Dallas HD news

Status
Please reply by conversation.
plugplay said:
Will they likely allow us to upgrade without deactivating our HD-Tivo for a large credit as I would still like to keep my Tivo?

To get a free or very low cost replacement or programming credit you will have to give back your old box and no exceptions will be made. I know many people will be upset about that but that happens to be the way life works.

Yeah, i'm just going to transfer all mine to DVD recorder, but the Battlestar Galactica in HD I have is a real bummer so I understand your frustration in that regards. I guess sometimes you just have to bite the bullet though.

LonghornXP said:
To get a free or very low cost replacement or programming credit you will have to give back your old box and no exceptions will be made. I know many people will be upset about that but that happens to be the way life works.

To quote my own post I should have said that you would have between 14 and 30 days to send your old box back after you get your replacement. They would either give you prepaid postage to send it back or they would schedule a date for a tech to pick the box up when your done but still within that time period. I'm also hearing that if a customer requests extra time they would not get the credit until the box is returned. There will be options but you will eventually have to give the box back but you will have time to watch everything.

LonghornXP,
I have a Sony HD300 (love it)...but would love a HD-DVR.....so, say I upgrade to their HD-DVR, pay rental...........do I keep my $600 Sony HD300?
Also, your guess is D* is going to raise the cost of the HD Package (12.95-14.95 @ month).........I pray there is alot of new HD progamming for the increase.

Barney

I would think there would be definitely. The issue in future will be what happens when D* reaches critical mass of HD sets (when hd sets outnumber sd). HD will be the standard, so how does D* justify charging extra for what will be its plain programming in future. I think in about 8-10 years D* will have a real issue because all it takes is one provider to break ranks with pricing schemes then you lose major revenue for a couple of years because your initial product values are falsely inflated. Think of it like charging extra for color tv broadcasts, somebody is going to get burned either by market values or the eventual smackdown that would be laid on by the FCC. It only takes one true census of american households with more HD sets, then in the boxing match "it's on". Its not an issue right now but it will be. The only thing that D* needs to be careful of now is the slippery slope that could occur with percieved price gouging. A parrallel I would draw would be the class action lawsuit against the music industry where they were overcharging for cd's as production and manufacturing costs get cheaper over time, but the price of cds didn't. I know it sounds far fetched, but it is possible.

Barneypoo69 said:
LonghornXP,
I have a Sony HD300 (love it)...but would love a HD-DVR.....so, say I upgrade to their HD-DVR, pay rental...........do I keep my $600 Sony HD300?
Also, your guess is D* is going to raise the cost of the HD Package (12.95-14.95 @ month).........I pray there is alot of new HD progamming for the increase.

Barney

If you want to keep your current HD box you can rent the new HD DVR but you won't get any programming credits. But once you rent the HD DVR you can always upgrade to the multiroom HD DVR by swapping out your current HD DVR just like you would do with cable.

Now again to get any type of replacement or programming credit you have to return D* something within their set time period.

The rental prices for all the HD boxes will be the same for new and existing customers regardless of what SD or HD hardware you have today or don't have today for that matter.

Also if the price is raised on the HD Package they will have "many" new national HD channels nut just 5 new channels. Now I haven't heard that they would increase the price but my thinking is why wouldn't they if they can and another provider is doing it today and with success.

So the government has forced the cable companies to provide Firewire options for their customers. Is there any chance the new D* equipment will have firewire? I would be willing to put a Mac in my living room as a DVR and internet access if I could record shows over firewire.

macmantis said:
So the government has forced the cable companies to provide Firewire options for their customers. Is there any chance the new D* equipment will have firewire? I would be willing to put a Mac in my living room as a DVR and internet access if I could record shows over firewire.

I think DBS should be required to provide firewire upon request but sadly DBS doesn't have to follow the same rules as cable. Now with that said cable companies have rules they don't have to follow like DBS does. This is the way the industry works. Either way I think both cable and DBS providers must provide firewire upon request.

I still have my PowerMac G5 ready for H.264 encoding of HD movies over firewire. I might even consider getting a high end windows xp machine if I could encode into WMV-HD with WMAPro 5.1 and burn it onto a blank DVD. Now I have a Pioneer receiver that can decode WMAPro 5.1 sound so all I need is a DVD Player that can play WMV HD and pass through the WMAPro 5.1 sound. Now I'd be willing to pay top dollar if Apple could provide something similiar that would just work and be very easy. That is what I love about the Mac is that it just works and just isn't a pain. I can do more work but why should I for entertainment.

LonghornXP from your response I gather Firewire is not going to be on the options coming for the MPEG4 upgrades. My other question I forgot to ask is my Samsung TS-360 can upconvert a component, svideo, or composite signal to HD resolution. It is not high quality, but good enough for my RPTV, so I only have one convergence point to maintain. Will these new MPEG4 boxes has this same feature.

macmantis said:
LonghornXP from your response I gather Firewire is not going to be on the options coming for the MPEG4 upgrades. My other question I forgot to ask is my Samsung TS-360 can upconvert a component, svideo, or composite signal to HD resolution. It is not high quality, but good enough for my RPTV, so I only have one convergence point to maintain. Will these new MPEG4 boxes has this same feature.

Probably not, because in the industries mind it's too hard to secure, but more likely it's not the norm like windows/usb is. I wish we would get firewire too, but its just not going to happen unfortunately.

ocnier said:
Probably not, because in the industries mind it's too hard to secure, but more likely it's not the norm like windows/usb is. I wish we would get firewire too, but its just not going to happen unfortunately.

For us to get firewire it would have to be a government mandate as it is with cable. I promise you that cable companies would never have offered firewire if they didn't have to.

Hi, I just got an HDTV and I really don't like cable, the standard definition looks like it was filmed in the 70's!

Anyhow, I about choked when I called DirecTV and they wanted over a grand for an HD DVR. I am not familiar with any of this talk about dishes being replaced and this announcement you are all speaking of, so maybe you could fill me in. The renting thing definitly sounds like it would be a good thing for me, does DirecTV do renting with their equipment currently? Or is this come with the new technology that is coming later this year. It sounds like I will save a lot of money by waiting. Thanks for the help!

jb23fan said:
Hi, I just got an HDTV and I really don't like cable, the standard definition looks like it was filmed in the 70's!

Anyhow, I about choked when I called DirecTV and they wanted over a grand for an HD DVR. I am not familiar with any of this talk about dishes being replaced and this announcement you are all speaking of, so maybe you could fill me in. The renting thing definitly sounds like it would be a good thing for me, does DirecTV do renting with their equipment currently? Or is this come with the new technology that is coming later this year. It sounds like I will save a lot of money by waiting. Thanks for the help!

The renting would be new. You can soon rent the basic HD DVR which should be out late summer early fall and the HMC will be a rental as well when it comes out by years end. I also think the basic HD box will be a rental as well but that I can't promise. If you want an HD DVR and it seems you do I suggest waiting because you will save quite a bit of money to say the least.

jb23fan said:

Dude just check with value electronics, one of the sponsors of this site. They can hook you up for way cheaper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts