out such old content?

Mike McGann said:
That and replays of old, classic games — like 1986 Mets games on SNY.

I have the SportsPak. I have EI. So what gives? Why are they blacking out such old content?
I would imagine because Steinbrener only bought the rights to air the MLB copyrighted content in the RSN's coverage area. That would be the only reason that makes any sense to me.

charper1 said:
Train my man, you get the biggest pat on the back award, as I have never seen or read anyone ever come back and post an apology after their findings. You sir are a gentleman! If more people would search and read posts or track down the info like you did, the confusion and mis-info over the same issues would cease. Hears to your! Have a great day!

:)

I will accept a sip and toast of your best bourbon:bow

I've talked to the Phillies again on Friday and it really sounds like MLB went behind the Phillie's back in extending their territory. For the life of me I can't figure out what MLB is trying to accomplish....Thankfully I've got XM!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-blackouts061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"There is a hilarious commercial playing on the radio these days. It is for Major League Baseball's online video-streaming service, and the announcer states with all the zeal of a snake-oil salesman: "Sign up for MLB.TV and never miss a game again!"

Bill Reed is the punch line. He misses lots of games. For the last two years, Reed has subscribed to MLB.TV, and because he happens to live in Keokuk, Iowa, he has been subjected to baseball's television blackout rules rooted in the game's dark ages.

"I am closest to St. Louis (three hours away), yet I am blacked out for being 'local market' by my ZIP code for the following teams: Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins and the Milwaukee Brewers!" Reed wrote. "Tell me how I am considered local market for six different teams."

ADVERTISEMENT
I would love to tell him. I would love an answer as to why MLB believes it is prudent to keep every fan in Iowa from seeing up to 12 teams each day. Forget the Bermuda Triangle. The newest mystery is the Iowa Hexagon: Where Major League Baseball disappears. And as misguided as blackballing an entire state sounds, the problems run much further and wider. "

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)