Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As we have reported before, Dallas Distant Networks are going away on Dish Network.

I have just received an email from someone letting me know that people who currently have Dallas as their Distant Network choice are seeing the following screen.
We are no longer able to provide you with the Dallas Distan Broadcast Networks. During the week of April 26, 2004, we will provide you with Distant Broadcast Networks from another city.

Please refer to the letter you received for more detailed information. Call 1-800-333-DISH is you have any questions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I was surprised to hear that they are going to be dropping Denver as well (given that Denver is the only Mountain timezone package available).

I wonder why they don't just get to where they seem to be heading and make it NYC and LA as your only choices? :)

Also, I wish they would allow you to get all of the stations for the Distant area, and not just the "big 4"...

Its going to be just like Direct TV once there new 7s Sat goes up in May.

NT and LA only for distants , everything else on Spot Beams.

I don't believe that they are allowed to sell more tha the big 4 nets. You can get the superstations for WB and UPN----or most folks can.

Spot beam

You had to believe this move was coming soon since the Austin locals were recently moved off a spot beam at 110 to a spot beam on 119. The spot beam on 110 was shared with 4 Dallas locals and by moving the Austin locals to 119 that clears the way for 7-8 more Dallas locals to be placed on that beam on 110.

Of course that will free up some space on some conus tp.s. and guess we will find out in the next month or so if that space will be used for more locals or whatever.

juan said:
I thought Dallas went away last year?

being sold as distants...yes

but they had to give ample time for people who were grandfathered in and Dish had to figure out where to put them.

I have had them for as long as they have been around. I used to live in a town where I could get them. Now I live where I cannot get the distant locals. Since I have had them for awhile I amd grandfathered in and as long as I don't turn them off I can keep them. Now they are going to turn them off for me and I will end up with some local channels from a city I care nothing about.

WTguy said:
You had to believe this move was coming soon since the Austin locals were recently moved off a spot beam at 110 to a spot beam on 119. The spot beam on 110 was shared with 4 Dallas locals and by moving the Austin locals to 119 that clears the way for 7-8 more Dallas locals to be placed on that beam on 110.

Of course that will free up some space on some conus tp.s. and guess we will find out in the next month or so if that space will be used for more locals or whatever.
WT,

Dish needs some conus bandwidth at 119 to add the Sirius Music Channels as Dish will be adding ALL 60 Sirius MUSIC Streams to all Packages above Top60 which would preclude putting them on 119. Even with the removal of the Muzak Stereo Audio channels Dish is in a Bind at 119.

John

JohnL said:
Dish needs some conus bandwidth at 119 to add the Sirius Music Channels as Dish will be adding ALL 60 Sirius MUSIC Streams to all Packages above Top60 which would preclude putting them on 119. Even with the removal of the Muzak Stereo Audio channels Dish is in a Bind at 119.
And since Musak isn't leaving 119 they have some serious cramming to do (or Serius cramming :) ).

JL

Urgent Programming Update - Dallas, Texas

All,

Effective Wednesday, April 28, the Dallas Big 4 networks will be moved to spot beam and will no longer be available as distant broadcast networks for anyone living outside of the spot beam area. So customers do not lose their programming, we will provide them with distant broadcast networks from another city.

Please note the following timeline and communication plan:

April 9 - Letters
Letters will be sent to customers explaining that we are no longer
able to provide them with the Dallas Distant Broadcast Networks.
This letter will outline the service(s) they are receiving, which service(s)they are being switched to and the channel number where they can find the new service(s).​

April 14th - EPG/Slates
Two new channels (8399 and 8412) will be launched to Dallas
distant customers who live outside of the Dallas spot beam coverage.
These two channels will carry a slate that informs the customer that we
are no longer able to provide their Dallas service(s) and that new service(s) will be substituted. The current Dallas Big 4 stations will continue to carry the usual EPG language, extended EPG information and network programming.​

April 16th - Autodial
We will autodial the customers communicating that their distant
service(s) will be replaced with other distant service(s).​

Week of April 26 - Customers will receive new programming
Customers' accounts will be updated with the new programming by April 28.​
April 28 - Dallas Stations Move to Spot
The Dallas broadcast networks will be moved to spot and no longer available to customers who live outside of the spot. Channels 8399 and 8412 will remain on the EPG.​
May 5 - EPG/Slates
Channels 8399 and 8412 will be removed from the EPG.​