Dallas Directv Installer - BAD Experience

Status
Please reply by conversation.

netwerkthis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
FTWorth Tx
My folks moved from Cali to FT Worth a few weeks ago and took up Directv Free movers package. We called in ahead of time double checking the order for a new HD Dish on the roof, 1 HDDVR, 1 Tivo & 1 basic recvr.

As we know the HD DVR and Tivo both require dual RG6 so we figured the installer would just pull new cable from the attic. This being all layed out here is what happened.

Install setup for a Tue 8-12noon appt.
1030a Installer calls, says hes running late, Going to be 330pm ish.
4pm Installer calls, Says hes on the way, We said you only have 2hrs of daylight come next morning, He agrees. Now Wed 8am.

Wed Day 2, 9am Installer shows up, He looks over things and says,
Ok it will be $120. We smiled and said No, Its free under the movers package. He gets defensive in his spanish accent, well I have 2 double coax pulls, thats $60ea since they are inside the walls. Scratching our heads we asked what doesnt cost money. He said pulling it down the outside wall from the attic but you said you want inside walls. I said forget it then, Ill work with you and make it easy.. All outside pulls and go thru the walls behind the tvs. The 3rd drop will just be a cut into the existing cable for the standard tv. He then changes his attitude to more defensive at this point, Well then its still $120 because you want 2 coax for the HDTV DVR, Im like WHAT..Thats not what you said..

I asked to speak to his supv as hes ripping us off.
He calls the Supv explains and is bitching to the guy about the job.
That he might not even have enough cable..WTF.
He hangs up without me talking to his,
Hes back as explaining why its going to cost..that DTV doesnt tell customers that there is a max of about 120ft total.
We said..sorry not our problem..They said free..They new our account
We also Said we have been DTV customers for OVER 20 YEARS on the $100+ account all that time.
Hes getting really ugly at this point saying its now too much work for him
So I said Ill help you myself in the attic. Ill show u where to pull and help.
He walks around the house now saying..I dont even have silicon to patch the holes in the walls for you and I have to back charge DTV for all these expenses..Bitching and moaning like I have never seen any contractor Ever do infront of a customer.. He even had the balls to say
F This S infront of us.

I said get your boss on the phone now.
He did..I said this guy doesnt want to work I want want it done
Hes been bitching about it for 45min and Nothing is done.
I want it and I want it free.. Now.
His boss told him to start working at no cost to us.
Someone also dropped off 500' of double coax which he Never needed.
After 4hrs. He was done and ugly. Didnt even want to wait for the boxes to download the guides but did.
Had me sign off on the work order and left
A day later the contractor company called to follow up about the issue
My Dad had a nice calm 20min call with them explaining all the BS he went thru.

A day after that he went out to get his tool bucket that Was sitting right near the main door..It was gone.. Spent 3 days tearing up the house and garage looking for it.. Nothing and it was there. No one else had been visiting and it was in direct line from the house door to his truck
We didnt walk the guy out so were sure he snagged it on his last walk out to the truck.. Well we filed a report with the contractor company
in which the owner said he believe us and would try to follow up
we havent heard anything but whats done is done.

Ive heard alot of bad installs from lazy sloppy contractors out there.
Im sure there are very good ones also but this one was just Hell.

My folks moved from Cali to FT Worth a few weeks ago and took up Directv Free movers package. We called in ahead of time double checking the order for a new HD Dish on the roof, 1 HDDVR, 1 Tivo & 1 basic recvr.

As we know the HD DVR and Tivo both require dual RG6 so we figured the installer would just pull new cable from the attic. This being all layed out here is what happened.

4pm Installer calls, Says hes on the way, We said you only have 2hrs of daylight come next morning, He agrees. Now Wed 8am.

Ok it will be $120. We smiled and said No, Its free under the movers package. He gets defensive in his spanish accent, well I have 2 double coax pulls, thats $60ea since they are inside the walls. Scratching our heads we asked what doesnt cost money. He said pulling it down the outside wall from the attic but you said you want inside walls. I said forget it then, Ill work with you and make it easy.. All outside pulls and go thru the walls behind the tvs. The 3rd drop will just be a cut into the existing cable for the standard tv. He then changes his attitude to more defensive at this point, Well then its still $120 because you want 2 coax for the HDTV DVR, Im like WHAT..Thats not what you said..

Hes back as explaining why its going to cost..that DTV doesnt tell customers that there is a max of about 120ft total.
We also Said we have been DTV customers for OVER 20 YEARS on the $100+ account all that time.
He walks around the house now saying..I dont even have silicon to patch the holes in the walls for you and I have to back charge DTV for all these expenses..Bitching and moaning like I have never seen any contractor Ever do infront of a customer.. He even had the balls to say
F This S infront of us.

After 4hrs. He was done and ugly. Didnt even want to wait for the boxes to download the guides but did.

A day after that he went out to get his tool bucket that Was sitting right near the main door..It was gone.. Spent 3 days tearing up the house and garage looking for it.. Nothing and it was there. No one else had been visiting and it was in direct line from the house door to his truck
We didnt walk the guy out so were sure he snagged it on his last walk out to the truck.. Well we filed a report with the contractor company

I can believe what you say here, except how can you be a 20 year customer of a business that has only been around 13 years?

I can believe what you say here, except how can you be a 20 year customer of a business that has only been around 13 years?

Little lost on your comment...Whats been around only 13yrs?
Directv...Hmm perhaps Im wrong..thought they have been around longer
But it was my Dad speaking about the 20yrs with the guy..
I Frankly am on Dish.. I wont give Direct my money.

what wrong with him having a spanish accent? i installed for a year in the houston area and i was the only one without an spanish accent some barely spoke english and i was a great tech but man some of those techs did unbelivable work but we were all direct installers also i have had to clean up a ton of contract jobs!!

F This S infront of us.

Anytime a installer has to wallfish wires there is a extra charge for this no matter what D* says, they will tell you anything you want to hear. The contractor shouldnt have been as rude as he was but ya have to see from his point also D* pays the installer only for a certain type of install and anything beyond this is up to the customer to cover the expenses!! A 60 dollar wallfish for a dual cable isnt bad considering a electricain would have been double that. A free install is a BASIC install!!!! I wish people owuld get that!!!

Either way, this guy was bad, he didn't have the required materials and he stole from the customer. He could get in trouble with the law if they can prove he stole the tools.

F This S infront of us.

Sorry guy but you started off wrong. Wall fishing isn't part of standard install or movers connection. Yeah you got it free after complaining but I would have left your house.

Did you want them wall fished or was the installer the one that came up with it.

Did you want them wall fished or was the installer the one that came up with it.

"As we know the HD DVR and Tivo both require dual RG6 so we figured the installer would just pull new cable from the attic. This being all layed out here is what happened."

I had charter cable since 2002, I had Dish network a year from 2001-2002, I thank god the installer was great, he did everything right, and he was around 45-50 years of age, and very nice guy :) he installed the satellite and it was supposed to be put on the pole, not on the roof, and he took down the dish again and installed on the pole and he even used some white silicon to cover up the holes, and no extra charge! He did such a great job, I even tipped him 20$ :)
If you go an extra mile for the customer, the customer will go an extra mile for you :)

We had a bad and sloppy install also. Installer didn't test anything after setup, show us how anything worked, and left trash, cable pieces, and extra holes on the facia of the house. On top of that, we got severe pixelation and errors for a week until another installer came and fixed was he described as a "bad install".

What's worse, DirecTV doesn't seem to care. We called them and they gave us $10 for the week without service but didn't seem to care that the original installer didn't do what DirecTV advertises on an installation and didn't seem to care that we needed to set aside another 6 hours of our time for another installer. 2 calls and 1 email and we've gotten a "sorry, that's too bad, it happens sometimes".

I had charter cable since 2002, I had Dish network a year from 2001-2002, I thank god the installer was great, he did everything right, and he was around 45-50 years of age, and very nice guy :) he installed the satellite and it was supposed to be put on the pole, not on the roof, and he took down the dish again and installed on the pole and he even used some white silicon to cover up the holes, and no extra charge! He did such a great job, I even tipped him 20$ :)
If you go an extra mile for the customer, the customer will go an extra mile for you :)

If my memory is right, at that time, the installer was get like $150 per single room installed. Now the install price was less then half of that amount. Most qualified installers are most gone for good.

It's life and this things happen time to time. Sorry to hear that gotten a bad install.
Some ppl are more expressive and some are more reserved. My installer said, " Oh s**t" couple of times during the install.

Frankly I felt for the guy as it seem he was having a bad day.
I work with telco vendors everyday myself being in the voice and data field
But what I have issues with is
He said it was $60 per drop/tv to fish the walls.
Outside the wall was free. So I said, Ok..outside..thats when he changed
his story and still wanted his $120.
I know D comps them. Time was not an issue if you omit his bitching to me and time wasted bitching to someone else on the phone for 40min.

Either way its done and alot of that is because I didnt toss him out
as I knew it would be 2wks to get another back.

He was reported to his company for possible theft. A week later and still no calls so I just say Fate will handle it.

I dont agree with some of you who say we should have paid either way, D just doesnt tell me that. D said moves/reconnect are free. IF thats not the deal then they need to correct it.

I also did check my records and we have been with D since the late 80s
so thats a solid account, perhaps to solid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts