D*TV 1080p Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lube39

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Charleston, SC
D*TV said that 1080p movies would be available by 12-31-2008. Any news on when 1080p movies will be available?

If they are available and I missed it, how will I know that my movie is in 1080p? Both my TV and AV receiver are 1080p capable.

D*TV said that 1080p movies would be available by 12-31-2008. Any news on when 1080p movies will be available?

If they are available and I missed it, how will I know that my movie is in 1080p? Both my TV and AV receiver are 1080p capable.

Some of us have been testing 1080P movies for a few months now.
Check the CE forums.

Jimbo

I watched the Hulk promo today so I guess my TV will play 1080p/24. Now I want some full length movies.

Keep in mind, Lube, only VOD's will be available in 1080P for the foreseeable future. You might have meant that but broadcast national channels are still a long time coming.

Remeber when HD was new? There was Discovery HD Theater, HBO and Showtime and that was about it?

What if Discovery HD Theater where to go 1080p late at night? What if it was full time 1080p even if some was up converted. They would be that new HD channel once again in cutting edge tech.
We could record all the great show in 1080p

DirecTV has plenty of extra HD Bandwitdth late at night when no one is watch HD PPV.
I could be done. Maybe 2-4 years from now, but I predict and dream it.

Hi Everyone

I am new here on the forums,(first post) I just hooked up my Internet yesterday to my HR22, I am starting to see menu and channel content downloaded to my receiver. I have tested my 1080p test with my TV and everything works. I am anxious to see the quality of 1080p on my set, ( I have no blue ray yet).
Where can i find the Hulk trailer just to see 1080p?

Is the 1080P logo listed on the menu entry when you browse, just trying to figure out how you can spot the 1080p content.

Thanks
Ray

Remeber when HD was new? There was Discovery HD Theater, HBO and Showtime and that was about it?

What if Discovery HD Theater where to go 1080p late at night? What if it was full time 1080p even if some was up converted. They would be that new HD channel once again in cutting edge tech.
We could record all the great show in 1080p

DirecTV has plenty of extra HD Bandwitdth late at night when no one is watch HD PPV.
I could be done. Maybe 2-4 years from now, but I predict and dream it.

There is no point of trasmitting 1080/60p, it will take up way too much bandwidth and gain very little benefit. All 1080p HD sets/HD receivers do just fine fed with 1080/60i and upconverting to 1080/60p, there is no resolution gain or loss.

The 1080p we are discussing are HD film-based materials shot in 24fps. The 1080/24p HDPPV shows we will be able to watch will actually use less bandwidth than the regular 1080/60i HD video shows.

Additionally only those HD sets that are built to take the advantage of the 1080/24p will benefit from those upcoming 1080p HD PPV shows. The majority of the current 1080p HD sets are not 24p compatible, only 60p, and will not get any added benefit from those "1080p" (1080/24p to be accurate) shows.

I just saw this on DIRECTV's site. Here is the URL: DIRECTV: 1080p - The Ultimate HD Experience

According to the DirecTV site, it says: "If you already have a DIRECTV system in place, you can check to see if your TV is 1080p-capable by clicking on Menu on your remote. Select Parental Fav's and Setup and hit System Setup. Choose HDTV and use the arrows to highlight the TV Resolutions tab. You'll see the HD formats your TV supports."

I just got my Samsung LN46A650 TV that is connected with HDMI from the receiver, but the 1080p checkbox is grayed out. Do I need a special CE release to make it enabled? I currently have the national release 0x2af.

This stuff is still all in beta with some sets receiving it & still not being able to play anything. You can do a quick search, but I think it is currently only supporting 24hz at 1920 x 1080. The only thing it's currently good for is VOD's & I think that library is limited to one movie which was taken down a few weeks ago. In fairness to D, I only tried it once when it was first available & it was a 12-hr download at my miserable ISP connection.

I got a new Samsung 1080p TV and decided to try the 1080p on D*. When I watch a blu-ray, the TV info shows 1080 instead of the usual D* 1080i on HD channels. I downloaded the movie trailers for Hellboy II and Ghost Town which both said they were 1080p. When I watch them however, the info on the TV still says 1080i instead of the 1080 that I was expecting. Are these not showing up in 1080p or am I missing something?

I got a new Samsung 1080p TV and decided to try the 1080p on D*. When I watch a blu-ray, the TV info shows 1080 instead of the usual D* 1080i on HD channels. I downloaded the movie trailers for Hellboy II and Ghost Town which both said they were 1080p. When I watch them however, the info on the TV still says 1080i instead of the 1080 that I was expecting. Are these not showing up in 1080p or am I missing something?

Make sure you have the 1080p boxed checked in the resolutions options.

Bill

Make sure you have the 1080p boxed checked in the resolutions options.

For some unknown reason, the 1080p box is grayed out and I can't check it. I have an HDMI cable connecting the HR20-700 to my receiver and an HDMI cable connecting the receiver to my TV. I am still on x2af software if that makes a difference.

For some unknown reason, the 1080p box is grayed out and I can't check it. I have an HDMI cable connecting the HR20-700 to my receiver and an HDMI cable connecting the receiver to my TV. I am still on x2af software if that makes a difference.

Try hooking it straight to the TV and resetting it and see if the problem persists.

Bill

Got it and it was my mistake. I have two HR20-700's and forgot that when I got a PS3 at Christmas, since my receiver only supports 2 HDMI inputs, I had to give the HDMI to the PS3 so the receiver I was trying it on was connected via composite. The other DVR does play the trailers fine. Guess once 1080p becomes more popular, I'll have to get a new receiver. :( Thanks for the help.

Not sure what the big buzz is about 1080p HD PPV movies. I would take Blu-ray over anything anyday. For those who don't have Blu-ray yet I guess the 1080p HD PPV movies would do, but the bitrates are going to be considerably less than that of Blu-ray and I wonder how much difference there is going to be between a 1080i vs. 1080p HD PPV movie. The quality can't be that great.

Not sure what the big buzz is about 1080p HD PPV movies. I would take Blu-ray over anything anyday. For those who don't have Blu-ray yet I guess the 1080p HD PPV movies would do, but the bitrates are going to be considerably less than that of Blu-ray and I wonder how much difference there is going to be between a 1080i vs. 1080p HD PPV movie. The quality can't be that great.

If you have a TV that can do 1080p at 24fps, you get a picture at the original framerate with little conversion. The bandwidth savings from not dealing with the other frames can allow more detail in the same amount of bandwidth (versus 1080i60). 1080p24 can give you more accurate picture information than 1080i60 in the same or less bandwidth.

Blue-Ray is great, but you can't really compare downloading a file to going to the store.

If you have a TV that can do 1080p at 24fps, you get a picture at the original framerate with little conversion. The bandwidth savings from not dealing with the other frames can allow more detail in the same amount of bandwidth (versus 1080i60). 1080p24 can give you more accurate picture information than 1080i60 in the same or less bandwidth.

Blue-Ray is great, but you can't really compare downloading a file to going to the store.
Your exactly right. I shouldn't be comparing really. I guess what I was just saying though is that Blu-ray is the best option for people who of course have Blu-ray. 1080p PPV movies would be a great option for those who don't want to run out and rent a Blu-ray movie. I am just extremely stingy when it comes to picture quality. I have even been called a Blu-ray snob. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts