D* Tech Support: 10 sec guide delay on HR20-700 is normal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I called D* tech support today to get help with a problem with my HR20-700 that has been getting progressively worse over the last couple years. I've noticed the time between when I press the "Guide" button (either on the front of my receiver or on the remote) and the time the guide pops up is now 7-8 seconds. When I press the "menu" button, the menu pops up right away, but then if I try to go to "My Playlist" it again takes 7-8 seconds. When the DVR was new, the guide would pop up almost instantaneously. Just changing channels (i.e. pressing channel up and channel down), the delay is around 4 seconds, which is what it has always been.

The D* rep told me it is normal to see delays up to 10 seconds for all D* HD DVRs (even the newer models) when bringing up the guide and going into "My Playlist".

Is everyone else seeing similar delays? I've seen threads on here that suggest this is a problem for some people, but she was suggesting everyone with a D* HD DVR has to deal with this. She said re-formatting the DVR may help.. Has anyone with the same problem tried this?

Thanks,
Dan

Ive seen several seconds on a H22, but 10 is extreme, and not normal, IMO.

I assume you've reset it?

How many series recordings do you have set?

I've tried resetting it.. That speeds it up for a while, but it eventually just gets bad again. I scanned the disk for errors and it completed without finding any so I assume the HD is ok.

My wife does have quite a few series recordings set.. Could that be what is causing it?

I kept blaming my DVR for getting slower & slower response times, but when I finally tried a different remote I saw a major improvement:up While it is still far from ideal, it is a lot better than before.

Just a thought....but the remotes can get a lot of abuse over time...

Try running the receiver in RF mode.
Just make sure you have the proper RC remote.

I noticed the remote commands took about 1-2 seconds less then before.

I have the HR23 and 3-5 Seconds is what it takes in IR mode to respond if and when it would respond without 2-3 attemps.

RF is about 2-4 sec. now, and Most times 1 click is all it takes.

10 seconds is extreme. You need to do a Hard reset. Unplug for about 1 minute.
It seems my HR23 needs this once every 3-4 weeks.

Ok, I just did a quick test.

HR24 to guide, about a half second

HR20-700 to guide 3-4 seconds, however, once I accessed the guide, subsequent times I tried it, it was about 2 seconds ...

HR20-700 to guide, 2 seconds.

I have the HR22, had it for about 2 years, and what I've seen is that there are times when I have to wait a few seconds for the Guide to display, and other times where the response is fast. I'd say that my average response time is about 3 seconds overall.

When I have had those times when the response is longer..... 5-6 seconds, I haven't tried any resets. I have found that this delay time gets shorter, back to my average time, within a short period of time.

I've never had a response time as long as 10 seconds, no more than 5 seconds.

My DVR usually runs between 60-70% used storage space if that affects this issue.

I don't have MRV. It's a SL5 install with 2 coax inputs to the HR22. I have another box in the house as well, HR23.

I believe Stonecold posted a code you can enter on the remote to keep it from sending additional information to the receiver. This is supposed to improve response time as well.

Sadly the 10 sec info the rep gave is correct in D*'s mind. If you haven't done it yet, turn off scrolling effects in your display. Then use this code on your remote....

-press mute & select together until green light on remote flashes twice
-press 963 & green light should flash again
-press channel down & green light should flash again

Then reset your receiver and hopefully you should be moving a bit faster.

Sadly the 10 sec info the rep gave is correct in D*'s mind. If you haven't done it yet, turn off scrolling effects in your display. Then use this code on your remote....

-press mute & select together until green light on remote flashes twice
-press 963 & green light should flash again
-press channel down & green light should flash again

Then reset your receiver and hopefully you should be moving a bit faster.

Last time someone tried this, he had NO remote functions when done.....

Maybe they did something different, don't know.

It shouldn't do that so I'm not sure what happened that time. All that code does is disable the model id that slows a remote down due to it relaying info back to the receiver. The only thing I can think of that would cause that response is if someone was trying to program between RF and IR and was getting stuck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.