Daily updates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Any chance Dish might do away with the daily updates and maybe go to a weekly one? I keep changing around my time to keep it from interferring with might recordings. It gets irritating when you forget and right in th middle of a movie, WHAM there goes the reboot!!

I don't know why it should need to reboot to update the guide. Nor should it in any circumstances reboot if it's active. It just sounds like gross stupidity on the part of Dish's programmers.

I don't know why it should need to reboot to update the guide. Nor should it in any circumstances reboot if it's active. It just sounds like gross stupidity on the part of Dish's programmers.
You're a programmer and you know better?

No, but it's just inconceivable. They should be able to program it however they want, and it should be done in a consumer-friendly manner.

I have a 722 and have never had a recording ruined by anything other than weather. You might want to give Dish a ring and ask to speak with a Tech. Your DVR should not be doing this.

I have a 722 and have never had a recording ruined by anything other than weather. You might want to give Dish a ring and ask to speak with a Tech. Your DVR should not be doing this.
I agree. Its never blocked or cancelled a recording. I got my Dual room set for 8 am since it does 2 bedrooms and the kids and wife heading for the school. So that best time. My 2 612's are set for 4:55 so when I get up at 5:00 they are already done. Quite frankly I really don't have an issue with the update proccess. My receiver always ask me if I want to proceed if I happen to be watching something. Sometimes I'll click No, Sometimes Yes. I've never Had the receivers just reboot in the middle of a program with out giving me the option.

Daily reboot is to clear garbage out of OS and start fresh.

All kinds of spurrious data gets colledted especilally wit OTA signals that can mess up the OS, so a daily reboot is their answer to software that must run on slightly varying hardware (different model types within each model).

STB's will NOT update during any recordings! Don't worry about it. I have observed that it will update at the first opportunity after recordings have finished. I have even observed it updating (rebooting) before the scheduled time. The only problem is if you are playing back to record to standalone DVD, VCR, etc. Otherwise, set it for a time in the wee hours and it should not be a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts